Is FeLV Test Necessary for this Cat?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've done research on this and I'm undecided on what to do. My aunt's cat (Dee) has to come live with me permanently. I'm not sure if she needs to have an FeLV test first or not.

She's around 13 years old. She lived with other cats who went outside and I'm not sure if they were ever tested or vaccinated. One cat who supposedly tested negative at adoption 11 years ago, recently got very sick very suddenly and had to be PTS. It's thought she had cancer and I was told she had fluid in her chest.

I think one of the other cats did have FeLV vaccinations for a while when she was an outside cat. She was healthy-ish when she was PTS last year. She went blind and my aunt and uncle decided to euthanize her.

I know nothing about the third cat (Foxy) other than it was over 10 y/o and spent about 12 hrs a day outside. My understanding is that cat was fairly healthy but went blind rather suddenly and the owner decided to euthanize. I know nothing about it's vaccination history. I believe it was PTS between 2016-2018.

We all live in a rural-ish area. At the time the two cats were outside, there were no other cats around that anyone knew of.

I don't think Dee and Foxy shared any litter boxes, food bowls or water bowls. If they did, it was not on a daily basis, just sporadically. Dee did share bowls and litter boxes with the other two. There was no mutual grooming between Dee and the other cats.

We've lived in the same area for 30+ years and we've never seen a cat with FeLV and we do get lots of strays. My understanding is that only about 3% of cats in shelters are positive for FeLV. So that makes me think the risk of Dee having it is pretty much non-existent.

My cats are between 6 and 14 and are indoor only. They will eventually be sharing bowls, plates and litter boxes.

I'd like to have opinions on this. My gut is telling me Dee is negative, based on what I've said above. I've had strays/ferals with questionable histories that were negative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Part of the issue is that my aunt's children are complaining about the cost, especially since the cat was just at the vet two months ago. My cousins are paying for the cat's food and vet care out of my aunt's bank account.

The vet charges around $55 for the test. I'm not sure if they will let me bring in the cat without an exam which is $60.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you can swing it financially, you might as well have her tested, for your own peace of mind. Odds are if she ever had FeLV and has lived this long, she was able to clear the virus and would test negative now. At Dee's age, unless just very recently exposed to FeLV, she would not have likely made it to this age. I take your cats have been vaccinated? If so, it doesn't entirely eliminate the chances of contracting it, but certainly reduces them. And, you are correct in that, FeLV is becoming less prevalent - probably because of vaccinations and more indoor only cats, and better cat care in general.

If you really want to be the primary caretaker of Dee, then somehow you need to review how you can pay for everything regarding her care. Otherwise, you will be in this continuous 'revolving door' of being complained to about Dee's care. It sounds like you are the one who probably has the best appreciation for how to take care of cats and keep them safe and healthy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is a one time test, if that would help to persuade them.No further treatment. If the cat is positive, it becomes another discussion. I agree with you that it is likely that the cat is not FeLV positive but it is a chance that you have to take. I have never had a cat test positive for the condition and this is over many years of working with strays and ferals only who would seem to be at more risk of having something communicable.