Is Feline Pine Dangerous? Alternatives?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously?!  You're using ONE litter box for SIX kittens?  You shouldn't be raising young animals you know nothing about.  A minimum is one box for two kittens=THREE separate boxes.  If you have grown cats ONE box for EACH cat in the household.

I've used this type litter with my cats for decades.  But the same rule applies for any type of litter:  one box for each adult cat.  The boxes don't have to be huge, just separate.  You may (probably will) find some have a favorite and it is used by several of your brood.  The point is to give them choice, scoop solids daily, and don't ever think you can just leave it and forget it for days on end.  You are responsible for these feline lives; they need and deserve love and respect and owe you nothing toward your own convenience.
The post you're referring to is from 10 years ago. I do think, though, that the poster was referring to litter training 6 young kittens who could share a box while they learned.

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the equine pellets which are the exact same thing as Feline Pine.  Tractor Suppy sells the pellets in a 40 lb bag for $5.99.  I love using it because the clumping clay litter is a royal mess in my foster kitten room.  The pine pellets absorb odors and is easy to keep clean.  I use the sifting litter boxes available from the Feline Pine website. Just scoop the poop and let the urine soaked litter sift to the bottom tray.  You can order up to 5 boxes for the same shipping cost.  Makes it very reasonable if you order a lot.  

CindymeCindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even though this is an old post, I have to reply... You act as though these rules were written by God or something. I happen to have 5 adult cats sharing one extra large box. I work from home and scoop that box probably 6 times a day. it is always pristine. So... don't need multiple boxes as long as you keep the box clean lol

CindymeCindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm more worried about where the Equine Pine and other wood litters come from. Unless they are virgin, they most certainly are coming from scrap wood that may have been treated with all sorts of chemicals. I think I will stick with my Grass Seed litter. It smells sweet like sugar cookies and clumps super hard. I've had the same litter now for over a month with 5 cats and there's still zero smell except for a sweetness (sweet grass??).