Is every Birth messy?

joanne2872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had her kitties last night but i didnt notice an after birth. I did take a nap after the last kitten was born, since they seemed very healthy and were suckling. I was exhausted from keeping an eye on her for 30 hours, It was 4 am too. Soo i dont know if there was an after birth or if it is possible she ate it?

Its just too wierd that her birth was clean, no mess except for the waters and some blood. Normal?

When should i take momma and kittens for their first check up? Right now everything seems perfect. Babies eating, momma eating and drinking as well.

One more question.. The kittens are now 19 hours old. Is it possible she can still have more kittens inside?

Thanks,
JOanne

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say congradulations on your new babies
- Someone will be along to answer the questions you have concerning the mother and babies. I will say that when Nome had her first litter it was a very long labour pretty well 13 hours. It was pretty clean " I don't mean to be gross " but she continued to clean herself up during the labor and she ate the afterbirth tissue as well. So this maybe why it seems clean to you.

Again as I mentioned someone will be along to answer your questions

Congrats to you

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a long time since I've had any intact queens in my life.

All of the births I've witness were very clean.
Yes, the mother eats the placentas (1 per baby), as gross as it sounds, she instinctually knows that this is very high in protein and good for her.
They are said to also help stimulate milk production.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joanne2872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok thanks.

That makes me feel a whole lot better lol.. I really thought this was odd, because reading all about labor and delivery, made it seem like this was going to be very messy..

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While it is going on it can be messy, but little Momma cats are pretty fastidious about cleaning things up - it is instinctual. They don't want a bunch of birthing fluids and remains hanging around because the scent could bring on predators that would harm or kill her and the babies. Even indoor-only cats are quite particular about it. If the birthing nest stays messy, they will move the kittens to a safer place.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but not all cats have the intinct to eat up everything either...when my kitty had her kittens, she refused to cut the cord, so i had to do it!! talk about nervous!! had a vet book in front of me and followed it word for word. she also didn't break the sac so the kittens could breath, she just pushed them out and looked at me as if to say, your turn. but it still wasn't very messy. i am used to seeing cows giving birth, my grandparents had a farm. so i was assuming a mess with the cat, although a lot smaller. but to my surprise there was little blood. she just wanted nothing to do with the cleanup...with what little afterbirth there was. what a stinker, i think i was more nervous than she was!!!

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

How many???

Also, Lilo had 7 almost 5 weeks ago and she had them under my bed. Very,very clean. All that was there was a little water (that was a little pink i guess from a little blood) Lilo and 7 beautiful kittens. 1 died 2 days later.

RIP.. Angel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joanne2872

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow 7!!

A handful !
congrats! aww im so sorry to hear about angel

My girl had a litter of four - 2 boys and 2 girls

Been 2 days now, and they are doing great. I am still a little nervous about the "fading kitten thing" So it wakes me up every night to go and check if they are alive.

My last cat was a stray i took in, it was a blizzard outside, and she was pregnant, almost due. She was only around 8 months old. she had a litter of 7, they all died within 2 days, and so did the momma cat
It was very sad.

So now im paranoid with my girl and her litter. But so far all healthy. Hope it stays this way

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne2872

My last cat was a stray i took in, it was a blizzard outside, and she was pregnant, almost due. She was only around 8 months old. she had a litter of 7, they all died within 2 days, and so did the momma cat
It was very sad.

So now im paranoid with my girl and her litter. But so far all healthy. Hope it stays this way
I bet the loss of the stray and her kittens had a lot to do with inadequate nutrition. Your babies will probably be fine.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like me!

I check on them all the time.
I worry about them I guess. But they are doing great. Stronger everyday!!
Yours will be fine, I just know it. It just helps to think positive.

I am sorry to hear about your stray and her babies. 7 kittens for an 8 month old kitten is awful. Poor little sweetheart.

You are doing a great job ... keep it up