Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Is Dry Food Necessary?

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by hleeeex3, Jan 30, 2018.

1. hleeeex3

hleeeex3 Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 8, 2017
    Hi everyone!

Just had a quick question... Is dry food really necessary? My cat has been coughing up hairballs once a week and I'm thinking about just eliminating dry food and giving her wet. I give her a full can of wet food everyday (3 oz) and a little under a 1/4 scoop of dry. The vet was saying she could possibly have a food allergy, but doesn't really show the symptoms (we give her mainly chicken). I've ordered laxatone and I'm hoping it helps with hairballs, but was wondering if an all wet food diet would help as well. Also, is it a myth that dry food helps with cats teeth? :lol:

Furballsmom purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    It's a myth regarding dry food and their teeth, and no, dry food isn't necessary. You could, along with increasing the wet food amount and using an adult cat body chart so you know if she's at her correct weight, try different proteins including the novel ones like rabbit etc, and see if the hairballs slow down. You're brushing her a lot?

Summercats and kirathecat purraised this.

3. Timmer

Timmer TCS Member Super Cat

Jan 10, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    The vet I had for years, who is now retired, used to tell me the worst canned food is better than the best dry food. In other words, he was not an advocate of dry food an didn't feel it was good no matter what the brand.

If your cat is throwing up hairballs perhaps you need to brush him or her out. I usually brush mine out several times a week. Throwing up hair really doesn't have any thing to do with the food you are giving. Particularly this time of year they are starting to shed.

Furballsmom, Summercats and kirathecat purraised this.

4. hleeeex3

Nov 8, 2017
    Hi there! Thanks for the reply. I bought some rabbit and duck wet food yesterday! I want to brush her so bad, but she hatesss getting brushed. She always swats at the comb!

Furballsmom and Summercats purraised this.

5. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Good for you! What about one of those shedding mitts? She might tolerate that better, and as time goes on sneak in the comb or brush. If your air is dry, maybe use a damp paper towel to keep her fur a little bit damp to try and avoid static shocks.

Summercats purraised this.

6. hleeeex3

Nov 8, 2017
    Thank you for the reply! I'm definitely going to just try putting her on an all wet diet and see if that helps. I thought she would shed more during the winter because she definitely didn't throw up this much during the summer. I'm going to see if I can start brushing her, but she hates it so much :(

7. hleeeex3

Nov 8, 2017
    I have the shedding mitt and a furminator! She's so sassy that I only get to brush her a little when she's sleeping :lol: But, I'll definitely try brushing her more often!

Timmer and Furballsmom purraised this.

8. MissMolly08

MissMolly08 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 3, 2017
    Nope, dry food is not necessary.
    I recently switched my cat to an all wet diet and her hair is SO much healthier! She used to shed like crazy and cough up some pretty gross hairballs at least a few times a month! Since making the switch to all wet, her shedding is down to almost nothing and I haven't seen a hairball in at least 10 weeks.

9. Timmer

Timmer TCS Member Super Cat

Jan 10, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    I know, I've had cats who didn't like being brushed much but I usually told them "too bad! It's for your own good" HA! I used a flea comb and still do because I think it gets out more hair.
    Maybe offer her some treats when you groom and she might associate it with a pleasant experience.

Furballsmom and hleeeex3 purraised this.

10. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    That's how I had to start things with my Big Guy - apparently his former owner never did and I'll admit he looked pretty rough when he came home to this house. It took a while but he's now to the point he actually seems to like it. Hang in there, it sounds like you're an awesome cat person!!

kirathecat and hleeeex3 purraised this.

11. kirathecat

kirathecat TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 1, 2016
    Maryland
    It took me about 2 months to get my cat to like brushing, now he wants to be brushed all the time :kneading: I took it slowly, brushed him when he was relaxed and calm, limiting sessions to only few minutes at a time at first, bribed him with treats. Alternating brush strokes with pets also seemed to work. I really like Kong Zoom Groom brush, it gets a TON of hair out.

hleeeex3 and Furballsmom purraised this.

12. hleeeex3

Nov 8, 2017
    I'll have to try that :) Oooo I'll look into the Kong Zoom Groom! Thanks!

kirathecat and Furballsmom purraised this.

13. lalagimp

lalagimp TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 7, 2017
    DC
    I just demo'd a new product called the Furbliss. I didn't get the long haired one for Princess Pants, but I got the short haired one and used it on both my most jerkhead and eager cats when he comes to deshedding tools.
    #furbliss #vetniquelabs Silicone brush for your pets

14. xcourtney3

xcourtney3 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 17, 2010
    I know you feed mostly chicken, but look at hidden common ingredients. My cat was vomiting hairballs frequently, even on canned food, and it turned out he can't tolerate unnamed fish (fish meal, fish, ocean fish, etc) or carrots

Summercats, Timmer, jinxybean and 2 others purraised this.

15. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    @xcourtney3 you ROCK for weeding through and finding out what was ailing your boy. Every cat is different but some things can be similar like food issues. Nicely done!

jinxybean and maggiedemi purraised this.

16. xcourtney3

xcourtney3 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 17, 2010
    @Furballsmom I have been reading a lot of posts today and I just wanted to say your posts are always so lovely and I bet you make a lot of people feel good about what they are doing

17. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Thank you!! @xcourtney3 you are part of why this site is so terrific, what a nice thing to say!

maggiedemi purraised this.

18. FakeGourmet

FakeGourmet TCS Member Adult Cat

Feb 18, 2018
    Whether dry food is required in a cat's diet or not depends on how much work you want to put into their food prep. Dry food is mostly a convenience for the owner. It has the risk of containing mold or bacteria if it sits too long ESPECIALLY today's dry foods that contain so much more fat. The foods are very much different than they were 20 years ago. I used to keep track of the diets of all the cats all over the world who reached 28 and over (yes there used to be 30 year old plus cats). Nearly all had one diet in common - cooked sausage and a small amount of Purina Cat Chow. None became overweight, all were quite healthy right up to the last few months. None were show cats.

Why did this work? No idea, I'm not a cat nutritionist. I was just always amazed as a kid and young adult because our cats didn't seem to live past 7 years old. Of course, later on we found out it was because of feline leukemia and in fact, they lived much longer than most cats with the disease, probably because of their good care.

19. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Gee whiz, no kidding!!