Is Dog Toothpaste Harmful To Cats?

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I noticed that my 1 yr neutered male has a red line on his gums and his vet gave me an antibiotic for 5 days called Synulox. It didn't work, I couldn't see any difference so I decided to brush his teeth.

I bought a baby toothbrush and I tried it yesterday and he wasn't a fan of it but I eventually brushed his teeth.

Now, the only toothpaste I could find online is this one from Trixie, but it says it's meant for dogs.
It has a minty flavor and it comes with a toothbrush and some other things.
Has anyone tried it? I emailed the company to ask if it's safe to use on cats but I didn't receive a response.
The set looks like this
Screenshot_20170918-131220.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sor
What are the ingredients in it?
Sorbitol, water, silicon dioxide, cellulose gum, mint flavour, enzyme and tetrasodium pyrophosphate. The ingredients seem fine but I wanted to see if someone else used this specific set.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I noticed that my 1 yr neutered male has a red line on his gums and his vet gave me an antibiotic for 5 days called Synulox. It didn't work, I couldn't see any difference so I decided to brush his teeth.

I bought a baby toothbrush and I tried it yesterday and he wasn't a fan of it but I eventually brushed his teeth.

Now, the only toothpaste I could find online is this one from Trixie, but it says it's meant for dogs.
It has a minty flavor and it comes with a toothbrush and some other things.
Has anyone tried it? I emailed the company to ask if it's safe to use on cats but I didn't receive a response.
The set looks like thisView attachment 196574
I have no idea... as long as your cat doesn't start barking after using it, it seems fine to me :)...

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea... as long as your cat doesn't start barking after using it, it seems fine to me :)...
Well he already chews on our shoes and he chases his own tail and sometimes he brings his toy back to me...So nothing surprises me :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just googled it and on none of the sites does it say it can be used on cats. CET and Logic can be used for both cats and dogs so if I were in your position, I would not use it but that's just me.
Try rubbing a little organic coconut oil on your cats gums daily. It can help reduce redness.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have just googled it and on none of the sites does it say it can be used on cats. CET and Logic can be used for both cats and dogs so if I were in your position, I would not use it but that's just me.
Try rubbing a little organic coconut oil on your cats gums daily. It can help reduce redness.
I used coconut oil and he likes it, and I also gave him a raw chicken wing today and he ate half of it.
I am trying everything at the moment. What bothers me is that one of his front teeth looks weird, the gum around it is green-ish. (Front, bottom part of the mouth, gum is all red+green around that tooth). That's the only tooth that's making me worry, I've noticed that the rest of his mouth is fine.
He lost his baby teeth very late, I think that might be actually his baby tooth...cause last month I had the same problem with another tooth (green gum), the new tooth was pushing the old one but it wasn't strong enough so it grew in the back. But the vet said it's not a problem...

I have read about teeth removal and other scary procedures and I currently don't have the possibility to take him to the vet. I don't want to deal with anesthesia again and honestly the neutering procedure was a little more expensive than I expected because he had to double the amount of anesthetic.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think it is a first tooth you could make sure he eats dry food as well as wet. Raw chicken wings are good too. Hopefully it will work itself loose and fall out. I'm sure you are keeping a close eye on it. Keep us updated.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's definitely a baby tooth. I opened his mouth and I touched the tooth with my fingernail and it moved.
I remember that last month before his baby tooth fell out his breath was so stinky and when the new one grew the gum around it was fine and the breath was a little better.
Probably after this tooth falls out his breath is gonna be fine. I think it's his last baby tooth.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally received the dental care set.
The minty toothpaste is OK, he doesn't hate it, he just hates the whole procedure.
The toothbrushes that came with the set aren't soft enough for his teeth so I used his baby toothbrush.
His breath stopped smelling afterwards so it's nice, I actually brushed his teeth twice today.
Is it OK if I do it 2 times a day?
I wanna do this until October 1st, cause that's when I'm leaving for college and I won't be able to brush his teeth anymore, I'll just tell my mom to rub some toothpaste on his gums everyday.