Is Daisy A Bengal Mix???

NiColette&Jojo

Daisy Mae
Kitten
Purraise
This is our cat Daisy. We are very curious to learn more about her. She has spots and some marbeling like a Bengal. She could also favor a Tabby. We know it's very rare to have a Bengal mix. We love her regardless. She is a rescue. We've never seen a cat with so much energy, and the heights she jumps are crazy. Could someone please take a look and let us know what you think.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Tabby is a coat marking, not a breed in itself. Your beautiful cat has the brown spotted tabby pattern. As to her possible breed, I’m not really seeing Bengal, they would have a longer, more muscular body, and a smaller head in proportion, so we could call her a Domestic Shorthair.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
That said she is silvery too. Not that common. The much red is prob rusicism, not truered and seen as fault in purebreds. So I suspect she IS purebred of pet quality. But what?? Ocicat? The alternative may be a natural dau.
Great observation as always, StefanZ! I felt like I was missing something, but couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I agree she has an appearance similar to an Ocicat.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll put my two cents in the Ocicat basket too! For a Bengal, it would be very uncommon (I don't like saying impossible) to find roufism at the belly, which is usually creamy to white, with black spots.
Daisy is quite a beautiful girl, by the way, maybe one of those DNA tests could tell you if she has indeed a recent Ancestor among Ocicats ;)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes roufism not rusicism...

Still its my point why she may have been sold once as a pet quality.

Of course the most probable statistically speaking is an Ancestor. After all spotted tabby is dominant so the children will too be spotted tabies for a while...

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes roufism not rusicism..
If your autocorrect is like mine, you are lucky that It actually was very similar to the original word, sometimes mine changes the word completely. This week, It substituted "lions" by "looks".

You are right, she could perfectly be pet quality purebreed, I always forget that not everyone microchips their cats, so tend to assume that unchiped cats are mixes. She could have belonged to a Backyard Breeder, too. I've heard that some times, if they cannot sell a cat as a kitten, they just abandom he or she :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NiColette&Jojo

Daisy Mae
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for replying to my post. I would also like to thank everyone for pointing me in the right path. I would have never thought ocicat. Which I have to say she resembles a lot. I posted a picture of a breed I never knew existed along with hers. I pretty sure that Daisy is a California Spangled. Everything that they documented about this breed fits her perfectly. Tell me if u see the resemblance.

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for replying to my post. I would also like to thank everyone for pointing me in the right path. I would have never thought ocicat. Which I have to say she resembles a lot. I posted a picture of a breed I never knew existed along with hers. I pretty sure that Daisy is a California Spangled. Everything that they documented about this breed fits her perfectly. Tell me if u see the resemblance.
Well, you are right, there is an undeniable resemblance there! The áreas with roufism coincide to a 109%, I'd say. If I were you, I would look now for the breed standard and check if Daisy meets it, It is always entertaining and you get to learn interesting things :)

NiColette&Jojo

Daisy Mae
Kitten
Purraise
Well, you are right, there is an undeniable resemblance there! The áreas with roufism coincide to a 109%, I'd say. If I were you, I would look now for the breed standard and check if Daisy meets it, It is always entertaining and you get to learn interesting things :)
How do you check for breed standard? I'm new this, but this is definitely interesting.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the breed is admited in TICA (ir any other Association) you will find a PDF withthe breed standard ant their site.
But... This is not the case with California Spangle
This is the best I could find about the breed, and It makes me think that chances are Daisy looks like one, but probably is not a purebreed one because there are/were so little of them...
LOST BREEDS - california spangled cat

NiColette&Jojo

Daisy Mae
Kitten
Purraise
What is roufism? I tried to look that word up and couldn't find it. I'm thinking it's about the red tints in her fur.