Is cleaning countertops with hydrogen peroxide ok around cats?

Javapenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’ve been getting mixed messages about this online so I’m just wondering: is it ok to clean my countertops and table tops with 3% hydrogen peroxide? Is it dangerous to my cats, because they’re always on the coffee table and counters snd I’m afraid they may ingest it. If they get it on their paws after I clean, and then groom their paws will they be alright? I am because my cat jumped up as I was cleaning a counter then licked her paws and now I’m worried but no idea if I should be worried enough for a vet visit. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You could wipe her paws just to be sure although shes already licked them, but i use hydrogen peroxide to clean my hummingbird feeders, with a good rinse and air dry.

Im not a vet but as long as the counters are dry the cats should be fine.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats shouldn't ingest hp but that tiny amount is unlikely to harm. Care does need to be taken, though. Just keep an eye on her and, as furballsmom said, make sure the counters are dry before the cats jump on them in future.
I tried to find the evaporation rate on surfaces, but could only find it for bottled HP.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Along similar lines I only recently discovered that lavender oil spray is very bad for cats…in case you are like me and enjoy scents. Basil anything seems to be okay, but I’ve been wary of scented anything (minus catnip) ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Javapenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats shouldn't ingest hp but that tiny amount is unlikely to harm. Care does need to be taken, though. Just keep an eye on her and, as furballsmom said, make sure the counters are dry before the cats jump on them in future.
I tried to find the evaporation rate on surfaces, but could only find it for bottled HP.
Thanks for the reply, she seems fine today I just get so paranoid when they get into stuff.