Is Chopped Straw Ok For Bedding?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was a post on here from last year where someone advised against using chopped straw. Is there a particular reason why? The only thing I can think of is that the cat would likely ingest it while grooming. I did see something about baled straw being warmer. The only straw I can get my hands on is chopped.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hm. I’ve never heard anything about not using chopped straw before.

Even if a bale is ideal, i imagine chopped straw is better than any other alternative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this the thread you’re thinking of?

Best Straw Bedding for Cats?

W Willowy can you shed some light on your response there?
Yes, that's it.

If I don't get the chopped straw, then I'll have to use regular blankets and towels. I would think the chopped straw would be better. But then I wondered if maybe it posed a health risk. It's definitely better than what my one feral was sleeping in. It was two or three winters ago and he found some fiberglass insulation to snuggle up in. He showed up covered in it and there was no way to pick it all out. I know he ingested it while grooming.

ETA: I saw a few reviews claiming that chopped straw is dusty. I wonder if that could be the issue? I wonder if there's a way to sift it?

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to say as a disclaimer that I don't really have any experience with straw bedding as it has not been necessary out here with my ferals because of a different living arrangement and weather which is never that cold. However, I did see a Dr Pol episode once where a horse was brought in, very sick with something like a horse URI, but worse. He immediately told the owner that the hay they were using was a certain type that generated dust and as the horse ate that he inhaled the dust. Maybe it is a question of dust.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's dusty and the shorter straws don't hold heat as well as the long strands. But if it's all you can get I'm sure it's better than blankets, which just hold moisture.

And definitely better than fiberglass insulation, lol. I once took care of a cat who slept under the trailer in the insulation, and every time I picked him up I'd get a rash. . .took me forever to figure out why! Didn't seem to bother him though.