is chicken the same as chicken by product meal

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am looking back at my cats last 5 foods she tried to prevent throw up. is chicken the same as chicken by product meal? would one cause throw up more than the other if the problem is allergies. this one is the one she did a tad better (chicken by product meal), still thew up a lot but better than others
other foods the 1st ingredient were either chicken or turkey

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Generally if the food is labeled "chicken" as the ingredient, it's the meat, the part that most humans would eat. By product is all the extra, edible but things humans don't normally eat stuff, left over after the chicken has been butchered. So things like the organs, feet, head, neck, tendons/connective tissue, and skin. The by product has less protein then the meat, so if the cat is allergic to chicken protien it will not react as badly to the by product as they would the meat.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chicken is chicken muscle/meat without moisture removed

Chicken meal is chicken muscle/meat with moisture removed

Chicken by products is organ meat like lungs, spleen, kidneys, brains, livers, blood, bone, fatty tissue, stomach and intestines. It cannot include hooves, hair, horns, teeth.

Chicken by products meal is all of the above with moisture removed.

So meal can be a better ingredient because the weight of the Ingredient isn't including moisture which may artificially inflate how much of the final product is actually in it.

As far as allergies, if your cat is specifically irritated by chicken protein, chicken by products may include a lot less of the chicken protein, and thus may be more easily tolerated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok thank you to you both! she has a vet appt today so im doing a lot of research first and now i will bring this up

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken is chicken. If your cat is allergic to chicken, she’ll likely also be allergic to chicken byproducts, chicken meal, poultry giblets, and possibly even “natural flavor” as this can be animal digest made from chicken (e.g. FortiFlora.). If you suspect a chicken allergy, you’re best off avoiding it completely.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes in terms of actual allergy vs intolerance, avoid chicken in all forms.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista has an intolerance to chicken from IBD. It could be a learned allergy. In any case, even FortiFlora will give her a stuffy ear, an upset stomach, and likely some vomiting too. Chicken egg can give her the stuffy ear but less or no stomach and gut issues. Turkey and duck don’t bother her though. But you have to be careful with turkey and duck foods as they often have chicken ingredients sometimes hiding behind names like “poultry giblets” (Looking at you Fancy Feast with your “turkey dinner”.)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, if I understand AAFCO definition correctly, chicken is not only muscle meat (unless it says “chicken meat”). It can be practically any part of chicken.Thats why I don’t like the companies that don’t specify what part of the animal makes part of the food. Here’s the definition:
“Poultry is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of poultry or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails. It shall be suitable for use in animal food. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto. If the bone has been removed, the process may be so designated by use of the appropriate feed term.”

In other words, it is the parts of the bird as you would find if you purchased a whole chicken or turkey at the grocery store. Frankly, it often consists of the less profitable parts of the bird, such as backs and necks. Unlike "meat," it may include the bone, which when ground can serve as a good source of calcium. If the bone has been removed (typically by mechanical separation), however, it can be declared as "deboned poultry." If a particular species of bird is used, it may be declared by the more common name, such as "chicken" or "turkey."
The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is it possible to still have a reaction of she was feed z/d (hydrolyzed chicken liver)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, if I understand AAFCO definition correctly, chicken is not only muscle meat (unless it says “chicken meat”). It can be practically any part of chicken.Thats why I don’t like the companies that don’t specify what part of the animal makes part of the food. Here’s the definition:
“Poultry is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of poultry or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails. It shall be suitable for use in animal food. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto. If the bone has been removed, the process may be so designated by use of the appropriate feed term.”

In other words, it is the parts of the bird as you would find if you purchased a whole chicken or turkey at the grocery store. Frankly, it often consists of the less profitable parts of the bird, such as backs and necks. Unlike "meat," it may include the bone, which when ground can serve as a good source of calcium. If the bone has been removed (typically by mechanical separation), however, it can be declared as "deboned poultry." If a particular species of bird is used, it may be declared by the more common name, such as "chicken" or "turkey."
The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food
:yeah:
Chicken can include anything, including bone or parts of diseased animals.

Here’s a good video that breaks it down:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it possible to still have a reaction of she was feed z/d (hydrolyzed chicken liver)
Hydrolyzation breaks down the chicken protein into something smaller and less recognizable by the immune system. That’s all I know about it. Does it work? I don’t know.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
vet agreed with trying the natual balance green peas and vension diet. fingers crossed! :winkcat:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I wonder exactly what disease they allow in pet food ?!
In "meals", basically all of them. It's assumed that the rendering process will kill all pathogens. "Fresh" (not "meal") meats and by-products (used in canned foods) have higher standards, although not a whole lot higher.

Meat is gross if you think about it too much. They regularly cut cysts and cancerous tumors out of the meat humans eat. As long as it's removed with a reasonable margin, the rest of the meat is allowed.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat is gross if you think about it too much. They regularly cut cysts and cancerous tumors out of the meat humans eat. As long as it's removed with a reasonable margin, the rest of the meat is allowed.
~ To be honest the more I learn about cats the more I am inclined to go vegetarian myself ! Milk, cheese and eggs I can understand, but as I take care of my little cat friends I feel a bit guilty eating their distant "relatives" . :ohwell::gingercat: