Is cat shampoo safe?

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty has long hair and requires bathing every few months to get all the oil out of her coat and make it nice and fluffy again. I also have allergies, so this helps me too. I currently have Whisker City cat shampoo from the pet store, but was just wondering if it's safe to use? She licks her fur when she bathes herself so I guess I'm just concerned about her ingesting shampoo residue or something. Is there a certain length of time I should rinse her to make sure the shampoo is all gone from her coat?

amby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you and your cat are fine! It is normal for a cat to lick herself.... just make sure you rinse the shampoo out well! I don't think there is any harm since you are using a shampoo that is intended for cats, and as long as you follow the proper directions on the bottle there should not be a problem, in my opinion! 

If you are still concerned, maybe you could look up natural alternatives! 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing to avoid in a cat shampoo is tea tree oil.  It is put in some shampoos and it is toxic for cats.  I have a bottle of Earthbath that I occasionally use on my long hair cat.  They are one of the brands with a good name but they have a tea tree shampoo.  Tea tree oil is okay for dogs and their shampoos aren't specifically labeled for dogs or cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing to avoid in a cat shampoo is tea tree oil.  It is put in some shampoos and it is toxic for cats.  I have a bottle of Earthbath that I occasionally use on my long hair cat.  They are one of the brands with a good name but they have a tea tree shampoo.  Tea tree oil is okay for dogs and their shampoos aren't specifically labeled for dogs or cats.
Ahh! It does have tea tree oil  towards the end of the ingredient list.. do you think it's diluted enough that it's not harmful?? I've been using this shampoo for a while and always rinse well and she's always been fine. I'm gonna look into this further :(

spryx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I've read, cats can do okay with tea tree oil and essential oils for awhile, but they do not excrete the oils well and over time they build up to toxic levels in a cat's system. The cat starts to exhibit symptoms that match a bunch of disorders (vomiting, lethargy, weight loss, etc), but "essential oil toxicity" doesn't usually top the list for things that vets consider, as there are many other more common causes for these issues. Even if your cat is fine or tolerates the oil better than other cats might, why take the risk that it would cause health problems down the road? If I were you, I'd switch shampoos immediately. 

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use it. There's the reason other members gave; tea tree oil is toxic to cats. And to be honest, no amount of it is something I'm comfortable with. Cats' bodies are so bad at processing that stuff out, and I just don't want to strain their system like that. As others said, it can build up in their system, and it's the last thing you vet is going to guess.

But there's another reason I don't use it. And that's because I won't use traditional shampoo on myself, so why would I do it on my kitty?

I use a natural shampoo bar. Stuff like SLS is in most shampoo, and it's really hard on skin -- especially since your cat isn't getting "conditioner" afterwards. I actually found out after I stopped using it that shampoo with SLS had been causing my acne and dandruff.

I use fragrance-free shampoo bars for cats as well.

My elder kitty needed frequent bathes towards the end of her life. Since cats don't like to wait for you to build a lather, I would get a couple wash clothes good and soapy before I started washing her.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm with Spryx - essential oils, including tea tree, are toxic to cats.  Cats are one of the few animals that lack the liver goodies to process these compounds, so they build up and up and up...until a deathly toxic load is reached.  Doesn't have to be injested - essential oil toxins get into their bodies by BREATHING, THROUGH SKIN CONTACT, and obviously by eating.  More here, with links to vet toxicologists: http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/4/category/poisons/1.html

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat-show-people-use-Jerob.It's-kinda-of-expensive,but,you-only-use-a-little-dab.And-if-your-only-washing-her-every-few-months,it-will-last-alot-longer,than-show-people-who-show-every-weekend-or-every-few-weeks.

You-have-to-dilute-it-in-a-cup-of-lukewarm-water,and-pour-it-over-the-cat.Any-shampoo,should-be-duluted,and-not-used-full-strength,its-too-harsh-on-the-coat-and-the-skin.

Its-not-like-washing-your-hair,our-hair-is-sparse,per-say,whereas-a-cats-coat,SH-or-LH-is-very-thick,and-you-have-to-rinse,rinse,rinse,and-then,rinse-some-more,to-make-sure-you-get-all-the-shampoo-and-the-shampoo-residue-out,then-rinse-some-more.Any-show-person-will-tell-you,rinsing-is-a-critical-step,most-don't-rinse-enough.

We-have-like-about-a-zillion-steps-and-products-we-use,and-even-more-so,with-the-LH-kitties,LOL.It-takes-me-3-hours,start-to-finish,but-I-have-LH-kitties,3-hours,just-for-one.Maine-Coon.I-think-it-takes-the-Persian-people-even-longer,LOL,but-we-have-to-blow-dry-them-and-comb-them-out-too,LOL.

To-get-the-oil-out-of-their-coat,we-use-Groomers-Goop,never-never-never-use-the-regular-Goop-in-the-store.Some-will-use-Dawn.It-has-to-be-the-regular-Dawn,not-extra-strength.That-too,has-to-be-diluted,never-never-never-put-it-on-full-strength.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER-use-human-dandruff-shampoo-on-them,IT-WILL-KILL-THEM.

Then,rinse-some-more,LOL,rinsing,is-THEE-key,LOL.

http://www.jerob.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I used it last night (she was super greasy and I completely forgot about this thread, to be honest) but that was the last time. I'm throwing it out and I'll look into Jerob or another cat shampoo instead. She's Himalayan so she has a very long, thick coat and I don't want to chance leaving residue or having it build up in her system. Plus something made for long hair show cats might be better suited for her coat anyways. More importantly, why the hell is this stuff allowed to be sold??? Like I don't understand why they would put that ingredient IN a cat shampoo, if the ingredient is harmful to cats?? This just makes no sense to me. Does anyone know who makes Whisker City brand? I couldn't find an official website. I want to write in or something

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of companies unfortunately are all about increased sales.  Tea tree oil is good for human skin and hair, it actually has healing qualities for people.  People see it listed on the label for cat shampoo and they think it's a good thing for cats too.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I used it last night (she was super greasy and I completely forgot about this thread, to be honest) but that was the last time. I'm throwing it out and I'll look into Jerob or another cat shampoo instead. She's Himalayan so she has a very long, thick coat and I don't want to chance leaving residue or having it build up in her system. Plus something made for long hair show cats might be better suited for her coat anyways. More importantly, why the hell is this stuff allowed to be sold??? Like I don't understand why they would put that ingredient IN a cat shampoo, if the ingredient is harmful to cats?? This just makes no sense to me. Does anyone know who makes Whisker City brand? I couldn't find an official website. I want to write in or something
I looked up Whisker City too just now and I couldn't find anything. It honestly aggravates me when I can't find ingredients for things real easily.

I know some people use Earthbath, just don't get the tea tree one. When I was really suffering with allergies (the first month I had my cat) I was using Magic Coat Cat and Kitten Shampoo- Which is what the store had. Obviously I'd dilute it a lot. It worked alright for what it is. I wasn't happy with the ingredients though (sulfates), so now I keep an unscented shampoo bar for pets with goat milk. 

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-met-these-very-nice-people-at-a-show,they-have-Persians,look-at-their-show-cats,and-their-kittens-who-went-on-to-show-with-new-parents.They-would-be-very-glad-to-help-you,with-bathing-and-grooming-a-Persian.Himmies-are-just-a-color-division,of-Persians.

Here-is-their-website.Don't-be-offended-if-it-takes-a-few-days-for-Sally-or-Ray-to-respond,they-might-be-at-a-show,or-getting-ready-for-a-show,just-a-suggestion,but-I-would-put-Persian-in-the-title,if-you-email-them.

http://www.nymews.com/contactus.html

_Angel_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh! It does have tea tree oil towards the end of the ingredient list.. do you think it's diluted enough that it's not harmful?? I've been using this shampoo for a while and always rinse well and she's always been fine. I'm gonna look into this further :(
NEVER use tea tree oil on cats!!! EVER
Cat's do not have the ability to clear out toxins like humans and dogs do.
Tea tree is toxic to cats!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know some people use Earthbath, just don't get the tea tree one.
I use Earthbath. They claim in customer questions, that the amount of tea tree oil won’t harm cats, but I wouldn’t use it either. I use their fragrance free shampoo and conditioner. I have found she doesn’t over groom trying to get the scent off, and is much happier with it.