Is cat breeding showing always mean?

Whatsitallabour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m aware that majority of hobbies that are to do with competition can be uncomfortable with a lot of nastiness but

how do you handle the nastiness in cat showing/breeding?
I’m finding it extremely uncomfortable, most people bad mouth each other and then all best friends. Some want to win at any cost

Cat breeding is hard enough with out the added nastiness

how do you deal with it? Is it only for those with a strong character?
I desperately want to continue with getting best quality cats closet to breed standard I can and healthy ones at that but I often feel ever so fed up with the fakeness
I’m feeling pretty ignored since I won well with a cat of mine
Are more breeds known for it? Or it is what it is?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is something that might vary from breed to breed, or from region to region? I haven't experienced very much nastiness myself.

Is it possible to try to avoid the nasty people, and seek out people who are more friendly and supportive? If you are having trouble with people in your own breed, try making friends with people outside your breed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is something I heard about second hand, but a few years ago a dog breeder was repeatedly unable to win in her local area. She went out of state and came home with the top honor.

She found the people quite challenging to deal with.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As in any other areas of life you will find very nasty people but you will also find very good people. When I started out in showing I had absolutely no clue. My girls breeder could not go with me to instruct me because she had to work so I went alone. I was benched with a lady showing a short haired breed (I was showing a Persian). When she found out I was brand new, she went and got a person who was showing a Persian to help me with the grooming and then explained about the rings. She introduced me to two other ladies showing other breeds and they also helped me. They even told me to request being benched next to them at the next show. Now I have seen the nastiness in the show hall too - but it wasn't directed at me. My color class (silver and goldens) have a difficult time in the ring most of the time because there are so few of them and the genetic pool is small it is difficult to get typey silver and goldens. I went for several years before we actually achieved success in the ring . I have dealt with the different people by not hanging around with the ones who talk behind others backs, trying to help new people and cheering on my competitors - after all they may win this week, but you could next. I think a lot of the nastiness is according to breed - but that is only based on my experience with Persians. The Persian people I have been told are lunatics! :lol: Sometimes I agree. My motto which comes from working retail for 20+ years, is when someone is nasty. kill'em with kindness. Makes them feel like a jackass. Or you could resort to the southern ladies sweet "Well, bless your heart!" which translates to "kiss my a$$". I have been known to do that at times, but I haven't had to at a show. Best thing to do is seek out like minded people. Ignore the bad ones. Give back to the fancy by supporting and encouraging others that may be new. Don't bad mouth other exhibitors.