Is Canidae A Good Brand?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm ordering cat food tomorrow. I've heard Canidae is a good brand. Anyone have an opinion on this? What brand would you recommend? They currently get iams but they've gained weight and it's not what is prefer to feed my babies. Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also should I order taurine supplements as an add-on to their diets or should cat food have enough taurine?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The food that your cat will eat is the best brand ;)

Are you looking to feed dry or wet?

Cat food has to have enough taurine in it as per the AAFCO. You don't need to supplement it as long as you are feeding a balanced food, which should be somewhere on the label.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for dry food 2x day and also a little soft food once a day. I had previously got science diet cat soft food 60% off so I have tons of that so mostly just looking for dry food.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the budget for it, Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein dry food is probably the best on the market. Chewy dot come occasionally has it on sale, which makes it more affordable. TikiCat has a good dry food as well. Both companies will send you free samples if you email and ask. :)

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have the budget for it, Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein dry food is probably the best on the market. Chewy dot come occasionally has it on sale, which makes it more affordable. TikiCat has a good dry food as well. Both companies will send you free samples if you email and ask. :)
I second this. It's high in protein and low in cabs. Also petco had the 6.6 pound bag for 31 on autoship

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about wysong epigen?

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I've never fed Wysong so I can't say for certain, although I am slightly confused how they claim to be "starch free" when they have potato protein as their fourth ingredients on the chicken flavor....

If you did go with the Wysong, the Epigen 90 looks better to me, personally.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's 60% protein. That seems like too much but know too too much about cat nutrition.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the Epigen 90!

Canidae used to be what I fed all the time, both wet and dry. Then they got rid of their 13oz cans, and the dry was causing my Jasmine girl to have a lot of hairballs and vomit issues so I had to switch.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about wysong epigen?
I tried feeding both Epigen 90 then Epigen. Gave my cats smell poop and diarrhea. Feed the rest to the strays. So I stick with the clean protein and I also feed instinct.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Who owns them? I thought there was issues years ago with recalls or ingredients.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Canidae Corporation is its own thing as far as I know, headquartered in California. Canidae owns and operates their own manufacturing facility, the Ethos Pet Nutrition facility, in Brownwood, Texas. They also used to (or maybe still do) some manufacturing at a Diamond owned facility in California, which was the source of their recall in 2012.

Canidae Dog Food Recall