Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

gotyler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is something going around called the butter theory and everyone says that cats love butter.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have not heard of the butter theory (have heard of Cat and the buttered toast theory), but can personally attest to the fact that not ALL cats love butter. 

One of my cats does, because I once found a little bite mark out of a stick of butter left on my counter top when I used to leave it out on a small plate
(now I keep it covered, BTW) 

However, the one that I WANT to like it, doesn't
.  The reason I say I want her to like it is that I recently ran across a recipe for a homemade diet for cats with kidney disease, and it calls for 1 cup of unsalted butter
, along with meat, vitamins, etc.  Reading that, I figured it was at least ok to scramble up an egg white in a little bit of butter for her, which I did.  do you think she would eat it?  Not on your life

So, bottom line, I don't think giving a cat butter isnecessarily bad, as long as it's done in moderation.  That recipe I was quoting above made quite a bit of food!  BUT, butter is fattening, no matter how you slice it, so you should keep that in mind. 

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small amount of butter occasionally  seems to be all right  for a healthy cat.   NOT all right for any cat that has any kind of liver or gall bladder disease.  (The same precaution applies to chicken skin and any other high fat items.) 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one member on here has a cat that loves butter lol

mine think its okay :/

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one member on here has a cat that loves butter lol

mine think its okay :/
FOO....the bottomless pit, LOVES butter.  He has broken 2 butter dishes to get to it.  I went and bought one of the fancy french butter keepers.....he figured out how to get into it.  I have to keep the butter in the microwave if I want soft butter.  He won't just chew on it a little...he will eat half a stick.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FOO....the bottomless pit, LOVES butter.  He has broken 2 butter dishes to get to it.  I went and bought one of the fancy french butter keepers.....he figured out how to get into it.  I have to keep the butter in the microwave if I want soft butter.  He won't just chew on it a little...he will eat half a stick.
are you the one that made that thread about your cat?

that's funny my cat Blanket will stare at my grandma's popcorn if it smells like butter but if we give her one popcorn she'll take off running lol and Carnation will eat it its funny watching cats eat popcorn i rarely give it maybe once a month that is 2 little popcorns lol

my cats like oil better then butter for some odd reason.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
are you the one that made that thread about your cat?

that's funny my cat Blanket will stare at my grandma's popcorn if it smells like butter but if we give her one popcorn she'll take off running lol and Carnation will eat it its funny watching cats eat popcorn i rarely give it maybe once a month that is 2 little popcorns lol

my cats like oil better then butter for some odd reason.
Yeah....that was probably me.  Foo is a food freak.  He will eat his food, then roam the counters looking for people food or butter.....anything that we eat, he thinks he should have.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A small amount of butter occasionally  seems to be all right  for a healthy cat.   NOT all right for any cat that has any kind of liver or gall bladder disease.  (The same precaution applies to chicken skin and any other high fat items.) 
The precaution is possibly in place for cats who shall have a low fat diet.

But normally it is vice versa, if a cat needs more fat, say you are giving a home made low fat diet, say plain youghurt as base, or have access to cat food with too low fat content,

the tip is you can add some melt down unsalted butter.

I say, butter is OK and even good as addition, if there is no other especial circumstances.

(as hinted by Violet, sometimes there are some contras).

my2wins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Assuming butter is made out of cream, and cream contains lactose, and cats are lactose intolerant, I would guess that butter isn't good for cats.

That said, my two love it. We have quite a job keeping them out of the butter if its out on the counter.

Considering that cats are meant to be carnivores by nature, we just stick to meat based balanced diet, either raw or canned grain free food.

hforg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat loves butter and tries to get it when it's on the counter! moderation is key.. I give my cat a little glob as a treat once in a while.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both my cats like butter, even the fussy one who turns his nose up at steak or salmon. :rolleyes: If I want to soften some butter for baking, I have to cover it or hide it in the cupboard.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A small amount of butter occasionally seems to be all right for a healthy cat.  NOT all right for any cat that has any kind of liver or gall bladder disease.  (The same precaution applies to chicken skin and any other high fat items.) 
Why is butter bad for liver disease or gallstones? Just wondering.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's because of the high fat content. When you're on a diet for gallstones issues you really have to cut out the fat.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's because of the high fat content. When you're on a diet for gallstones issues you really have to cut out the fat.
Okay, that makes sense. My kitty was just diagnosed with liver disease and I saw this post when doing research.

catmom203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not heard of the butter theory (have heard of Cat and the buttered toast theory), but can personally attest to the fact that not ALL cats love butter.

One of my cats does, because I once found a little bite mark out of a stick of butter left on my counter top when I used to leave it out on a small plate
(now I keep it covered, BTW)

However, the one that I WANT to like it, doesn't
. The reason I say I want her to like it is that I recently ran across a recipe for a homemade diet for cats with kidney disease, and it calls for 1 cup of unsalted butter
, along with meat, vitamins, etc. Reading that, I figured it was at least ok to scramble up an egg white in a little bit of butter for her, which I did. do you think she would eat it? Not on your life

So, bottom line, I don't think giving a cat butter isnecessarily bad, as long as it's done in moderation. That recipe I was quoting above made quite a bit of food! BUT, butter is fattening, no matter how you slice it, so you should keep that in mind.
What is the recipe for homemade cat food for kidney disease with butter? My cat needs more fat in his diet and is not lactose intolerant.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My penny lovesssss butter. Once ate a whole stick that my dad left out on the counter. That was a couple years ago. Never had any ill effect that I know of.