Is Bob in Pain?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that if we have health questions, the answer is usually to take our cat to the vet. I agree with this 100%, but unfortunately Bob had a rough start in life and I don't know what we are going to do when we have to put him in the carrier. (He has been to the vet, but it was right after we adopted him. He is strong and though he doesn't want to hurt anyone, he is a like a wild animal in some ways. He loves attention, though DH and I are the only people who can get near him. I would rather take my chances with attempting to catch our outside feral.)

Anyway I was wondering if somebody with more knowledge than me could take a look at these pictures and see if it is normal for a cat to stand like this, or if it is an indication of pain? He frequently stands this way.

He is a happy little man, stays indoors only and doesn't seem in any acute distress. He has no problem jumping and definitely no issues with his appetite. He seems to rest with his weight on his sturdy front legs. Is that normal? I am constantly worrying about my cats, and am sort of a hypochondriac about them.

BTW, in the pictures he isn't stalking or scared. He has a very slinky type walk and is so used to having a phone in his face for pictures that he pays me no mind.

1000000264.jpg

1000000262.jpg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Is his tail rolling down close to his body, or just straight down?
It looks a little like an 'about to spring' pose.

I can't imagine what health issue would create it, but it is different! I was wondering about abdominal issues, but he's eating fine.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyway I was wondering if somebody with more knowledge than me could take a look at these pictures and see if it is normal for a cat to stand like this, or if it is an indication of pain? He frequently stands this way.
A video would be better to gauge his stance and walk.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is definitely not normal. Take a video on your phone and show it to your vet first and see what they say. It could be arthritis, it could be a million things. Yes I think he is in some pain, or at least some kind of discomfort, but it must not be bad enough to make him hide or quit eating. You could try some supplements first for joints. It can indicate abdominal pain, or constipation. How are his stools? Does he have difficulty breathing at all? can yoyu stroke him all over without him flinching or indication pain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your responses. mani mani he doesn't really have much of a little tail. He is Manx with a rumpy or stumpy tail. Even though he looks like he is about to jump into action, he just sits this way. He crouches way down and crawls when he is stalking a toy or somebody. His back legs are significantly longer than the front. He doesn't really look like a rabbit hopping when he walks, though. More like a Bengal or some other cat that slinks along. di and bob di and bob his stools seem okay. I freaked out because he drinks a lot of water and thought he had diabetes, until DH pointed out that they all do. Arthritis is common to the breed, so I guess that is something I can't rule out. He is only a year old, though.

I've never heard him cough, though he occasionally sneezes. He will let me love all over him with no indication of pain. He takes to petting. The other night, I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with my feet propped on him, like a footstool. Thank goodness I didn't hurt him just on moral principles and also because that could have undone months of learning to trust us. (This is a side story but one of the reasons I don't let my cats in bed with me is because I kick in my in my sleep. Apparently I throw pillows and blankets, too.)

The only thing we've noticed is rapid breathing at rest. When he is awake and alert, he appears to breathe like any other cat. I think the rapid breathing just comes with him feeling not completely comfortable with allowing himself to let his guard down and sleep. That's only my theory, but he is for sure ready to run at any moment.

Best friend Bree sleeps like a lumberjack, and I take that as a credit to feeling so comfortable that you have to shake her to wake her. She is completely knocked out and he is the exact opposite.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S silent meowlook we don't have those here. My mom paid for my cousin's dog to be PTS by a house call vet because her dog was so afraid of going to the vet's office. But my cousin lives in the city, and unfortunately, I have never heard of one that will come out in our small town. I don't honestly think I could afford one even if they were willing to come from the city. I believe my mom spent between $600-$800 for the vet to come out and put the dog to sleep.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S silent meowlook , I think he has always been this way. We adopted him when he was about five months old. He looks and behaves differently than any cat I've ever had. I wonder if it just the way he looks, something normal for him. I have no experience with Manx cats and knew he had behavioral issues when we adopted him.

He has improved a lot and I am so happy DH insisted on him. When DH first saw him at the shelter, he said he thought, "That is one sad cat." I did observe him stalking Bree today, and he was almost flattened out on the floor.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your responses. mani mani he doesn't really have much of a little tail. He is Manx with a rumpy or stumpy tail. Even though he looks like he is about to jump into action, he just sits this way. He crouches way down and crawls when he is stalking a toy or somebody. His back legs are significantly longer than the front. He doesn't really look like a rabbit hopping when he walks, though. More like a Bengal or some other cat that slinks along. di and bob di and bob his stools seem okay. I freaked out because he drinks a lot of water and thought he had diabetes, until DH pointed out that they all do. Arthritis is common to the breed, so I guess that is something I can't rule out. He is only a year old, though.

I've never heard him cough, though he occasionally sneezes. He will let me love all over him with no indication of pain. He takes to petting. The other night, I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with my feet propped on him, like a footstool. Thank goodness I didn't hurt him just on moral principles and also because that could have undone months of learning to trust us. (This is a side story but one of the reasons I don't let my cats in bed with me is because I kick in my in my sleep. Apparently I throw pillows and blankets, too.)

The only thing we've noticed is rapid breathing at rest. When he is awake and alert, he appears to breathe like any other cat. I think the rapid breathing just comes with him feeling not completely comfortable with allowing himself to let his guard down and sleep. That's only my theory, but he is for sure ready to run at any moment.

Best friend Bree sleeps like a lumberjack, and I take that as a credit to feeling so comfortable that you have to shake her to wake her. She is completely knocked out and he is the exact opposite.
In the pic he looks ok to me, but mom’s know best and you’re worried. One thing I noticed is that position can be an indication of a heart problem. However, the cat is usually laying down, I think when they do that. I can’t remember for sure now, but two of my cats had heart disease and they did that - what he’s doing but not while standing.

Looks more like he’s sticking his bum up in the air for some reason. Maybe a behavioral thing- Quinn does that sometimes when he’s on my lap to be submissive, which is funny.

In terms of getting him to the DVM I sympathize with you. I am going to have to get my cinnamon there and I’m dreading it because he’s not even a touchable cat and I don’t want to trap him which is what I usually have to do- so I’m gonna start trying to get him to go into the carrier with treats, so we can avoid the trauma of that.

Have you tried putting food and stuff in the carrier and see if he’ll just go in there on his own? That way maybe you can get him there without too much stress.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee thank you for the suggestions. After reading your post, I told DH we needed to start feeding Bob in the carrier. I don't know if he'll remember it from his previous trip to the vet - my girls take off running when it's brought into the house. :disappointed:

One of the reasons he is hard to deal with is that he is smarter than us. Not DH, Bob. He is like a cunning little wild animal. Don't get me wrong, he is sweet as pie but I think coming from such a bad start in life really messed with his mind. I was told he wasn't adjusting well at animal control. (They didn't give me details, I just know he had lived with dogs, which is fine, but rescued from a hoarder, which sounds awful. They were very careful not to give me too much information - if it was a backyard breeder or just someone with way too many pets. I searched online, even though DH did not want me to see something upsetting. I couldn't find anything that had happened anywhere in NC that fit the timeframe, which may even mean he was brought here from out of state because our shelter had space.) Other than the transdermal medication that goes on his back, we have no idea how we would give him medicine if he needed it. I guess he would have to be boarded if he needed antibiotics or the like.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee thank you for the suggestions. After reading your post, I told DH we needed to start feeding Bob in the carrier. I don't know if he'll remember it from his previous trip to the vet - my girls take off running when it's brought into the house. :disappointed:

One of the reasons he is hard to deal with is that he is smarter than us. Not DH, Bob. He is like a cunning little wild animal. Don't get me wrong, he is sweet as pie but I think coming from such a bad start in life really messed with his mind. I was told he wasn't adjusting well at animal control. (They didn't give me details, I just know he had lived with dogs, which is fine, but rescued from a hoarder, which sounds awful. They were very careful not to give me too much information - if it was a backyard breeder or just someone with way too many pets. I searched online, even though DH did not want me to see something upsetting. I couldn't find anything that had happened anywhere in NC that fit the timeframe, which may even mean he was brought here from out of state because our shelter had space.) Other than the transdermal medication that goes on his back, we have no idea how we would give him medicine if he needed it. I guess he would have to be boarded if he needed antibiotics or the like.

That is terrible he had such a terrible ordeal in his early life😿

He’s lucky to have you guys. I know what you mean about them being so smart. Quinn is like that although he’s a purebred Siamese, he’s too smart for his own good in some ways but very silly in other ways.

In order to take Quinn and Xena to their most recent visit, I put the carriers in the living room and I put treats in them. I also got a much larger carrier and guess what Quinn went in and was sitting in there! Xena was a little harder, but he did investigate from the outside and it was easier to get him in there when we had to go, but he’s not like your guy. It did not get them to go in there on their own before the actual visit but it made them less nervous and it made it easier.

I also cleaned out the old carrier to make sure it had no remnant if dvm smells etc. I use scoe to do that which is a probiotic odor control and cleaner which really works. You can put catnip and an article of your clothing in it too to relax them.

With Bob and with cinnamon- It’s going to have to be a situation where you get them in there and then have someone else close the door quickly I imagine. Or use a string etc.

Zena freaked out at the ER hospital before this though and tried to bite someone, I think due to the way they managed it and now he may have to be sedated when he gets his next x-ray check. At new regular dvm, he just stayed in the carrier first time, and I’m hoping maybe I can medicate him with gabapentin and avoid sedation next time. There was a large sometimes barking dog in the er room too! I noticed he was nervous with the barking dogs at the new dvm too.

I’m going to try the same thing for cinnamon in the carrier- right now he’s sitting right next to Xena by my legs, but if I get up or move, he’ll run away. I don’t know if cinnamon has ever been in a regular carrier. But I think the larger size helps so if you don’t have a larger one, try that. I got the medium size plastic one at Walmart and Quinn likes it better than his original one. I think it’s just the great value brand but I can’t remember.

Then you have to try really delectable foods to put in there or whatever he likes to eat best.

I will update you on what happens with cinnamon and the carrier. I’m going to try that starting after I eat my next meal, way in advance of any possible appointment.

As for medicating cinnamon, he is like your guy, but not touchable at all. And I managed to get him to eat it in food. I just cut open the capsule and mixed it up. Sometimes he would not eat it completely and I had to keep putting more wet food and put dry food in. He also ate it a few times in reveal fish treats.

By some miracle I have always managed to medicate all of my non-touchable cats by putting it in their food. But most of the time they were in the drop trap when I did that- not all always. You have to make sure they’re hungry before you give them the medication and only put it in a tiny amount of food. Sometimes a pill pocket worked. Then you feed them more after they eat he meds. Then do scheduled feeding so that they were always hungry before they are going to be medicated.

Cinnamon I had to often shut in the bedroom because Quinn and Xena were trying to eat his food with the medication in it after they had theirs. 😹

Let me know if any of this works for you & Bob 😀
See pic of Cinn & Zena

IMG_2203.jpeg

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee I will try it! Elsie is up for a vet visit soon and last time she went, they treated her like she was a serial killer. You know how in Silence of the Lambs they wheel that dude out on hand trunks wearing a face mask? Exaggeration on my part, but all we told them was that she was scared and they started trying to figure out a way to exam her in the carrier! It seems they had two bad cat attacks the week prior. I told them they had to take her out to look at her. She didn't get much of an exam. IDK, I thought the possibility of get bitten and or scratched came with the territory of working at a vet's office.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee I will try it! Elsie is up for a vet visit soon and last time she went, they treated her like she was a serial killer. You know how in Silence of the Lambs they wheel that dude out on hand trunks wearing a face mask? Exaggeration on my part, but all we told them was that she was scared and they started trying to figure out a way to exam her in the carrier! It seems they had two bad cat attacks the week prior. I told them they had to take her out to look at her. She didn't get much of an exam. IDK, I thought the possibility of get bitten and or scratched came with the territory of working at a vet's office.
Terrible they did that. I don’t know what’s going on with the veterinarians anymore, but really it’s getting ridiculous but more dangerous in the case of Merlin being sedated. I understand they have to be cautious, of course, but with a cat that never hurt somebody who is just scared, that’s crazy imo. Merlin had been to two emergency hospitals for x-rays and treatment and had an ultrasound at the same Dvm with no problems at all.

In all my years I have never run into things like this before. I don’t know what’s happening. I even read on a review of the er hospital where I took Xena that they were trying to get someone to sedate a tiny kitten to do an x-ray. The kitten was not scared or aggressive etc.

Your description made me laugh 😹

I remember taking a cat to my DVM years ago to get treatment or something who was outside, he let me put him in a carrier. So I thought he would be OK.

When he came out of the carrier though he started literally climbing the wall. No one freaked out or anything. They did have to throw a blanket on him I think to catch him, calm him down etc. I think they may have even managed to give him a vaccination, but I can’t remember now.

I don’t think they were able to do much of an exam though, but nobody was upset about it or even said much 😹 I was impressed with how quickly they got him calmed down etc.

One of my cats who I brought there years ago, was a feral kitten and suddenly at six months she became not really tame. I was the only one that could pick her up. She became so aggressive at the DVM that they gave me a tranquilizer to give her in advance, but she would still growl at people, etc., but they still managed to examine her and do things. There was one Dvm there that got very nervous- he started taking out the big gloves and telling me that she was dangerous, etc.. 😹

I explained to him that she wasn’t like this at home although she was not completely a “tame” cat starting at 6 months, but she never bit anybody or anything like that or even tried to.

Maybe you can give her some gabapentin too, that may help. I would’ve given Merlin some before I took him to DVM when they sedated him, but I was worried because he was breathing a little strangely the night before- maybe if I had also gotten him to a hospital where they actually diagnosed him properly he would’ve survived. I think so now.

Last edited:

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have one cat Binks that definitely needs meds before a vet visit, both to get him into a carrier and to be examined by the vet.

I used Gabapentin in 100mg capsules I got from the ER vet for a different cat though the vet said it was fine to use on Binks.

My vet recommended 100mg the night before and then 100mg two to three hours before the appointment for a 9 lb. cat. It didn't work!

I scheduled another appt. and started medicating 2 days before the actual appt., 50mg every 8 hours, then 100mg the night before, 50mg in the AM and then 100mg 3 hours before the appt. It worked fantastic! Binks was more subdued and quieter during those couple days but functioned just fine, eating, drinking and using the litterbox with no issues. The day of his appt. I was able to pick him up, put him in his carrier and off to the vet. He was great at the vet and she was able to handle, exam him and give him his vaccine. Once home he returned back to normal within a few hours and loved me just as much as normal though he was a bit needy.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
D DeesCats I already have gabapentin here. All I would need to do is get an okay and dosage recommendation from the vet. I do not know how much he weighs. Unfortunately, that is another thing we can't do. Did you sneak the capsule into your cat's food?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel I just mixed the opened capsule directly into his wet food, mixed it up and possibly sprinkled some Forti Flora on top. Binks pretty much eats anything though but I just wanted to be sure he'd eat it all up.

Can you pick him up at all? If you can and also have a scale, try weighing both of you and then subtract your weight to get a good guesstimate of his.