Is Blue Wilderness Dry A Decent Food?

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my 4 month old kitten for about a month and a half now and for the majority of that time he's been on Nature's Variety Instinct kitten formula dry and Wellness Core wet for kittens (yes I know it'd be better to feed all wet but I'm gone for most of the day and worry he'd go hungry without having dry food out for him). During the time he's been on the food he's had bad diarrhea, I took him to the vet and they did a fecal exam and found nothing so they suggested it was his food. I decided to switch his dry food to Blue Wilderness kitten while still feeding Wellness Core wet and he finally has normal poops. I know Blue Buffalo has had a lot of recalls and I've heard it referred to the best of the worst in terms of dry food, so I'm interested to hear the opinions on this board.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Sara. I also feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food, reason being Daisy is such a picky eater I could not find a wet food she would eat consistently until last month. Whoever said BB is "the best of the worst" dry foods probably just thinks about all the recalls and false accusations by Purina about their advertising (which is ironic, as Purina claims to only use natural and high quaility ingredients in commercials). That said, I wish Daisy liked Nature's Variiety Instinct and don't know why any cat would have a problem with it.

I get it: Cats do go hungry if people are gone all day. But you can feed wet meals before leaving and after coming home so she won't be on an all-dry diet.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You might find this site helpful for researching both dry and wet food: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

There’s a specific section on kitten food: CatFoodDB's Best Kitten Foods

I don’t know how valid the reviews are, but the reason I find the site helpful is because there’s a great deal of factual information on each brand and flavor within the brands. It lets you look at each, weigh the pros and cons for your and your cat’s circumstances, and go to the store with that knowledge so you don’t have to pull bags and cans off the shelf and squint at labels. The site is well laid out and easy to navigate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! Yeah I'm not sure why his digestive system doesn't like Instinct, I've had my adult cat on the original and she had no issues. Just for clarification, my cats aren't on an all-dry diet, it's about half and half wet+dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links! I'll definitely check those out

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! Yeah I'm not sure why his digestive system doesn't like Instinct, I've had my adult cat on the original and she had no issues. Just for clarification, my cats aren't on an all-dry diet, it's about half and half wet+dry.
Thanks for the clarification.

Many cats need a limited ingredient diet (LID) which has one "novel protein" (one that has never been eaten before) to control IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or a simillar digestive disorder (irritable bowel syndrome, lymphoma, or allergies). If this is the case wiht your cat simply switching to LID recipes may help. But only a vet can tell you what causes the diarrhea because tests must be done to diagnose it.