Is biting part of cat play or is it a fight?

kingco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to introduce my cats to one another, but I don't know what some of their behavior means. They're both 1 and a half y/o males, but only one of them (my first and resident cat) is neutered. My first cat, Bala, grew up indoors, and the new kitty, Fumaça, was a stray.

Their personalities and build are very different – Bala is small, very playful and he doesn't really care about people other than me, but has shown to be aggressive towards other cats in the past. Fumaça is a big orange boy, he loves attention and people and is not aggressive in the slightest. When they meet, Fumaça seems completely indifferent to Bala's presence and just lies on the ground waiting for pets or treats. But Bala is very focused on him, like tunnel vision; he starts smelling him all over, and then pounces.

Now I've done some research and it looks like their crazy wrestling is just play. There is no hair standing on end, scratching, growling, howling or hissing. They do meow and stare intensely at each other at times, and it seems like Fumaça just isn't as into it because Bala is always the one to start it. Sometimes Fumaça up and walks away (not frightened, but maybe just not in the mood?) and Bala follows him around, essentially not leaving him alone.

What's bothering me the most is the biting: Bala will mount and bite Fumaça several times on his scruff and neck and hold his teeth there for a minute. At first Fumaça isn't bothered by it but then he turns around and defends himself. Is that part of play? Is it a dominance or territorial thing? Fumaça bites him too, but never like that, despite being significantly larger and the fact that he isn't neutered yet. It's a little confusing. Should I just let it happen or is it a problem?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like play biting to me. They grab each other with their teeth but they really don’t bite down. Just like play wrestling, it looks far worse than it is. If they were really fighting you would hear loud screaming and fur flying. These two sound like they are just working out the terms of their play and some noise is to be expected.