Is Anyone Using Silicone Food Storage Bags?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is anyone using silicone food storage bags? I go through a lot of ziplocks, and I’d like to cut down on my use of plastic. I do wash and re-use ziplocks when possible, but I’m using them in the freezer for the quantities of meat I grind for the cats’ food. Those, of course, I throw away, but it’s so wasteful and so bad for the environment!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was feeding Krista raw, I portioned to ice cube trays. Then you could pop those cubes into a larger gallon size freezer bag if you didn’t want to leave them in the tray. So then you would only need individual bags to weigh and thaw the cubes. One of these years, I’d like to try composting and there are “plastic” (I think it may be a corn fiber thing) bags that are compostable. I go through a lot of baggies too. But it seems like struggle enough to keep her eating most times that I’ll do what works and we’ll circle back to the baggies when everything else is running smooth with her again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve got a good strategy for freezing the actual food itself in small containers, but I typically grind 15-20 pounds of raw meat at a time, fill gallon-size freezer ziplocks, then flatten and stack them in the freezer. It takes up much less room that way. I don’t have enough freezer space to use storage containers for the raw meat. But I cringe at the waste and constant disposal of plastic. :(