Is anyone looking at Mars at night?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally amazing to me to track the progress of this planet as it makes this rare journey towards earth. I can't imagine it could be any brighter than it was last night from my front porch, but according to experts it will just keep getting brighter all the time. If you haven't been looking to the East at night, take a gander tonight and see if you can see this bright red planet, and I swear to me it actually looks like it glows with a reddish glow!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely, if I can just convince the weather to cooperate. We've had on and off rain/thunderstorms for the past 4 days and it is supposed to continue for another few more.

I would love to have a telescope.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooh, thanks for the reminder MA! We'll try to drive out of town & take a look tonight!

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Houston has such bad "City Lights" you can barely see a couple of stars.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, we're kinda screwd when it comes to viewing such things since we're further south. Can't really see it with the naked eye, but then my vision is not the best. I must get a telescope!! Aaargh!

Here's one of my other favorite sites that amateur photographers do, such beautiful pics! Hopefuly someone can take some of Mars and post it

http://www.skychasers.net/

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MA, do you know if it will be close this weekend (say Friday night)? That would give those of us who live in the sickly orange glow of the city time to take a late-night drive out into the country to see the much prettier orange glow of Mars.

Nice website, JB! For those of you in Tx, if you ever have time to make it out to McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis out in west Tx, it's worth the trip.
They have great star parties.

dtetrev

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ack can't wait for a clear night down here to look at it. Figures this cool event happens & we get overcast all the time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is supposed to be at its brightest the last day of this month, but every night as it gets closer, it gets brighter

kev

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not allowed out of bed bar the bathroom and 10 mins on this thing every now and then so looking at stars is possibly out of the question. Although, tonight Vicki jumped on my lap and on my groin and I jumped and hit my head on the head board. I think I may have seen enough stars to last all evening - my head is spinning!!!

I thought Mars was a chocolate bar??? I can get one of them from the fridge!

Kev

merlot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stop Stop, i started the Atkins diet on saturday and you all are talking about chocolate in a thread about stars. Do you want to see me cry?

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Craig and I look at it every single night

Craig's coworker is a huge solar system and astrology buff and has this really awesome telescope. One the 27th he's having a party at his house and letting everyone view it with a telescope. He's also taking pictures with his telescope and giving us copies.

I can't wait!!! I'll try to get em scanned for ya once we get em.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys, talking about candy...the Google ads down at the bottom are now for Bertie Botts every flavor Beans and for a Candy Webstore!