Is Anyone Else Struggling to Get Enough Catfood with the Current Supply Shortages we are Encountering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taking cats to get tnred for free through the ASPCA and I have had one injured cat taken to the Humane Society for treatment of a bad fight wound and tnred. I had a rescuer take him there. These organisations don't do food programs in my area as far as I know. There is one organizations in my area that does a food, straw and sometimes an emergency winter shelter give away in the fall (first come, first serve). Alot of organizations have been really set back because of this lockdown last year. I have spoken to these rescue organizations, but they barely have their heads above the water. I feel bad asking them. 😕

I just keep hanging in there--I got this far so far. If the worst happens I may do an emergency Go Fund Me. I have to be in very bad shape to do that. I am okay for now thankfully

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. 🙂
I was afraid that might be the case. Let us know if you start the GoFundMe.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went out today to the various Target stores nearby to look (unsuccessfully :mad:) for Christmas tree decorations. While there, I had to pass by the pet supplies sections, so I checked to see what was available. Normally, I don't get pet supplies at Target, but I was pleasantly surprised to find all three stores well-stocked with wet and dry cat food. If you're having trouble getting food, you might try your local Target store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose Thank you. I am going to rough it the best I can, but if things get too rough or I have more cats dumped on me I may have to do just that. I am don't want it to have to come to that. Thank you for caring. 🙂

V vince Thank you for posting that. I never shop in Target so I wouldn't know this. Sorry you couldn't get your Christmas Decorations. Check the Dollar store or other discount stores. My sis went to her local Garden Center store for a Poinsettia and she got lights and garland there. In my area there is also a pop up Christmas store. Maybe there is one in your area. The hardware stores also have some Christmas Decorations ( Ace, Home Depot's, and Lowe's). Hopefully they are still decently stocked. I hope you find what you are looking for. 🙂

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just went looking for some silver-colored garlands. I'd gotten almost all the decorations from Target, so that's where I looked. Two days before Christmas, I should have expected that stuff would be picked-over.

The tree had been in a corner in the past, so I didn't have to decorate much in the back. It's out on a wall next to the front door now, and to my eye, the number of baubles doesn't cover it so well. It probably looks okay to everybody else. We're often our own worst critics.

A quick search online led me to Hobby Lobby. I forgot about them, and there's at least one nearby. That might be a good place to go.

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I spoiled my backyard kitties yesterday by giving them warm Christmas Turkey. One of the kitties came over to me when I collected the bowls and he was purring up a storm while rubbing up against me. He was one happy kitty who was showing his gratitude. I love seeing them like this. Anything to make their lives better. 🥰

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just wanted to mention I ordered some stuff from Amazon this week and put in for a case of 24 cans on Monday. It took a day where there was a pending date for the cat food to be shipped out. It did get shipped out with my other items and the everything was perfectly fine with the order. I got the order this afternoon.

So Amazon doesn't seem to be doing bad right now. Some people are still seeing bare shelves where they shop, I hope they can fare out better on Amazon and Chewie.

Well I hope everyone is doing okay out there. I am praying that this winter Isn't too brutal and it goes quick. 🤞🙂

Nomortears

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
RE: Damaged product, of course it's not nice to threaten but vendors know that "lawsuit!" is a possibility so they behoove themselves to refund or exchange! *Just sayin'...*
And yes, we all need to be adaptable. First priority for me is INVENTORY. Not so much as to deprive others, but definitely enough so that you have supply for awhile. I have mine tweaked so that I have enough for a couple of months and I would strongly advise that, especially for everyone who has space to store it. This house has a lot of closets so I have storage in the utility closet, plus two small IKEA sideboards in the dining room. It's out of sight, dark and cool, and ready to hand. If you can't get it now, order when you can and store it, even just stacked up against the wall in the kitchen or wherever if you need to. And yes, if stock isn't available, cats ARE obligate carnivores and meat is what they eat. Some cat food companies do donate their dented cans which are still safe but just not
attractive. Most, if not all, of that goes to sanctuaries, rescues, humane societies, ACCs etc. but it doesn't hurt to ask. And something I've learned since divorce/relocation is how to speak up for myself and ask if companies will make deals. Again, it doesn't hurt to ask.
What kind of vit powder do you use please I been having to feed all the strays an the rescues 25 altogether fresh meat cause on disability an bad health done sold everthing an ppl keep throwing away there cats in my woods I have to take them cause others use them to feed snakes or as bait

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Flybynight Flybynight So it sounds like these supply shortages are beginning to affect European pet markets. I live in the North East of USA, I think things have improved a bit since I first put up the thread. It is still not fully back to normal. I say with the places I shop, Friskies is somewhere between 70 to 80 percent stocked. There are still flavors I have a hard time getting. The Stuffed and Sauced brands which is a little more expensive is always out. Other flavors like Salmon and Beef and Sea Food Bake and some of the Gravy flavored are hit or miss. Fancy Feast is another story. It is at the 50 percent mark from what I can see. The Gravy flavors, the Milk or cream based flavors and the fancy Medleys are always out where I shop. FF doesn't seem to be able to get enough of it's food on it's shelves. I wonder how everyone else is doing with their cat food shopping.

I use the Tomlyn Brand of Lysine. I had no probably getting a hold of it on Amazon. I just checked there and I don't see a shortage. If it is available directly to the consumer, then I wonder why the cat food companies are having a problem.

I hope things get better where you live. It may be just a slow down period and things will pick up again. I have been looking into alternative brands but my outdoor kitties are food snobs. Seriously, it is bad enough when indoor cats are like this, but when you have over 15 cats like this it is a huge pain in the butt. :gaah:

N Nomortears I can feel your pain. I had a bunch of cats dumped on me and the numbers have been surging. I have limited means and always worry about how I am going to continue to feed all these kitties. I live in the NE (USA ) and we had snow today. It can get very cold over here and I have to feed double what I normally feed. I feed Kitten Chow and give them wet food. If things get to bad. I am going to feed them kitten chow and make a home made gravy (cat safe) to put on top of it. We discussed a lot about cat food alternatives on this thread should the cat food shortages get worse. Could you check with any rescue organization and see if they have any cat food to spare. Some vets will give cat food near their expiration away. A member here mentioned the Humane Society in her area had a pet food program for those in need. Perhaps there are such programs in your area.

Why does it always seem that cats are dumped on well meaning people who really struggle financially? I guess our hearts are bigger than our wallets. Thank you for saving these cats. We need more people like you in this world.🙂

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I got the last box of cat food in Walmart... a dozen 3oz kitten formula store brand. I went to 3 other stores to find a total of 40 cans Friskies, any variety available. Then I ordered a case of 40 on Chewy after it went up over $4 overnight and the other cases went out of stock. I am going to have to lean more on dry.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking of this thread, I always look to see how the supply is wherever I go shopping.

It seems the shortage has worked through the system where I live, to a large extent. The complete outages seem to have passed, but a full range of brands and styles of wet food still aren't available, especially typical brands in 5 1/2 ounce cans. Last stores I checked were Meijer's, Kroger's and an independent grocer with maybe five stores in the Toledo and Detroit areas.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Bri5 Bri5 I am so sorry to hear that things have not improved in your neck of the woods. So glad you were able to get that last case, but it stressful worrying over this. Also, I wish Chewie as well as other online Pet food sites would give a warning about any price hikes and not just spring it on you like that. For people who are struggling, four extra dollars is a lot.

I wish you all the best. I am very tight with my finances right now and may also feed just dry food, but I know the kitties won't be to happy with that, so I have been reading about home made gravy recipes. Here are some. Maybe your cats will really take to it. I am keeping my 🤞with my bunch. Well, I hope you find this helpful. 🙂
6 Homemade Cat Gravy Recipes (Vet Approved) - Excited Cats
Flybynight Flybynight That's what I was thinking. It might be a slow down due to the holidays. You will know soon enough if that is the case.
V vince Thanks for thinking about this thread when you are out shopping. You have been so helpful with your posts. I went to my local supermarket today because they had a sale on Friskies dry food (Tender and Crunchy Chicken and Beef 16lb bag for $11.49). I hope my kitties will eat this dry food. If there is a good sale, I can't ignore it.

I am thinking the same as you and that we are through the worst of these shortages and things are getting back to normal. Sadly, for some members the shortages are still going on where they live. I hope it improves for them as well.

Well thanks for posting everyone. Have a great weekend. 🙂

Oliver2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bri5 Bri5 I am so sorry to hear that things have not improved in your neck of the woods. So glad you were able to get that last case, but it stressful worrying over this. Also, I wish Chewie as well as other online Pet food sites would give a warning about any price hikes and not just spring it on you like that. For people who are struggling, four extra dollars is a lot.

I wish you all the best. I am very tight with my finances right now and may also feed just dry food, but I know the kitties won't be to happy with that, so I have been reading about home made gravy recipes. Here are some. Maybe your cats will really take to it. I am keeping my 🤞with my bunch. Well, I hope you find this helpful. 🙂
6 Homemade Cat Gravy Recipes (Vet Approved) - Excited Cats
Flybynight Flybynight That's what I was thinking. It might be a slow down due to the holidays. You will know soon enough if that is the case.
V vince Thanks for thinking about this thread when you are out shopping. You have been so helpful with your posts. I went to my local supermarket today because they had a sale on Friskies dry food (Tender and Crunchy Chicken and Beef 16lb bag for $11.49). I hope my kitties will eat this dry food. If there is a good sale, I can't ignore it.

I am thinking the same as you and that we are through the worst of these shortages and things are getting back to normal. Sadly, for some members the shortages are still going on where they live. I hope it improves for them as well.

Well thanks for posting everyone. Have a great weekend. 🙂
Thank you very much for the 6 Homemade Cat Gravy Recipes(Vet Approved)- Excited Cats. I will try them out

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using Chewy auto delivery but found out pat the last minute that half of my order was out of stock. I used to be able to pick up Nutro at Petco but they haven’t had any in stock for weeks. Fortunately I did find the flavor I needed on Amazon and it arrived quickly. But I intend to keep at least a four week inventory so that I can handle any outages.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Your welcome O Oliver2010 . Let me know how it turns out. I hope you and others will find it helpful

susanm9006 susanm9006 You have the right idea about having a month's worth of cat food stocked up. So glad you were finally able to find the flavor you were looking for on Amazon. I thought these shortages were mostly affecting the cheaper cat food brands, but I heard from others that they couldn't find premium brand cat food like Weruva, Tiki Cat, and in your case Nutro. I hope this is only temporary.

I wish Chewy would tell their customers right away what is out of stock. They need to have a better system in doing that. And as previously mentioned, not jacking up the price without warning you. Loyal customers deserve better treatment than this. 🙂

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your welcome O Oliver2010 . Let me know how it turns out. I hope you and others will find it helpful

susanm9006 susanm9006 You have the right idea about having a month's worth of cat food stocked up. So glad you were finally able to find the flavor you were looking for on Amazon. I thought these shortages were mostly affecting the cheaper cat food brands, but I heard from others that they couldn't find premium brand cat food like Weruva, Tiki Cat, and in your case Nutro. I hope this is only temporary.

I wish Chewy would tell their customers right away what is out of stock. They need to have a better system in doing that. And as previously mentioned, not jacking up the price without warning you. Loyal customers deserve better treatment than this. 🙂
Absolutely my thoughts regarding Chewy. Notifying a customer that something is out of stock on the day it is to ship doesn’t seem reasonable. One would think a computer system could match upcoming orders against inventory way sooner than that.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely my thoughts regarding Chewy. Notifying a customer that something is out of stock on the day it is to ship doesn’t seem reasonable. One would think a computer system could match upcoming orders against inventory way sooner than that.
Look at Amazon. They have it listed right under the item you wish to purchase whether it is out of stock or has limited stock (with the remaining number of items in stock). Amazon may have it's faults, but they would tell you asap if the product was sold out-- should you have ordered almost the same time as a bunch of other people whose orders went through before yours.

Chewy needs to get their act together. As you mentioned, a computer program could keep tabs on this and send alerts when stock is low or out. This will result in less annoyed customers. You think they would improve this. It is a no brainer!

Status
Not open for further replies.