Is Anyone Else Struggling to Get Enough Catfood with the Current Supply Shortages we are Encountering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. It does look like we are in another round of cat food shortages. It varies from place to place. Bri5 Bri5 So sorry that your area is getting hit hard. Those pics just say it all. It seems that the Chewy Fullfillment center only 50 miles away from you maybe low as well on supplies and that is why your orders are coming from 3-4 states away. Chewy seems to work well for some people, but not so well for others. It depends where you live. Hang in there. I hope and pray that this is a temporary slowdown due to the holidays and that things will improve soon.

I will be going to my local pet store again and will post and update here. This may be my last trip before Christmas, if I can get everything I need. Where there is a will there is a way. Hang tough everyone. 💪🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Petco has a 20% discount for online order/store pick-up. They don't have the cheaper foods anymore but it could bring some of the pricier foods within financial reach.

Whipping cream too.
Thanks for posting this W Willowy . If anyone out there sees deals online and In store of Regional and National pet stores or Supermarket chains, please don't hesitate to post here. Let's continue to get the word out. Thank you. I really appreciate it. 🙂

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wholehearted (their in store brand) might be a good option at Petco especially with the 20% off.

Pet Supplies Plus extended their 25% off curbside pickup sale to today as well because of all the website issues. I order items at night all the time and pick up the next day. They hold items for up to 3 days I believe.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much TardisDance TardisDance .

Here is a article I came across yesterday. It a list of the best place to buy wholesale cat food (and other items). I am not very familiar with these Wholesale companies. I shop at BJ's Wholesale and in the past Cosco's which has been hit by the shortages.

I am putting this out there in hopes it may help someone. Please do some due diligence first. If anyone is knowledgeable about any these companies please let us know your experience. Thank you. 🙂
14 Best Places To Buy Cat Food In Bulk in 2021 - Excited Cats

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Just leaving a quick post. The pet store I went to today was decently stocked. It didn't have everything, but it had enough. See pics

I got a decent variety of Friskies including the Gravies, Pates, Shreds and even one of my cats favorite --the Turkey and Cheese.
The few I notice missing were the Stuffed and Sauced, Seafood Bake, and those ones that were mixed with vegetables and brown rice.
I was also able to get all the Kitten Chow I needed. So, overall it was a successful trip.

Let's hope this starts improving for everyone. 🙂

20211217_144046.jpg
20211217_144055.jpg

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh good, that’s what the grocery stores are kind of looking like now. Pet Supplies Plus, I presume? (just judging it by the Mittens Morsels on the shelf)

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good, that’s what the grocery stores are kind of looking like now. Pet Supplies Plus, I presume? (just judging it by the Mittens Morsels on the shelf)
Yup. It is Pet Supply Plus. I think they are doing okay right now. My local supermarket is not doing as well, so I am not going there right now.

I bought some of the Mittens brand on sale. The kitties will eat it now and again, but then after a while they won't eat it. They are just as fussy as indoor cats. I wish they had less discriminating taste, it would make my life so much easier.

Well. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Take care.🙂

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I may try Mittens Morsels at some point. I have a fussy female cat that hates most wet foods. She was a hoarder rescue and came to us with rotted teeth and just loves dry food for the most part. I also have a male cat that was a TNR from a feral colony that will inhale most any food - I’ve only every seen that he hates leftovers so I can‘t give him half of a 5.5 oz cans like Friskies. It’s sort of a win-win now with trying foods since I’ll give the girl the food first to try and then he’ll just eat her rejects. He’s a garbage disposal.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose I am feeding a whole bunch of kitties,that were dumped on me. Just a short background story--- One feeder moved away well over a year ago and the other feeder said she take care of her cats, but what she really did was pushed them my way. The cats I am feeding now hass double the number from last year, not including my 3 backyard cats that I have been feeding since they were kittens. I had a big fight with the other cat feeder on the block because she was lying all the time to me.

The cats that come to me now have been well taken care of by the feeders (spoiled rotten) However, the husband of the remaining feeder doesn't want them in their yard. She still has her regular group she feeds (some of them crash my night feeding) but all the previous feeder's cats come me. The numbers are inching closer to 15 cats everyday. I worry this woman may at any time dump her cats on me. She is a retiree and may move. So that is the perdictament I am faced with. Love the cats--but it is totally unfair. All these cats were born on the block, all are tnred. We have some sweet ones I wanted to get off the streets, but the other feeder raised hell over it. She will dump cats on me, but won't let me find homes for them. SMH!

I guess since these cats haven't gone with out meals, they act fussy just like indoor cats. If they were abandoned and gone without for a while--they would eat anything put before them. I tried to break them of this fussiness, but they are set in there ways. Oh well.

Sorry for the long reply. I just wanted to give you an idea what I am dealing with. 🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I may try Mittens Morsels at some point. I have a fussy female cat that hates most wet foods. She was a hoarder rescue and came to us with rotted teeth and just loves dry food for the most part. I also have a male cat that was a TNR from a feral colony that will inhale most any food - I’ve only every seen that he hates leftovers so I can‘t give him half of a 5.5 oz cans like Friskies. It’s sort of a win-win now with trying foods since I’ll give the girl the food first to try and then he’ll just eat her rejects. He’s a garbage disposal.
It looks like it as a cheaper version of Fancy Feast. It has a stronger cat food smell and the texture looks okay. I hope the fussy female kitty you feed will give it a fair chance. The cats I feed will eat it for awhile, but they love Friskies and want to return to eating that. One of the cats that was dumped on me weighs between 16 to 18 pounds. He is a very fat street cat, and he is one of the few cats that will eat anything--a four legged furry garbage disposer. 🙂

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to one of my local Petco stores to get cat litter this morning. I took a look at the cat food aisle. Wasn't stocked to the max, but there was a decent variety. The shortages here seem to have abated a bit

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose Thank you. It is a frustrating situation to deal with, but I do the best I can.

Norachan Norachan That really helps. What a nice vet.
I think I am catching up to you with ferals. I am feeding 15 kitties at the front of my house and 3 in the back. It truly is a labor of love. ❤

V vince Thank goodness things are improving. Although sadly not for everyone. Another member posted pics to this thread of were she shopped recently and the shelves were nearly empty. I hope things get better for everyone. 🙂

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering if the Humane Society, the ASPCA, or some of the other animal charities would help you out. Our local humane society has its own no-kill shelter, so I'm sure they are scrabbling for food too, but I wonder about the national organizations. They receive donations, and I wonder if they would help.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering if the Humane Society, the ASPCA, or some of the other animal charities would help you out. Our local humane society has its own no-kill shelter, so I'm sure they are scrabbling for food too, but I wonder about the national organizations. They receive donations, and I wonder if they would help.
I have taking cats to get tnred for free through the ASPCA and I have had one injured cat taken to the Humane Society for treatment of a bad fight wound and tnred. I had a rescuer take him there. These organisations don't do food programs in my area as far as I know. There is one organizations in my area that does a food, straw and sometimes an emergency winter shelter give away in the fall (first come, first serve). Alot of organizations have been really set back because of this lockdown last year. I have spoken to these rescue organizations, but they barely have their heads above the water. I feel bad asking them. 😕

I just keep hanging in there--I got this far so far. If the worst happens I may do an emergency Go Fund Me. I have to be in very bad shape to do that. I am okay for now thankfully

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. 🙂

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to go to Kroger today to use up some nearly-expired coupons, some of which were for dry cat food. Looked at the wet food shelves. Not full, but there were some common varieties of cat food today. Wet food is definitely back in the delivery chain, albeit not in huge quantities.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Some veterinary offices do have food banks too if you haven’t tried that yet. My own vet has a partnership with Purina to obtain food from monetary donations (I’m guessing Purina charges a lower rate this way?).
Thank you. I have asked a few of them last year, but they don't have any food banks. I asked about cans about to expire, but they said there was nothing near the expiration date. I will keep asking other vets. Maybe I will finally luck out. 🤞🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.