Is Anyone Else Struggling to Get Enough Catfood with the Current Supply Shortages we are Encountering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried about any of this. If push comes to shove, we can always get meat from the store, cook it, and feed it to the cats. It may not be as nutritious as cat food, but it will do in a pinch. A few veggies thrown in will help too.
Good. I am working on being more resourceful and not rely so heavy on store bought cat food. Today I went to my supermarket and the shelves were pretty bare. I am not sure if this is another round with supply shortages or of this is Post Holiday clearance where people bought cat food while shopping for Thanksgiving.

Anyhow, I am remaining positive. Just have to roll with the punches as they say. Thanks for posting. 🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
There's actually a forum on the Cat Site about homemade food. Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food If we run out of prepared food, this forum is worth a look-see. Lots of people are already doing it.
Thank you. I will have to visit there. If it is cheaper to make from scratch than commercially made cat food, than that's the way to go. I feed a lot of ferals, so it does get costly.

Thanks once again. 🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. Hopeful things will keep getting better. Whatever happens, my kitties are still getting feed. I hope winter over here isn't so brutal this year.

I went to Walmart today and the cases of 40 can Chicken and Fish are back . Yay!! In the last month or so, I could only get there 12 can cases. So things are looking up. TG!

:clap::wavey::clap2:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. Hopeful things will keep getting better. Whatever happens, my kitties are still getting feed. I hope winter over here isn't so brutal this year.

I went to Walmart today and the cases of 40 can Chicken and Fish are back . Yay!! In the last month or so, I could only get there 12 can cases. So things are looking up. TG!

:clap::wavey::clap2:
Excellent!!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been grabbing some almost every time I shop. I bought the girls a new scratching post for Christmas from Chewy yesterday and got a case of food. I have a few cases of foods on my Amazon subscribe and save that I get on rotation. They haven't had the big bag of Dr. Elsey's dry chicken in a while so I've had to get the 2 pound bags. I have one in this month's order that's coming next week. I have over 100 cans on hand so we'll be good for a while.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been grabbing some almost every time I shop. I bought the girls a new scratching post for Christmas from Chewy yesterday and got a case of food. I have a few cases of foods on my Amazon subscribe and save that I get on rotation. They haven't had the big bag of Dr. Elsey's dry chicken in a while so I've had to get the 2 pound bags. I have one in this month's order that's coming next week. I have over 100 cans on hand so we'll be good for a while.
Excellent! I always recommend, and hope that, cat guardians keep inventory on food and litter, at very least. I also keep stock on treats (Greenies chicken, tuna, and salmon) and catnip spray. Because CATS! ;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent! I always recommend, and hope that, cat guardians keep inventory on food and litter, at very least. I also keep stock on treats (Greenies chicken, tuna, and salmon) and catnip spray. Because CATS! ;)
I agree. I rarely have less than 100 pounds of litter in the house. We have 5 litter boxes so I need to keep a good stock on hand. I don't buy treats often because they get plain cooked meat as treats. I needed to get my chewy order up for free shipping yesterday so I bought a bag of American Journey chicken treats. They are made with just chicken. The girls like those a lot.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I got short a couple of times--once last year and once this year, I am now keeping ahead on things. I have an 2 cases of canned food in my closet and 2 bags of dry food. I also have 3 boxes of litter. I really do not feel there is a need to have more than 2; but, you never know--with the weather and such.....

Geoffrey eats prescription food, so it is important to keep that in stock. As for the litter, he is not fussy...I am the fussy one!!;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I got short a couple of times--once last year and once this year, I am now keeping ahead on things. I have an 2 cases of canned food in my closet and 2 bags of dry food. I also have 3 boxes of litter. I really do not feel there is a need to have more than 2; but, you never know--with the weather and such.....

Geoffrey eats prescription food, so it is important to keep that in stock. As for the litter, he is not fussy...I am the fussy one!!;)
Yes!!! I'd run out of food for myself before I would for my cats. They depend on me, after all. And we're lucky to have a lot of storage space -- I keep some food in the utility closet and the rest in our two IKEA sideboards, while the litter stacks up in the laundry room. But if I didn't have that space I'd stack it anywhere I could. It's just so important that they have enough! especially in these crazy times.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 artiemom artiemom tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06

I am so happy to hear that things are getting better and you all are to stock up on cat food and litter. I have been stocking up as best as I can. I am taking no chances with winter around the corner. I feed a whole bunch of outdoor kitties, so when I first put up this thread things looked bleak and I was panicking. I am feeling more confident now.

I hope that those special brands that are in short supply start making it's way onto the shelves again. Hang in there.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 artiemom artiemom tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06

I am so happy to hear that things are getting better and you all are to stock up on cat food. I have been stocking up as best as I can. I am taking no chances with winter around the corner. I feed a whole bunch of outdoor kitties, so when I first put up this thread things looked bleak and I was panicking. I am feeling more confident now.

I hope that those special brands that are in short supply start making it's way onto the shelves again. Hang in there.🙂
You too! "Make hay while the sun shines" everyone!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to forget to say I love your avatar and your footers!

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw that the local supermarket is empty of cat food now. I made a gamble and bought the Tiny Tiger variety pack on Chewy of chicken, beef and turkey pates. It looks and smells very similar to Fancy Feast pates (maybe slightly moister) but more like the naturals line as far as ingredients and was cheaper. It came out to 53 cents per can before tax with their 20% black friday promo. I’ve given the chicken flavor so far and my boy loves it (my girl cat hates wet food no matter what). He was a TNR was a feral colony that was taken in by a rescue group because he was so friendly. I wish I had bought another case, but I guess that remains to be seen on how he feels about the the turkey and beef.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that the local supermarket is empty of cat food now. I made a gamble and bought the Tiny Tiger variety pack on Chewy of chicken, beef and turkey pates. It looks and smells very similar to Fancy Feast pates (maybe slightly moister) but more like the naturals line as far as ingredients and was cheaper. It came out to 53 cents per can before tax with their 20% black friday promo. I’ve given the chicken flavor so far and my boy loves it (my girl cat hates wet food no matter what). He was a TNR was a feral colony that was taken in by a rescue group because he was so friendly. I wish I had bought another case, but I guess that remains to be seen on how he feels about the the turkey and beef.
Well, the Logic of Cat states that if you buy large quantities of something new, Cat will turn up Cat Nose and present TAIL. So maybe it's good to test them on it first. Hope you can find more of this, and the other formulas, next time you go. It sounds good!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Empty shelves again at Kroger and Tractor Supply. I still have a week or so supply on hand and there are some brands available at Petco that I don't usually buy. Still going through some frozen Thanksgiving turkey and ham, so they have that in addition to the remaining soft food. They won't starve, that's for sure. They'll eat anything I put in their bowls, and that's reassuring.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. It is always good to find reasonably priced alternatives to the usual brands we buy. I am going to check out the Tiny Tiger brand. Thanks once again. 🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Empty shelves again at Kroger and Tractor Supply. I still have a week or so supply on hand and there are some brands available at Petco that I don't usually buy. Still going through some frozen Thanksgiving turkey and ham, so they have that in addition to the remaining soft food. They won't starve, that's for sure. They'll eat anything I put in their bowls, and that's reassuring.
I have been hearing the same thing from others online. I thought this might happen with the Holiday season upon us, I wish we had a few months to recover from the Shortages. My supermarket had empty shelves earlier this week, I thought it could be the aftermath of Thanksgiving shopping. I will make another trip there again or at my pet store this week and report what I see. Thanks for posting. I appreciate it. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.