Is Anyone Else Struggling to Get Enough Catfood with the Current Supply Shortages we are Encountering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do I only seem to find shreds and pate available? My cats don't like shreds, probably because they are older cats and it's hard to chew. I have one who doesn't like pate. What has happened to the meatier bit versions of cat food? Also, it seems that variety cartons are mostly available now. I find that being able to select what my cats will actually eat is more economical because the varieties always have something mine won't touch. (Usually, that's beef or turkey).
Have your cats tried Blue Buffalo Wilderness "flaked" varieties? My cats love the chicken & turkey, trout, and chicken & trout. For a smoother formula, they like the Red Meat Feast.

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same here. I took in 5 foster babies from my local shelter (socialize and return at 2 lbs), and the only kitten cans around town start at $1.69/ 3 oz. Needless to say, they're eating mostly adult food with dry kitten chow always available. I can't afford better and the shelter depends on donations, so I'm trying not to beg them for food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I hope the rest of your order comes in with no major delays. This is going to be a rough month with the the supply shortages problem and the usual high influx of holiday deliveries. Everybody I spoke to who does get cat food delivered, has a bigger order put in already to hold over for a while. They"re taking no chances. Can't blame them.
chaucer chaucer I have the same problem and I feed outdoor cats. They are not crazy over the Pates. They will eat the Shreds, but if I put out a Friskiy Gravy or Meaty cat food they will eat it. They do like Chicken more than the other flavors. I tell you for outdoor kitties they are fussy. Oh well, hopeful when the weather gets colder they will be more happy with what they get.
christinemoon christinemoon I have been looking at the Fancy Feast which I buy for my indoor cat. I can never find the Kitten canned food nor the gravies. Fancy feast in my super market and pet store cost about 80 cents. I did go into a Target recently. I seen kitten food. Purina One Kitten wet food is about $1 per can. I also did see a case of Blue Buffalo Kitten wet food (6 cans) for under $8 in Walmart. That is less than what you pay per can for whatever brand you are buying. Well, I hope you find something a little cheaper. Thank you for for fostering those kitties. :rock:

Katie M Katie M Consider yourself very lucky. I been down quite a few pet food aisles that were completely decimated. My local pet store wasn't as bad, but was not as stocked as it normally would be. Things are improving now. I am hoping this supply shortage situation is finally getting resolved. 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My ferals hate pate as well. It is a mystery to me who eats it, as someplace on the planet some cats must like it, but I have never had one who did. Right now I have two cases of it and I am putting it out regardless.

Petsmart had more stock today in the FF and Friskies area but you had to take what they had. So grilled, for example, was available but possibly not in your cat's favorite flavor. Some cats respond to textures, so that might not be the worst thing.

My Chewy order did arrive today in its entirety, fortunately. Privately owned pet store was not well stocked which means that people have been going in and buying those premium foods at a hugely inflated price....another comment on what is going on.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom Yay!!! I am so glad your Chewie order came in. What a relief it must be!!! I seriously don't understand why the Pates are always pushed by cat food companies, especially Friskies. If they did there homework, they would know that many cats don't care for it. Every cat I owned and every outdoor kitty I feed hates that stuff. I wish they produced more of the Gravies and Meaty bits. Now those would get eating up in no time when I put it out. Hopefully, those kind of cat food will be back on the shelves soon.

I use to buy some of the premiums, but it is way too pricey. If they are jacking up the prices to take advantage of this shortage situation. Shame in them!!! Oh how I detest Price Gougers and Greedy Opportunists. 🤨 I hope we will get back to normal soon. I see things improving--so I am hopeful.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby Su and Elvis, and others in our furmily in the past, love(d) pate! And my boss' cats won't eat anything but. So I guess we're making a dent in that supply.
Yeah, I won't say what I'd like to see happen to price gougers and greedy opportunists and every other kind of avaricious, money-grubbing thieves and extortionists. Because this is a nice site and I don't want to offend. *But WE KNOW, don't we?!!* ;) :fuming:🤬

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess there are cats that love it. Funny thing, I never seen a cat that loved it, so I guess the cats I have taking care of and currently taking care of are just fussy. It may be they like certain textures as Fionasmom mentioned above.

I would love to see these despicable kind of people get a taste of their own medicine. It is not okay to take advantage of a supply shortage situation or worst-- a crisis situation and do this. Shame on them!!! Yeah, I have some sharp words to say about them, but I will end it here.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess there are cats that love it. Funny thing, I never seen a cat that loved it, so I guess the cats I have taking care of and currently taking care of are just fussy. It may be they like certain textures as Fionasmom mentioned above.

I would love to see these despicable kind of people get a taste of their own medicine. It is not okay to take advantage of a supply shortage situation or worst-- a crisis situation and do this. Shame on them!!! Yeah, I have some sharp words to say about them, but I will end it here.🙂
Who's with us??? :fuming: 🤬 There are few things lower than those.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I should add that the local TNR group (they also do adoptions) feed only pate. Since most of those cats have not had anything else, or have no choice, they all eat it. The admin of the group will not buy any of the gravy type foods as too many cats just lick off the gravy and then wait for more....which does make sense.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know. And prices don't go down. Fancy Feast is a good brand that's more budget-conscious. Nutro is another.
I actually use Friskies and Nine Lives wet food for the inside and outside cats respectively. They get Nine Lives or Friskies dry as well - doesn't matter which one. I have a new cat that is a very large cat (long, muscular and big, but not overweight) and he eats dinner-plate sized meals comprised of wet and dry food.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it is a miracle that we are getting anything delivered in one piece.View attachment 402444
So glad you got your order in, even if it looked like the box was falling a part. As long as the food inside is okay that's what matters.

I shared this experience elsewhere on this site. On two separate occasions me and my sister went shopping at BJ's. We got a bunch of cases of cat food that we were going to split. When we got home, there was a smell that wasn't picked up before. One of the cases had busted cans .....that had live maggots in it. 🤢🤮 Thankfully we got a refund. A similar thing happened a year later, but this time the maggots were dead. The delivery people or warehouse staff needs to not be so rough with the cat food. I take no chances and thoroughly inspect things before it goes in the cart.

So things could always be worse. So glad you got your delivery and right before Thanksgiving. Yay!🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you got your order in, even if it looked like the box was falling a part. As long as the food inside is okay that's what matters.

I shared this experience elsewhere on this site. On two separate occasions me and my sister went shopping at BJ's. We got a bunch of cases of cat food that we were going to split. When we got home, there was a smell that wasn't picked up before. One of the cases had busted cans .....that had live maggots in it. 🤢🤮 Thankfully we got a refund. A similar thing happened a year later, but this time the maggots were dead. The delivery people or warehouse staff needs to not be so rough with the cat food. I take no chances and thoroughly inspect things before it goes in the cart.

So things could always be worse. So glad you got your delivery and right before Thanksgiving. Yay!🙂
I've had leaking cans before, too. I called petco.com and they issued a credit, as I recall. The metal cans and tops are not very strong and we are encouraged to inspect the cans before we buy. Of course, with shipping that's not possible. And you can't very well open the plastic on a case you buy in a store, either. :sigh:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I've had leaking cans before, too. I called petco.com and they issued a credit, as I recall. The metal cans and tops are not very strong and we are encouraged to inspect the cans before we buy. Of course, with shipping that's not possible. And you can't very well open the plastic on a case you buy in a store, either. :sigh:
Those lids have gotten flimsier over the years. The cat food companies should invest in thicker lids to minimize theses situations from happening. Of course cracks in the cans are another problem.

That's one of the downsides to online deliveries. I never had a problem when I order cat food thankfully. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.