Is anyone else annoyed by the 'orange cat' stereotype?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rusty was the sweetest most kind gentle orange and white tabby cat in my world. He was perfect. I miss him.

People love to label everything and everyone.

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This perception may have to do with a law of numbers: orange tabbies are very common, and in reality their personalities are highly variable, but the behavior that’s most likely to be captured and shared with others is when the cat is doing or has done something rather silly, ill-timed, or poorly thought out. The stars of “dumb cat” videos are more likely to be orange tabbies simply because orange tabbies are more common, not necessarily because they have any greater tendency towards unintelligence.

That said, I’ve had two orange tabbies and I petsit for a third, and none of them fit the stereotype, either. The first I don’t remember much of because I was young, but the second was very aloof and enjoyed annoying my mother. The third is one of three cats in the household I petsit for, and he’s usually the most level-headed of the bunch!
I have noticed that there is one constant: every single black and white (tuxedo) cat I've seen shows above-average aggression. Every single one. Dunno, maybe it's a brazilian thing...:dunno:
Might be a regional thing - here in the US, most people I’ve talked to associate tuxedo cats with being goofy little love-bugs too smart for their own good (which 100% describes my own tuxedo cat - the only “aggressive” he is is “aggressively cuddly“!).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not annoyed by it but I have heard it.

I think those that believe it are pretty dumb and that's funny to me 😹 Most of the behaviours are actually quite intelligent, creative or curious things. Sometimes you have to know the cat to understand.

We played with a top with Magnus as a baby and as a result he tries to see what he can twirl. I'm sure a regular owner would see it as stupid behaviour, but what other cats are experimenting to see if you can twirl a cupboard door to open it? Pretty smart problem solving if you ask me.