Is Amlodipine Prescribed for Heart Issues Other than Hypertension?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 22 y/o cat was recently prescribed amlodipine and I don't know why exactly. The discharge instructions were emailed to me, but no specific reason was given as to why it was prescribed. Her blood pressure was normal, but her EKG was not. They confirmed the presence of a heart murmur. An ultrasound was done 5 years ago and even though it showed some things that weren't quite right, there was no need for medication at that time. I realize things can change in 5 years, I'm just trying to supply as much info as I can.

Her kidney values are high, but just a little bit. She's not dehydrated, possibly has IBD and pancreatitis (the Spec fPL was over 10, anything over 5.3 is indicative of pancreatitis).

I realize I need to ask the vet why the medicine was prescribed, but I wanted to collect some info on it first. I thought it was only prescribed for high blood pressure, but maybe there are other reasons I'm just not aware of.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi spac !

Yes, I would insist on having at least a short followup consult with the Vet after a hospitalization. Now, I've always had them as part of the total package of care. Certainly with her kidney and heart conditions, the addition of a drug that will modify her circulatory system really demands that discussion.

Here's a better veterinary perspective of amlodipine - read carefully the "Background" section, particularly how this drug works on the arterial muscles....lessening/easing the work of the heart muscles. That, I think, would be useful background for your discussion with the Vet. Here you are: Amlodipine - Veterinary Partner.vin.com.

Come back this time and let us know as well, will you?

(Pancreatitis can be complicated and difficult to see one's way through (especially if your juggling with a couple of other conditions)....here's a plain-language coverage for you: Tanya's Guide...Pancreatitis.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First I would preface by saying my experience is with humans not with cats in this manner, so still check with your vet . Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker that helps reduce the work of the heart (as well as lower blood pressure). So if your cat has a heart murmur it means that probably one of his/her valves is not working as effectively making his heart work a bit harder to get enough blood out with each contraction. Amlodipine helps to give a more effective contraction as well as to decrease blood pressure which will also help reduce the work of the heart. Think about if you had to squeeze fluid through a straw (without amlodipine) vs through a garden hose (with amlodipine). I am not sure of the use of that particular one in cats but we use it an awful lot in humans with heart conditions. Does that help?

Also edited to say - is your cat really 22 years old???? Wow!!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as a RN I gve a lot of amlodipine to elderly patients to help their heart not work as hard. It relaxes the vessel walls so it is easier to pump blood. It also relaxes the vessels to the kidneys, which can be damaged by restricted blood flow, or too high of pressure. In your cat's case it was most likely prescribed to help her kidneys stay healthy and help her ageing herat pump with less effort. definitely question your vet as to why it was prescribed. 22 years is a wonderful long age, congratulations to you both!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help.

I looked back over the discharge instructions and saw something I had missed. Under the part about Amlodipine and the dosing it states, "the expected decline should be around the 40 mmHg range, but can vary." So that makes it sound like it's being prescribed for blood pressure, yes? Does an EKG show blood pressure? It shows ventricular and aortic pressure, right? Is that the same as blood pressure? If the EKG was abnormal (it was), then whatever was there could be a legitimate reason for prescribing the medication?

The vet won't be in until Monday so I'll have to wait until then. I guess I'm kind of paranoid because I've had vets prescribe incorrect things in the past, I really have to stay on top of them. They have a bad habit of not keeping up with feline veterinary medicine or prescribing doses based on a 10 lb. cat when this one is 5 lbs.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No an ekg doesn't show blood pressure, but it often is ordered for blood pressure (I am on one for that). Usually they can hear a murmur when they listen with their stethoscope. If cats are similar to humans, it would not be unusual to be prescribed a calcium channel blocker for heart issues.