Is a Siamese Cat Right for my Situation? Advice Needed. Thanks!

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heya,

So I’m making another post – since the first was non-specific. I am hoping to get input from Siamese Cat owners about this.

Currently I have a Male Maine Coon who’s 11 months old. Very active and adorable... and a total piglet. I want to get him a friend. I’m considering a Siamese Male Cat… I watched some videos on youtube and my concerns are:

1- Siamese need a lot of space to run – currently I live in an apartment. I am hoping sometime this year to move into a house but we’ll see (prices are through the roof). There is some space to run but it’s not massive (massive human vs cat perception??). How much room do I need?

2- They have separation anxiety and can feel depressed/abandoned if you’re not there – I do have a full-time job. Would my Maine Coon be enough to help with that? What if I go on vacation? Then what? Would my Maine Coon be enough to keep him company/non-depressed/abandoned?

3- Will a Siamese Male get along with a Maine Coon Male? On youtube it says Siamese cats get along with other cats – but high energy cats. Right now my cat is super high energy – but he’s essentially a kitten. I suspect this energy will significantly decrease when he gets older (my first Maine Coon so I’m not 100% sure).

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Your attaching too much importance to breed. Yes, there are some known breed behaviors that seem to often manifest in most cats of the breed, like Abyssinians are amoung the best jumpers, and Siamese do tend to talk a lot, but in general, breed tendencies are not really so pronounced in cats and all cats are a dice roll as far as behaviors;

2. The major issue with 2 cats in a small apartment is that when they play at 3 am, good chance they are going to wake you up. It also makes introductions harder, and makes separating cats harder if there are problems, I don't see introductions/separations as a big issue for you (see 3 below); and

3. An 11 month old is highly likely to get along with a kitten of any breed after an adjustment period.

4. Cats do well with short vacations, but for more than a few days its helpful to have someone come in every day, scoop the litter, feed them and spend at least a few minutes with them. In general, this is an area cats do much better than dogs. Having a friend for company will certianly help too.

Last edited: