Purraise
I am trying to think of a xmas present because I really don't need anything

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'd say it depends, if you have any situation where you can't, or don't want to be (in the case of a feral), near the cat but need to see what is happening, then absolutely it's worth it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to think of a xmas present because I really don't need anything
Then perhaps the best present is NO present. I assure you that is one of the hardest gifts for others to give you. To give that "gift", the donor must REALLY care about you and your feelings as it goes against everything we are taught from birth.

Why do we continue to add stress to our lives, waste our money and waste our time buying gifts to be received by others who don't need or want them, simply because when the "yearly xmas bell rings", we are expected to do so.

Now, having said that. .....if you are concerned about your "baby (ies)" when you are not around, maybe this Xmas get the pet monitor and NEXT year say no to presents. :lol:

Seriously, last year was the first time in my life that I bought almost no presents, just one for a family gift exchange. Im almost 60 years old....how much stuff do I need? Best xmas ever.....I LOVED LOVED LOVED driving by the packed shopping malls, knowing I did not have to stop and shop.

The "presence" of Greg and arnold ARE all the presents I need.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree that Christmas presents are for some people really unnecessary and stressful. I cut almost everyone out of Christmas a few years ago, and we now exchange only modest presents on birthdays. None of us needed anything and it was ridiculous. My husband and I do not exchange gifts either.

As for the monitor, if you will use it, then it is a good gift. I personally will get one eventually due to the ferals outside...and at least it is a cat related gift.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We ditched a lot of gift giving when we noticed a friend of ours go into debt to buy gifts (big, expensive stuff) for his grown children who were in no way hurting for money to buy their own toys. That, in my eyes, is foolish.
We have friends that demand gift giving yearly, and we told them that we simply didn't need anything. They did a great thing for us. They took the money they would have used to buy us something, donated it to a local rescue, and had the rescue make up a little certificate stating that X person donated (amount) in our name to help feed hungry pets. Now that's a gift.
I think the monitor would be a great gift, if it's something you'd use. I was reading that there are some models now that you can talk to pets on your phone via the monitor. (Can you imagine being in the doctors waiting room, cooing "Mommy/Daddy will be back soon"? :p)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We ditched a lot of gift giving when we noticed a friend of ours go into debt to buy gifts (big, expensive stuff) for his grown children who were in no way hurting for money to buy their own toys. That, in my eyes, is foolish.
We have friends that demand gift giving yearly, and we told them that we simply didn't need anything. They did a great thing for us. They took the money they would have used to buy us something, donated it to a local rescue, and had the rescue make up a little certificate stating that X person donated (amount) in our name to help feed hungry pets. Now that's a gift.
I think the monitor would be a great gift, if it's something you'd use. I was reading that there are some models now that you can talk to pets on your phone via the monitor. (Can you imagine being in the doctors waiting room, cooing "Mommy/Daddy will be back soon"? :p)
My dad asks every year what we want for xmas. He buys expensive gifts that I have no interest in. I am poor. I like the idea of donating

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 , could you ask him for gift cards to places like Amazon or a store near by? You could buy yourself something you'd like, and use any of the leftover money to donate.
One year, one of my relatives asked us what kind of cake we liked for Christmas. We both agreed, something simple without any nuts or fancy stuff. They baked us a plain yellow cake with white frosting, and gave us a little bag of nuts and bolts from the hardware store with a note that said "Duncan Hines Spare Parts" :lol:

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, sometimes people don't like giving gift cards or making donations because the recipient will know how much the person spent (or couldn't afford to spend) on them. I have this issue every year when buying something for elderly relatives. I can only afford to spend on the two of them (a married couple) less than half of what they spend on me. I don't want them knowing that, it makes me feel bad.

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a cat monitor for Christmas two years ago and it's been my favorite gift. I travel a lot and can see my kitties whenever I miss them. And when my older cat got sick in August I could relieve my anxiety by monitoring him with the camera. We noticed problems quickly and were able to get him to the vet. I could be at work and still feel like I was keeping him safe.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A pet monitor is good. Not only you can monitor your cats, you can also keep an eye on the house just in case of a power failure. Once there's power failure, which you won't be able to view it and you can immediately get someone over to have the house checked out and restore back the power so that your kitties will be safe and also the stuffs in the refrigerator won't go bad else you'll come home to a horrible stench from things rotting in the refrigerator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A pet monitor is good. Not only you can monitor your cats, you can also keep an eye on the house just in case of a power failure. Once there's power failure, which you won't be able to view it and you can immediately get someone over to have the house checked out and restore back the power so that your kitties will be safe and also the stuffs in the refrigerator won't go bad else you'll come home to a horrible stench from things rotting in the refrigerator.
Those are very good reasons to get one. I will suggest that to my dad to get me. Living in Houston, I would not be surprised if that happens

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Those are very good reasons to get one. I will suggest that to my dad to get me. Living in Houston, I would not be surprised if that happens
Yes, and that not only applies to power failures but also keep an eye on the elderly and also any mishaps with hoomans or cats and power failures.

Get those with good night visions viewing.