Is a neutered cat who stops spraying likely to start again?

nymeria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(note: I did read the sticky, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question in there, so I'm posting here)

Hello all! I'm a hopeful future cat-owner. I've been doing my research lately and have been visiting shelters and foster homes in hopes of finding the perfect cat for me.

I did meet a cat I really liked today, but I do have some concerns and I'm hoping maybe some people can shed some light on this and share their experiences!

The cat I'm interested is a 2 year old male cat who used to be a stray and was recently taken in by a volunteer and neutered only 2 months ago. He seemed very calm, affectionate, and sweet and didn't seem to bothered by other cats when I saw him.

I am concerned about spraying, however, since I've read that male cats are more likely to spray than females, and especially so if they are intact or were not neutered at a young age. I asked the foster about this, and she said that the cat in question did spray before he was neutered, but he hasn't sprayed since he was neutered (about 2 months ago). She also said that since cats spray to mark territory, and this cat lives with several other cats (probably  6 or 7) and doesn't spray, that it isn't likely he'll spray again.

I just wanted to get a second opinion. Do cats who spray, are neutered, and then stop spraying, ever resume that behavior? Or do they just stop spraying altogether? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to adopt but I really don't want to have to deal with spraying if it can be avoided. Would it be better to just keep searching for a female cat?

Thanks everyone!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience has been no issues.  I have had a few done at 1 yo or later and all were sprayers and stopped.  All live(d) with multiple cats and were outside prior to being neutered.  If the cat is in a home now and not spraying I would feel alot safer then if it wasn't. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females can also spray/pee to mark territory. 

Last edited:

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was neutered around 2yrs old and he sprayed when he was intact. He's 6yrs now and haven't sprayed since his surgery.