Is 16 weeks to old for a cat to join the family?

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have taken care of many kittens from birth on. I am contemplating getting a kitten from a breeder who won't let the kitten go until 16 weeks. I believe this is too old to bring into a family of pets and have it affectionate and comfortable. Perhaps I am wrong. Please give my your thoughts. I'm very nervous right now because the first time I went to what I thought was a breeder it turned out to be a scam and I lost my money. Now I have questions about the cat and it's age.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
16 weeks is about 4 months, right? I don't think that's too old at all. Selene was roughly that old when I brought her home, and she settled in with Charlie very quickly. She's always been affectionate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have other issues with the breeder so at least this may not be of concern.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is definitely not too old. It is still very much an adaptable kitten and usually confident enough to hold their own with other pets. May I ask what breed you are looking at?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four months old should be fine. It does place a bit more importance on the breeder being a decent human being and spending time with the kittens, but on the other hand plenty of people adopt older kittens rescued from the street with no great difficulties.

At some point, an adult cat will start to perceive a kitten as an adult, so if you factor in time for an introduction process, five months is probably not ideal. But four months old should be time to get an intro process done and still have some kitten time left over for them to work out any remaining issues on their own.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Provided the kitten is socailized with people, in a house, 16 weeks is find. I think they should be with their family until they are at least 12 weeks old.

Have you asked them why 16 weeks? That sounds like the age when a mom cat would start pushing her kittens to go off on their own.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I have other issues with the breeder so at least this may not be of concern.

If you're not comfortable with the breeder, then it would be best to look for a kitten from another breeder. CFA and TCA have breeders listed on their web site and it's always best to check references and such to be sure the breeder is reputable. If breed isn't important, shetlers and rescues usually have plenty kittens available.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 16 weeks is the idea age to adopt a kitten. They are no longer small and fragile, and also, the longer they are with mom and their siblings, the more confident they will become.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I concur with ALL of the above. In fact, I'm far more alerted by your "other issues" than with the kitten's age. Cat of all ages have adapted well to joining new families with a proper introduction, including seniors! Sixteen weeks is considered the ideal age for adopting kittens, as they have learned how to "cat" from their mothers by then. It is the younger kittens (6-8 weeks) who tend to have issues.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur with ALL of the above. In fact, I'm far more alerted by your "other issues" than with the kitten's age. Cat of all ages have adapted well to joining new families with a proper introduction, including seniors! Sixteen weeks is considered the ideal age for adopting kittens, as they have learned how to "cat" from their mothers by then. It is the younger kittens (6-8 weeks) who tend to have issues.

They sure do, they seem to have a lot of insecurity and behavioral issues.