Is 1/4 cup of food enough for a 3 month kitten?

FrankieFranks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten got prescribed a special diet for her bloody stools and diarrhea. The instructions and vet tell me to only feed her 1/4 a cup a DAY, for dry food. I feel like that is insane. She also has wet food cans, and she gets 1-1/4 of a cup a day.

I decided to half her dry food amount and half her wet food amount so she can have both and not be over fed. Do you guys recommend this?

But is a diet like this normal for a diarrhea kitten?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you weigh her every week or so to ensure she's gaining? Is she acting hungry, or is she leaving food in the plate? Can you give her smaller meals throughout the day?

I'm not clear why you halved the amount. Maybe you can talk with your vet again, or talk to a different vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieFranks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Can you weigh her every week or so to ensure she's gaining? Is she acting hungry, or is she leaving food in the plate? Can you give her smaller meals throughout the day?

I'm not clear why you halved the amount. Maybe you can talk with your vet again, or talk to a different vet.
She’s not acting hungry, she eats all of the food. The reason I halved the amount is because 1/4 of dry food was for the entire day. I figured if I halved the dry, she can also have some wet food, since wet is better for kittens anyway.
Furthermore, the 1/4 of dry food is supposed to be split into two meals throughout the day; so either way, it is a small amount of food.
I will call another vet for a second opinion, thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is this kitten? Did the vet explain why her special food should be given in such a low amount? Do they know you are also feeding her wet food? If the dry food was given to her to help with bloody stool/diarrhea, perhaps there is a wet food version of it as well? Did the vet explain why this special food is supposed to help?

Was a fecal sample tested for parasites/bacteria? If you do get a second opinion, please get a copy of her records from the current vet so you share them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is this kitten? Did the vet explain why her special food should be given in such a low amount? Do they know you are also feeding her wet food? If the dry food was given to her to help with bloody stool/diarrhea, perhaps there is a wet food version of it as well? Did the vet explain why this special food is supposed to help?

Was a fecal sample tested for parasites/bacteria? If you do get a second opinion, please get a copy of her records from the current vet so you share them.
I'm wondering the same thing. Does the Vet know you are feeding her wet food in addition to the prescription dry. They may have put her on it for a very specific reason and the wet you are feeding may offset that reason. We need more information here. Age and size of kitten is important.

Splitting up her food between 1/8 cup for one meal and 1/8 cup later on should be fine, but we can't know if it's enough without more details. And you said you feed 1 and 1/4 CUPS of wet food a day? How do you measure that out. Most wet food comes in cans or pounches and are measured in either ounces or kg. Just want to make sure we have the correct info so far :wink:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal kittens, up to one year old, should be permitted o eat as much as they want. First they continuing to grow during that period, and second, they are hyper active.

Ask your vet if you can feed your kitten more wet food. Kitten grade. Keep us updated! Please!