Irrigating fang sockets

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 18n year old had to have both of his upper fangs removed.  Brought him in yesterday for a checkup and found out from the Vet that both of the sockets were filled up with food.  I was told that I would have to irrigate both sockets twice a day or at least once daily.  Here's my question.  What is going to be the easiest way to get this done?  It's not that I'm afraid to do it.  I just want to make it as easy as possible for the both of us.  I've been giving him pills and liquid meds by wrapping him up in a towel, I call him taco kitty when I do that,  and then lay him  down on my elevated legs and then open up his mouth and get the meds in and down.  I'm not sure about doing the irrigation the same way because of the water factor.  Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.  He's been thru so much and if my "old" vet would have had his way, he'd would no longer be with me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was going to show me because they needed to be irrigated when I brought him in for a checkup but then she forgot and so did I.  We did get it done last night but it took two of us and I was rather hoping that this was something I could do by myself rather than waiting for someone to help me with it.  Wrapped him up in a towel, taco kitty, and put him on his back and my husband held him in place and I irrigated.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hmmm.......I myself would not put him on his back to do it. I would be worried about him choking on the water.
Could you maybe wrap him up taco style then put him on his side, do that side of mouth. Then turn him over and do the other side of mouth - would this work ?

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to bring him in for her to show u how to do it. bring in a stuffed animal and she can show u on that, gratis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because I no longer trust the local clinic I now travel 60 miles for my animal's care.  You need trust when dealing with your animal's health just as you need to trust your own doctor for your health.  Day 2 went okay and trust me by the time I get to the socket to irrigate it he's no longer on his back.  Poor baby.  Thankfully, a few minutes after the procedure we're bumping heads and we're good.