Iron in water

hjrd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have recently moved to a home with a well and the water has a LOT of iron in it. Both indoor cats love to drink from the sink but I am worried that so much iron will hurt them. Is there a need to be worried? They will not drink bottled water!

PS Had the water tested and there is no bacteria or parasites.

Thanks
Joan

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats actually benifit from iron. Too much iron is pretty rare. If you have a real concern with the water, I would buy a filter to put on the faucet you will let them drink out of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hjrd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have heard that too much iron can cause diarrhea in humans so I was wondering. Coincidentally since I wrote the original message this am, the cats have developed diarrhea -- so it's off to the vet tomorrow.

We are in the process of getting a filter for the whole house but then I will worry about the potassium permanganate in the the water!

I guess when they get good and thirsty they WILL drink bottled water like we do.

Thanks again,
Joan

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take them to the vet just to be on the safe side for sure. If the move was very recent, like within the last week, it may be due to stress as well. I would ask if they can run a test to find out if it was the iron. A lot of cat owners that I know have well water and they wont even drink it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hjrd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cats to the vet because of diarrhea... thought it was well water because they had not had a change in cat food ever. Found nothing wrong.

Turns out it was the Friskies - I called the company because I thought they might have had reports of contaminated batches. They didn't act surprised at my questions --- they told me that they had just added chicory to their cat food. I don't know what chicory is supposed to do for cats but it did mine no favors!!!

Joan