Involuntary muscle spasms

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 7 months old, she was spayed 2 months ago but since spaying she has started having muscle spasms, these only happen when you go to stroke her (Just before contact) and for a few seconds after you first stroke her, then they seem to just stop.
She isn't in any pain that I can see, she let's me stroke the length of her body head to tail no problem and is in great health generally.
This doesn't happen any other time during the day or night only when you go to and actually do stroke her.
Is this normal as she did not do this before spaying.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you describe what these spasms look like, or video them with your phone and post them? This could be an issue starting, or (and most likely) a bit of nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you describe what these spasms look like, or video them with your phone and post them? This could be an issue starting, or (and most likely) a bit of nothing.
It won't let me send the video for some reason, it uploads and then says it does not have an allow extensions

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 December 2021
Thank you Norachan.
I'm not sure if I have done this right if it has you will see no spasm lying down but around 30 seconds in when she stands up she has a couple and then it stops.

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 December 2021

I didn't change the file name on YouTube so its under 3 December 2021

She gets up and walks around normal no spasm or anything, this only happens when she's sat or stood up and I go to stroke her, its just before I stroke her and for the first minute of contact then it stops

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
To be honest I don't think this is anything to worry about. I think she's just reacting to a little static build up when you pet her or anticipating this before you start to pet her. My cats do the same thing, particularly when the air is dry and they feel a little more sensitive.

There is something called Twitch Cat Syndrome or Feline hyperesthesia syndrome, but the symptoms are way more severe than the ones your kitten has.

Twitch-Skin Syndrome in Cats | PetMD

If it seems to get any more intense then of course consult your vet, but I think it's just a normal reaction to being petted.

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice, I did worry as this only started after her spaying,
She has been a special project for me (day and night) for the last 3 months which is when I got her and brought her home to now.
We were told she was 7 months old but that was a lie we later found out she would have only been 4 months old...
The poor little love hid under the wardrobe and went on hunger, drink and litter strike for the first 3 days, that was a major worry but people on this site helped me massively with this.
Then when she came out she would not come anywhere near me, she constantly hid and jumped at any little noise or movement she did not trust anyone and especially feet. (I think her previous owner liked to shoe his kittens into one room so fast movements next to her a no go, even now loud noises and fast movements make her jump, run and hide)
I patiently waited and let her come to me and not rush her, everything was done at her pace this took over 2 months but she's more than worth it.

Now she sits and waits for her food to be put out, practically sits on my arm supervising me.
She let's me stroke her and sticks her wet nose all over me, shows me her butt while petting and rolls on her back for me to stroke her belly as you can see in the video lol, oh and likes to bring me her toys at 3.30am and swaps them for my socks.. very odd kitten

You would think she was a completely different kitty so as you can imagine I worry about any new developments with her, so all the help I receive from the group helps ease my mind and also gives me new tips and tricks to help with her 😁😁😁

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The movements look pretty innocuous to me. Sort of looks like she's working the kinks out after getting up. As long as it doesn't go on for any length of time, it shouldn't be a problem.

My cats do this once in a while when they get up, too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chiming in late, as I've had a BUSY few days! I concur, this doesn't look like much of anything. IF it gets noticeably more intense with time, mention it to the vet when you take her next, and take a video of it, but I think she's fine. And adorable. And precious. And I'm SO kittensmitten!