Introductions? One At A Time?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is it best to introduce my new kitten to both my other cats at the same time or one at a time? There doesn’t seem to be a clear answer on this.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had a specific reason to anticipate problems, perhaps it would be a good idea to do it one at a time, since every now and then there does seem to be extra complexity with more cats. However, staggered introductions isn't something that I've seen talked about here. Main reason being (at least I assume) is that sometimes even one on one introductions can take quite a while, and the timing and logistical drain of a staggered process is daunting.

So short answer, no, don't even think about it unless you have a specific reason to anticipate problems. Since the newcomer is a kitten, it is unlikely you will need a true staggered process. Maybe if the other two have some kind of history of problems with redirected aggression in the past; something like that. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with a truely staggered proess.

P.S. Of course, you could do some testing one on one. In other words, do the scent swapping, the let them see each other through cracked doors, and then put two together to test for serious problems. Thus, I think a partial or limited staggering is logical enough. However, even this is probably unnecessary when the newcomer is a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes thank you. We are doing that. They have been sniffing under the door and I took a blanket to the others that the kitten has been on. We may try a site swap today and feeding separated by a screen with limited view tonight. I do not anticipate any aggression issues but my 9 month old was the newby the last time I did this and he did great! It was his sister that put up a fuss but no aggression.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it should go fine. Even some of us on this forum have more or less just thrown a kitten into the mix and I would gladly do that myself if introducing a kitten to a young playful resident cat. Kittens are easier. Of course, once in a while there are lasting problems, especially with older and less active resident cats, so it is a good idea to do the standard introduction process even with a kitten, but definitely don't over-complicate it if you don't have a specific reason to anticipate problems. If you want, test the kitten with the 9 month old first. Quite possibly they will be playing in under an hour, and the kitten can get its energy out. If so, that may make the other introduction easier.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think I will just forge forward. If it looks like one is not doing well with it we will stop. The kitten will have a safe room to always go back to and he won't be left unsupervised with them for some time til I am sure he is safe. They are all technically kittens (my others are 9 and 11 months) so I have that going for me. Thank you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think I will just forge forward. If it looks like one is not doing well with it we will stop. The kitten will have a safe room to always go back to and he won't be left unsupervised with them for some time til I am sure he is safe. Thank you.
The kitten is almost always safe if it is of at least standard age for adoption. It wouldn't surprise me if the 9 month old plays roughly enough with the kitten to be off putting if you haven't seen it before, but if the kitten is of standard age and size it should be fine. There seems to be some biological hard wiring preventing true aggression towards kittens. Sometimes an older cat will hold down a kitten and make it squeal a little though, to teach the little one some manners or in zealous play. As long as the kitten doesn't act afraid once the play is done it isn't a problem.

Good luck (but you shouldn't really need it)!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well here is what I did... right or wrong! LOL!

Yesterday was his vet visit and first shots (clean bill of health, no issues). We tried a site swap to the living room but he was very tired, so we let him sleep in his safe room (my bedroom). Around supper he ate and seemed perkier. The other two are always right at the door when we open it, so we knew they were definitely interested. We used a baby gate to separate them and they both came to the gate as did the kitten and sniffed each other. My oldest boy was extremely interested in him. No growling or hissing and they touched noses. I thought that was enough and decided to site swap them to the family room. My kitten just seemed overwhelmed with the big space, kept hiding in the corner. We gave him time but he seemed frightened. I then wondered if having the other two in the room would lure him out so I tried. Sure enough he was more at ease having the other two cats in the room. My oldest boy and him are already fast friends. Ollie is trying to figure out how to play with him, but no aggression at all. My older girl is giving usual teenage attitude, but she will come around. He seems to sense he needs to keep his distance from her, but I think it will all work out. This happened when I introduced Ollie to her (actually a lot more hissing and growling) and they are now best friends. I think your good luck helped! Thank you!