Introduction

Donall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I've recently gotten two kittens.

Alfie, male, 14 weeks
Rue, female, 11 weeks

I've had alfie since he was 8 weeks and rue since she was 9 weeks.

I've kept them separated for tge most part, and can see each other through the glass door, but anytime I've attempted to introduce them alfie tries to bite rues head/neck while rue doesn't really seem to want to fight. Each time it's happened I've taken them apart because alfie seems like he is going too rough.

I'm wondering what I should do because as soon as Rue enters the room.alfie is jumping on her

Rue doesn't seem scared of alfie but I feel very nervous letting them in the room together.

Thanks in advance.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the 2 new kittens!

About introductions, generally 2 kittens are the easiest to introduce, and usually become friends very quickly. Your 2 are very close in age, so shouldn't be a great size difference either, so less chance of Alfie hurting Rue with rough play. And that is what he's trying to do - play with her.

How does Rue react when Alfie tries to play with her? Does she squeal and run away? Hiss or growl? I think, as long as there are humans to supervise, I'd let them hang out and see how things go. You can always try distracting Alfie with treats. :)

If Rue actually runs and hides when she sees Alfie, or if fur flies, or there is bloodshed, then you might want to keep them separated longer. But I think, right now, you should give them time together, and see how it goes.

Because kitten to kitten introductions are the easiest, TCS doesn't even have an "how to" article. The closest we have is How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles, which really isn't the case in your situation, but is the next easiest introduction to do after kitten to kitten.

Good luck. Post pics of your cutie pies, if you can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Rue is really quite small, and alfie seems to be a lot bigger compared to her but that's just by my estimate. Rue doesn't get too flustered byt if I leave then for more than a few seconds Rue might let out a small meow.

She doesn't seem to be deterred by it but as soon as she enters the room alfoe will chase her even if its into a cornor or behind the TV etc and rue doesn't seem to chase back.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do supervised time together, let them sleep on each others blankets etc. to exchange smells, feed them together and play with toys with them together. If Alfie gets too aggressive give him a time out etc.