Introduction started okay then went bad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, things are coming along. We have the secure gate up and Buddy is definitely more comfortable. He'll come out and lie on a cat bed we put in the TV room and spends the majority of the time out there. My husband was thrilled that Buddy came and sat on his lap for a while yesterday. There is a little gap under the gate so I've started feeding one treats on one side and then will slide treats under the gate to the cat on the other side. So they are quite close to each other having their treats and this is going well. I started feeding them on either side of the gate yesterday, too.
Now that Buddy likes this cat bed, guess who decided they also like this cat bed? Frankie has started sleeping in Buddy's bed when he is in that room :). He has never slept in that room before, he always likes to sleep in his cat tree or his bed which is in the front room. This just started yesterday. When Buddy came in later and sniffed the bed he walked away but I was able to get him to come back and lie in it with some catnip. Apparently Frankie is sleeping there again today. I feel like this is a good sign that Frankie is going to sleep in the bed that smells like Buddy, do you agree? My husband thinks he's just showing his dominance. I'm hoping Buddy will continue to sleep there too and they can get used to each other's scent.
So I feel like things are going well overall.
R

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again, things are coming along. We have the secure gate up and Buddy is definitely more comfortable. He'll come out and lie on a cat bed we put in the TV room and spends the majority of the time out there. My husband was thrilled that Buddy came and sat on his lap for a while yesterday. There is a little gap under the gate so I've started feeding one treats on one side and then will slide treats under the gate to the cat on the other side. So they are quite close to each other having their treats and this is going well. I started feeding them on either side of the gate yesterday, too.
Now that Buddy likes this cat bed, guess who decided they also like this cat bed? Frankie has started sleeping in Buddy's bed when he is in that room :). He has never slept in that room before, he always likes to sleep in his cat tree or his bed which is in the front room. This just started yesterday. When Buddy came in later and sniffed the bed he walked away but I was able to get him to come back and lie in it with some catnip. Apparently Frankie is sleeping there again today. I feel like this is a good sign that Frankie is going to sleep in the bed that smells like Buddy, do you agree? My husband thinks he's just showing his dominance. I'm hoping Buddy will continue to sleep there too and they can get used to each other's scent.
So I feel like things are going well overall.
R
"Hi again, things are coming along. " - Hi, great, let's take a look

"We have the secure gate up" - Great

" and Buddy is definitely more comfortable." - Fantastic!! As he gets more comfortable he will get more confident and a more confident cat is more likely to be accepted.

"He'll come out and lie on a cat bed we put in the TV room and spends the majority of the time out there." - WOW!!! Fantastic!! What is really is important how Frankie acts in that space.

"My husband was thrilled that Buddy came and sat on his lap for a while yesterday." - Awwwww, fantastic!!! Your husband will be a source of confidence. Terrific!!

" There is a little gap under the gate so I've started feeding one treats on one side and then will slide treats under the gate to the cat on the other side. So they are quite close to each other having their treats and this is going well. " - Great!!! Positive association. When you do it be on the side with Frankie to give him a bit of confidence. Frankie is the key in the process.

"I started feeding them on either side of the gate yesterday, too." - Great!!! How did it go?

"Now that Buddy likes this cat bed, guess who decided they also like this cat bed? Frankie has started sleeping in Buddy's bed when he is in that room :). " - Great!! Which room is it?

"He has never slept in that room before, he always likes to sleep in his cat tree or his bed which is in the front room. This just started yesterday." - Wow, GREAT!!! Positive association with Buddy's scent and something good (sleeping, relaxing).

" When Buddy came in later and sniffed the bed he walked away but I was able to get him to come back and lie in it with some catnip." - Great. It is fine if he sniffed and didn't want to go in. And great job for making a positive association with Frankie's scent.

"Apparently Frankie is sleeping there again today." - Awwwwwwwwww, great

" I feel like this is a good sign that Frankie is going to sleep in the bed that smells like Buddy, do you agree?" - TOTALLY AGREE!!! He smells Buddy, nothing negative happens AND he then enjoys himself in a good sleep. PERFECT!!

" My husband thinks he's just showing his dominance." - Well, I guess it could be. I would have to see his body language. Real dominance would be marking it. Some dominance would be rubbing his scent glands on it. Sleeping in it could be but a very mild form and if he is acting normal otherwise and interacting positively with Buddy (eating treats, etc) then it is totally fine. For now, I think it is terrific and positive and not a worry at all.

" I'm hoping Buddy will continue to sleep there too and they can get used to each other's scent." - Agreed BUT the key really is Frankie since he is the resident cat and it is "his" territory that is being "invaded". So if Frankie accepts Buddy Buddy will come around.

"So I feel like things are going well overall. " - I would say amazingly well. Just keep going slow, making those positive associations with food, scent, etc, make it as positive the encounters as possible, continue to build confidence through play, food, height and love (safely).

Fantastic!!! It warms my heart tremendously. There is some work but I really really encouraged as to how things are going. Always here for you so please ask anything anytime. Keep up the GREAT work!!! :)

Ridney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
" My husband thinks he's just showing his dominance." - Well, I guess it could be. I would have to see his body language. Real dominance would be marking it. Some dominance would be rubbing his scent glands on it. Sleeping in it could be but a very mild form and if he is acting normal otherwise and interacting positively with Buddy (eating treats, etc) then it is totally fine. For now, I think it is terrific and positive and not a worry at all.
Here is a pic, he's just sleeping in the bed and totally relaxed. I will keep you posted and definitely let you know if any questions!

Attachments

Ridney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, update time and need some advice. Things seem to be going well with them eating and getting treats on either side of the door in full view of each other. It was funny the other day, Frankie had his tail sticking out under the door into Buddy's side and Buddy was quite interested, didn't run away. If it had been the other way around, Frankie would have definitely grabbed the tail! He is more full of beans than usual as we've got cold and snow so he's staying inside for the most part. Lots of playtime!
So, I'd like to move things along and not sure how. I was thinking of having the door open a bit while doing the treats so I can close it quickly if either gets upset. I'm feeling confident things will work but still nervous, too. Any suggestions? I'm trying to attach a video but having difficulty, I'll keep trying.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, update time and need some advice. Things seem to be going well with them eating and getting treats on either side of the door in full view of each other. It was funny the other day, Frankie had his tail sticking out under the door into Buddy's side and Buddy was quite interested, didn't run away. If it had been the other way around, Frankie would have definitely grabbed the tail! He is more full of beans than usual as we've got cold and snow so he's staying inside for the most part. Lots of playtime!
So, I'd like to move things along and not sure how. I was thinking of having the door open a bit while doing the treats so I can close it quickly if either gets upset. I'm feeling confident things will work but still nervous, too. Any suggestions? I'm trying to attach a video but having difficulty, I'll keep trying.
"Hi there, update time and need some advice." - Hi, great to her from you and sounds good.

" Things seem to be going well with them eating and getting treats on either side of the door in full view of each other." - PERFECT!!!

"It was funny the other day, Frankie had his tail sticking out under the door into Buddy's side and Buddy was quite interested, didn't run away." - Awwwwwwwwww. Usually the new cat has an easier time adjusting since they are adding to territory rather than "defending" territory. But still, fantastic!!!

" If it had been the other way around, Frankie would have definitely grabbed the tail!" - And it would depend on how, to play or to tell the other cat something.

" He is more full of beans than usual as we've got cold and snow so he's staying inside for the most part. Lots of playtime!" - Awwwwwwww. Play is always great.

"So, I'd like to move things along and not sure how." - We can do it

"I was thinking of having the door open a bit while doing the treats so I can close it quickly if either gets upset." - So no gate, door open, treat time? If they both feel confident in that area then absolutely. Then end it on a positive. It is about quality of time rather than quantity.

" I'm feeling confident things will work but still nervous, too." - Understandable. Just be as calm and confident as possible. Make sure they are hungry (so focused on the treats rather than the other cat (it is really Frankie).

"Any suggestions?" - SO when they are hungry, Frankie is a bit tired, etc.

" I'm trying to attach a video but having difficulty, I'll keep trying. " - Sounds good. I have no idea how to but hopefully you can figure it out.

Let me know if you have questions. Hopefully this makes sense. We'll just take it step by step. Make those positive associations (food) and make every encounter as positive as possible avoiding or minimizing negatives. If something negative happens watch how fast they rebound back to "normal".

Exciting. Great work!!!

Ridney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, so last night Frankie slipped through the gate...have to be so vigilant with him!! I think it was actually okay, Buddy was right there, he ran into his room and hissed at Frankie but Frankie didn't really react at all. I shooed him out quickly but he was calm and didn't go after Buddy or puff up his fur or anything. Buddy hissed but then came to me right away when I offered him a treat after I moved Frankie out and bounced back right away. An hour later I was feeding them on either side of the door and both were fine. So I feel like this is a positive for going forward. I wish Buddy wasn't so nervous but it was a shock for him to suddenly be confronted with Frankie so I think his reaction was reasonable. I realized that I'm still feeling really anxious about having them together, after it happened my heart was revving!! But Frankie's reaction was reassuring. Onward and upward :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again, so last night Frankie slipped through the gate...have to be so vigilant with him!! I think it was actually okay, Buddy was right there, he ran into his room and hissed at Frankie but Frankie didn't really react at all. I shooed him out quickly but he was calm and didn't go after Buddy or puff up his fur or anything. Buddy hissed but then came to me right away when I offered him a treat after I moved Frankie out and bounced back right away. An hour later I was feeding them on either side of the door and both were fine. So I feel like this is a positive for going forward. I wish Buddy wasn't so nervous but it was a shock for him to suddenly be confronted with Frankie so I think his reaction was reasonable. I realized that I'm still feeling really anxious about having them together, after it happened my heart was revving!! But Frankie's reaction was reassuring. Onward and upward :)
"Hi again, so last night Frankie slipped through the gate...have to be so vigilant with him!!" - Hi. Wow. Yep, they are Houdini's!!!

" I think it was actually okay, " - Good, let's see

"Buddy was right there, he ran into his room and hissed at Frankie but Frankie didn't really react at all." - Great.

" I shooed him out quickly " - Good job!!

"but he was calm and didn't go after Buddy or puff up his fur or anything." - FANTASTIC!!!!

" Buddy hissed but then came to me right away when I offered him a treat after I moved Frankie out and bounced back right away." - GREAT!!!

" An hour later I was feeding them on either side of the door and both were fine." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: AMAZING!!!! WOW!!!

"So I feel like this is a positive for going forward. " - ABSOLUTELY!!! A GREAT sign!!!

" I wish Buddy wasn't so nervous but it was a shock for him to suddenly be confronted with Frankie so I think his reaction was reasonable. " - Totally understandable and the fact he rebounded quickly AND Frankie was not aftr him is a positive. They were tested and got A+!!

" I realized that I'm still feeling really anxious about having them together, after it happened my heart was revving!! " - Understandable and totally normal. We have to take it slow but 2 months ago we would have wished for this outcome!!! :)

"But Frankie's reaction was reassuring." - ABSOLUTELY!!! This is a HUGE positive sign he is accepting and as Buddy feels that Buddy will get more trusting and confident (though he is further along than I thought which is great!!!)

" Onward and upward :) " - Keep doing what you are doing 0 Positive association, Positive encounters, the site/scent swapping (Buddy out and about when Frankie is outside). It is working!!!

Wow, I am blown away, fantastic!!! WOW!!! :)

Ridney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, it's been a long time and just wanted to let you know that perseverance has paid off! I didn't think I'd ever see this but Buddy and Frankie are finally friends! It took a long time but totally worth the effort. Thanks for all your help getting me through the beginning.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess::hyper: :clap2::cheerleader:

FANTASTIC!!!!! GREAT work with them!!!

The picture is worth a thousand words. :itslove:😍:heartshape:♥💗

THANK YOU for the update!!! And THANK YOU for all your hard work!!!!

McKittenSmitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
👏

I just read through this entire saga as I am currently struggling through introducing two far younger cats (both ~5 months old.) Your story teaches me a lot and gives me hope. Only been at it for 5 weeks, but I am absorbing the wisdom of the internets and I am so glad you have shared all of this so so that I can learn from your experiences.

Congrats! I can't wait for my little furballs to make it to the promised land...

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
👏

I just read through this entire saga as I am currently struggling through introducing two far younger cats (both ~5 months old.) Your story teaches me a lot and gives me hope. Only been at it for 5 weeks, but I am absorbing the wisdom of the internets and I am so glad you have shared all of this so so that I can learn from your experiences.

Congrats! I can't wait for my little furballs to make it to the promised land...
5 months is a good age to get them intro'd. Sounds like they should be fine.

Just make a post if you need it to get more specific advice.