Introduction of the German Longhair Cat

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you been breeding them?

What breeds have been infused, if any, to create the German Longhair?

Are there any known, at this point, genetic or health issues?

How close is your, and/or the other breeders of German Longhair, line breeding?

Are they shown, on the WCF circuit?

How do they do in LH, how do they do in AB Championship, Premier and Kitten

Any plans, if any, to get them recognized in CFA?

Have you ever shown in CFA?

Do you show yours, on the WCF circuit?

Pleasure to learn about a breed, I am not familiar with.  I show on the CFA circuit. 

p.s. I would love, to see more pictures, and what colors do they come in?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

german longhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Flint!

I tried to post more pictures, but there were copyright issues, as the cats belong to my mentor! She will register here as well though and answer all your questions :)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Lovely looking cats ! They are an old breed as well. I look forward to learning more about them :wavey:

german longhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat page is a good idea! I still have to get to know this website ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am very taken with these German Longhairs, the face is so much more to my liking than that of the Persian breed, and the fur and tail look stunning.  I agree, their history from that link is very interesting and it is a shame they became so rare.  Do you know how they managed to increase the gene pool and revive the breed?

Like FlintMcCullough, I am interested to know more about the breed, any health issues that are apparent, and plans for further recognition.  I show my neuter Russian Blue boy  under GCCF regulations in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another question, are there any breeders, of the German Longhairs, in the US?

Beautiful kitties, I would love to see one in person! 

One appears to be pointed, with the blue eyes, where does that come from, in their background, only a few breeds, have blue eyes.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lily is a point, but I wonder, is Nitika too a point?  Or rather, she seems to be a different point type??

Are there any plans to get them acknowledget in Fife too, the big european association?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This thread has been edited to remove off topic posts. Please refrain from hijacking others' threads and remain on topic, which in this case is German Longhair Cats. Thank you.

sinthari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How long have you been breeding them?

What breeds have been infused, if any, to create the German Longhair?

Are there any known, at this point, genetic or health issues?

How close is your, and/or the other breeders of German Longhair, line breeding?

Are they shown, on the WCF circuit?

How do they do in LH, how do they do in AB Championship, Premier and Kitten

Any plans, if any, to get them recognized in CFA?

Have you ever shown in CFA?

Do you show yours, on the WCF circuit?

Pleasure to learn about a breed, I am not familiar with.  I show on the CFA circuit. 

p.s. I would love, to see more pictures, and what colors do they come in?
I will try to answer your questions. I'm breeding German Longhairs (DLH) für about 5 years. Our first litter was born in 2010. Since then 8 more litters were born.

Until 2000 there was only one breeder of DLH. Mrs Aschemeier was the last DLH breeder für years. She got her first breeding cats in the late 1960ies and tried to preserve the breed like it has been. In 2005, when she was around 80, she stopped her breeding programme and gave 5 of her cats to new founded catteries. Unfortunately most of the cats didn't reproduce due to their relative higher age. Baer von der Wassermuehle, a 9 years old healthy and potent male, still lives with her and will hopefully sire 1 or 2 more litters. He has a quite high COI but sired healthy litters. This year there will be the first Baer line-bred litters.

To build up a healthy, genetically variable genepool further cats are needed to continue the Aschemeier cats' legacy and preserve the phenotypical and genotypical characteristics of the breed. So sound cats with the favored appearence and character of a German Longhair are suitable foundations. The closer they come to the standard the better. But cats of related breeds are used for outcrossing too. These are doll faced Persians of European style and British Longhair. In the cats that come from foundations there is only minimal line breeding so they bring in the needed genetic diversity.

Most of the breeders do a lot of testing (e.g. gene tests, ultrasound of heart and kidneys) before breeding a cat. So up to now there are no known health issues or genetic predispositions.

DLH can be shown on WCF shows and at shows of most of the independent clubs in Germany. The breed has got champion status. We will try to reach recognition in other orgnanisations like Fife, but it's a long way to go especially with only about a dozen active showing breeders. In Germany most of the catteries are small with 1 to 4 litters a year. But the number of breeder is constantly growing and in 2014 there will be the first litter in Austria.

My most successful cats are CH Cherimoya von Sinthari (2 x nom. BIS, got a special price) with only very limited showing and Dalchini von Sinthari. Chini was shown twice in kitten class and both times she was nom. BIS and won best of breed once.

I am very taken with these German Longhairs, the face is so much more to my liking than that of the Persian breed, and the fur and tail look stunning.  I agree, their history from that link is very interesting and it is a shame they became so rare.  Do you know how they managed to increase the gene pool and revive the breed?

Like FlintMcCullough, I am interested to know more about the breed, any health issues that are apparent, and plans for further recognition.  I show my neuter Russian Blue boy  under GCCF regulations in the UK.

Lily is a point, but I wonder, is Nitika too a point?  Or rather, she seems to be a different point type??

Are there any plans to get them acknowledget in Fife too, the big european association?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for this additional information. Most interesting.  I hope everyone is able to carry out the work necessary to preserve, and hopefully increase, the population of these stunning cats while preserving good health.  I too would love to see one 'in the fur' and be able to feel what that luscious coat is like but am sad that it seems unlikely I will have that opportunity any time soon.  I hope that we will hear more about how this work progresses here on TCS, and see more pictures of kittens are they arrive. 

sinthari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are pics of my cats

Nidi von Germangora (black mc. tabby) is a son of Baer and lived here till summer 2014. He sired two gorgeous litters and two of his daughters (Cheri and Chini) are with us here.

CH Cherimoya von Sinthari (seal tabby point):

Dalchini von Sinthari (black tortie):

All colors are allowed in DLH and the point gene was in the gene pool from the beginning. First experimental crossings of Angora x Siam were done in Germany in the 1930ies. At this time "Angora" was the umbrella term for both breeds Persian and DLH. In Europe this led to a breed called Khmer, in other regions to Colourpoint and Himalayan. The first pointed longhair cats didn't look like the Colourpoint of today. After WW II there were only very few pedigree cats left and the two longhair breeds Persian and DLH were bred again under the former common name "Angora". Until 1965 unfortunately most of the DLH were absorbed in Persian breeding programmes, but it's very likely that in this time the point gene came into the gene pool of the DLH of today.

Our newest addition is Milo (Emilio vom Heidenbrink) and he is a blue silver shaded mc.. This colour was common in the DLH of the 1930ies. We are happy to have some literature on the DLH written by Prof. Schwangart who put on the first standard of the DLH.

Quayeli von Germangora (black mc. torbie white):

sinthari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a ..... I wrote some more but now everything is lost because I put in a link.

So here are some pics of typey DLH:

Nidi von Germangora, a son of Baer (black mc. tabby male):

Quayeli von Germangora (balck mc. torbie white female)

Emilio vom Heidenbrink (blue silver shaded mc.)

Dalchini von Sinthari, daughter of Nidi (black tortie)

Cherimoya von Sinthari (seal tabby point), daughter of Nidi

Inola of Sinthari (black smoke female), daughter of Nanook von Germangora, a littermate of Nidi:

german longhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi Stefan,

Lilly is a blue point so called foundation cat and Nitika is Bär's granddaughter ;) She is black smoke and carries no point gene! I am very excited for their first litters :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi Stefan,

Nitika is Bär's granddaughter ;) She is black smoke and carries no point gene!
Interesting to learn black smokes CAN get a point-alike appearance.  I see Inola  is the same story, black smoke which seems almost to be like point on face, also darker forelegs, tail.

Good to know.

german longhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Inola is Nikas sister :) Both are only 5 months old and still carrying thair baby coat - I am very excited to see how they will look like when they are grown up :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, those are some beautiful cats! I know nothing about breeding, but wow, just stunning. Emilio and Cherimoya and Inola are my favorites. :)