Introduction of new momma and babies

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have recently taken in a momma and her four babies. The babies are about 4 weeks old. They are residing in my guest bathroom because they all currently have URIs and taking Clavamox. My vet has advised the isolation until they are all symptom free.

I already have a 10 month old male cat that has full run of the house, except for that bathroom now of course! He is hugely interested in that room and will sit and stare and meow (with an occasional hiss). He has been introduced to other adult cats before when we visited with my parents. On that visit, he had more of an issue when the door separated them then when the door finally opened and he could see what was on the other side. There was some initial hesitancy and a few hisses, but then they were all playing with toys etc... within the next few hours and went on to have a wonderful visit. (No all out cat fights at all!)

My questions are: When the momma cat and her babies are all well, do I introduce them right away? Or do I wait for the babies to get older? If so, how old should they be? Should there be an order to the introduction (like Momma then babies) or just introduce everyone all at once?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have to be honest with you on this one. I really don't have any experience in this particular situation. As far as introductions with Mama kitties and their babies I would suggest asking one of our members here that does cat rescue, they probably do this type of thing on the regular basis and are probably doing it now. I myself do rescue but I only take in abandoned kittens or females, but not both at the same time and the random ferals that pass through, but I've never had a Mama kitty and kittens. I make sure to only foster kittens or females becuase those are the type of cats that least stress my two large dominate males out. Puna and Simon don't like sharing their home, but I can't help but take in strays and ferals and rehome them to their forever homes.
But, post this for one of our rescue folks to help you out, they could give you much better detailed advice than me. I'm so sorry for not being able to help you out on this one. Good luck with finding the answer though, I will probably check back on the posts, because I'm curious to know too now.

Kerry

Originally Posted by Poohnpglet

I have recently taken in a momma and her four babies. The babies are about 4 weeks old. They are residing in my guest bathroom because they all currently have URIs and taking Clavamox. My vet has advised the isolation until they are all symptom free.

I already have a 10 month old male cat that has full run of the house, except for that bathroom now of course! He is hugely interested in that room and will sit and stare and meow (with an occasional hiss). He has been introduced to other adult cats before when we visited with my parents. On that visit, he had more of an issue when the door separated them then when the door finally opened and he could see what was on the other side. There was some initial hesitancy and a few hisses, but then they were all playing with toys etc... within the next few hours and went on to have a wonderful visit. (No all out cat fights at all!)

My questions are: When the momma cat and her babies are all well, do I introduce them right away? Or do I wait for the babies to get older? If so, how old should they be? Should there be an order to the introduction (like Momma then babies) or just introduce everyone all at once?

Thank you for any advice you can give.