introduction of kitten not done properly :(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't kick yourself, its very common to be confused because cats play fairly roughly and especially when there is a size differences and some protest noises it can be hard to be sure what is going on if you haven't seen it before. But yeah, like all predators, cats practice hunting, fight and defense behaviors in play. So you'll see play bites on the neck, which is the kill move in the wild. You'll see them rake each other with their back legs -- the classic defensive manuever when a cat is attacked in the wild. And of course stalking & pouncing. Even the wrestling is practice for fighting other cats, as there is a lot of rolling around in real cat fights. So it all looks kind of violent, but its good fun for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alyanerin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't kick yourself, its very common to be confused because cats play fairly roughly and especially when there is a size differences and some protest noises it can be hard to be sure what is going on if you haven't seen it before. But yeah, like all predators, cats practice hunting, fight and defense behaviors in play. So you'll see play bites on the neck, which is the kill move in the wild. You'll see them rake each other with their back legs -- the classic defensive manuever when a cat is attacked in the wild. And of course stalking & pouncing. Even the wrestling is practice for fighting other cats, as there is a lot of rolling around in real cat fights. So it all looks kind of violent, but its good fun for them.
Well that makes sense! Even when I play with him with my hand in a sweater (so that he wouldn't scratch me) or with a his teddy-mouse he plays rough, bites and does the thing with the back legs etc... It's only normal he would do it also when playing with another cat!
I'm glad though to have confirmation that when I hear them running around the flat at 3AM they're actually enjoying it both of them x)
EDIT: as I was writing this, Jaskier came to play with Seth while he was sleeping, so he woke him and then they started wrestled and I let them continue despite the meowing and in the end Jaskier started licking the little one XD so sweet!

Those two are very lucky they have you for their person :heartshape:
Aww thank you :D

I got one last question though! On the food part this time.
As you could see, Jaskier is getting quite big (idk why really, he gained 1kg although we've been paying close attention to the amount he eats since his last visit to the vet 4 months ago... I did give him more treats and all during the introduction though) so I definitely need to keep him from eating kitten's food. Because of this I give them food in separate rooms when it's time to eat and I don't leave the plates behind. Is there a better way? I've been told the kitten needs to eat all day not just for 30min 4-5 times a day (which is the time I leave the plates on the floor and pay attention so that Jaskier wouldn't eat kitten's food).
Maybe you have a better idea?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
in the end Jaskier started licking the little one XD so sweet!
I love this!!

For Jaskier, you'll want to weigh him at home about every couple or three weeks and keep a log, but aside from the number of his weight you'll want to pay the most attention to his actual body condition, and this chart should help;

1660166021795.png

For your little one, you might want to consider an automatic feeder that is activated by his microchip for the kibble. For his wet food you're on exactly the right path of approximately 4 feedings a day of as much as he can eat, and you may need to continue feeding in separate rooms until the baby is older than a year.

Last edited: