Introduction. HELPPPP!!!

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 existing cats, one I got at around 2 months old and then brought in the other around 6 months old. There were no issues with them being together. They are 3 now and I am trying to bring in another cat. I have followed all instructions on introductions I have found online with 0 progress. I put a baby gate and barrier up so they can see each other and interact, that’s where the progress stops. My one cat will act like the new cat is not even there, will not go near it, and therefore they are not interacting and when we tried to take down the baby gate, it went bad. I’ve tried playing by the gate, eating, petting, treats, nothing works. We restarted and are trying the baby gate again but I can still not get my cat to go near the new. What else can I do to get them interacting?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 existing cats, one I got at around 2 months old and then brought in the other around 6 months old. There were no issues with them being together. They are 3 now and I am trying to bring in another cat. I have followed all instructions on introductions I have found online with 0 progress. I put a baby gate and barrier up so they can see each other and interact, that’s where the progress stops. My one cat will act like the new cat is not even there, will not go near it, and therefore they are not interacting and when we tried to take down the baby gate, it went bad. I’ve tried playing by the gate, eating, petting, treats, nothing works. We restarted and are trying the baby gate again but I can still not get my cat to go near the new. What else can I do to get them interacting?
Did you follow the generally accepted expert protocol of isolating new cat in a room of his or her own for up to 2 weeks before doing gradual introductions? Have you looked at TCS tutorials on introducing a new cat into the family? What about Jackson Galaxy's YouTube videos?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I did all that and I’ve read the page on Jackson galaxy’s website about how he says you should introduce them and I’ve tried every step. However the step where they are supposed to interact between a baby gate, my cat won’t go near it and it’s been weeks.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I did all that and I’ve read the page on Jackson galaxy’s website about how he says you should introduce them and I’ve tried every step. However the step where they are supposed to interact between a baby gate, my cat won’t go near it and it’s been weeks.
I'm so sorry about that! Cats, though, like people, are individuals and some just take longer to accept a new family member. Keep doing all the things the experts advise. Time, patience, and love should give good results eventually. Have you tried interactive group play with a wand toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer? Play is a great defuser of stress and can increase socializing.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried swapping areas? Sometimes they need a chance to smell the other cat without them being in the same space.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not going near the gate is sometimes a problem for people that have layouts that permit avoiding it. Can you change the layout somehow? Two gates in rooms facing each other?

What exactly happened when you allowed them to mingle? What seemed bad to you may or may not have been a problem. Sometimes people expect too much -- a little hissing and growling and even a swat isn't necessarily a problem or reason to go backwards.

Also would be great to hear that time that was spent at each step, will enable us to help better.

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry about that! Cats, though, like people, are individuals and some just take longer to accept a new family member. Keep doing all the things the experts advise. Time, patience, and love should give good results eventually. Have you tried interactive group play with a wand toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer? Play is a great defuser of stress and can increase socializing.
I have tried playing but the one cat wants nothing to do with a toy if the new cat is around.

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried swapping areas? Sometimes they need a chance to smell the other cat without them being in the same space.
We have don’t that about 3 times but will definitely be doing it more to try to help a little more.

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not going near the gate is sometimes a problem for people that have layouts that permit avoiding it. Can you change the layout somehow? Two gates in rooms facing each other?

What exactly happened when you allowed them to mingle? What seemed bad to you may or may not have been a problem. Sometimes people expect too much -- a little hissing and growling and even a swat isn't necessarily a problem or reason to go backwards.

Also would be great to hear that time that was spent at each step, will enable us to help better.
Unfortunately I don’t have the layout to put two gates facing eachother. When we let them mingle they had the little “stare down” and then my resident cat started immediately chasing the new cat and trapped him under the bed hissing and growling. We spent about a week and a half no contact besides smelling under the door, we then did the room swapping, but we’re only able to do it about 3 times because I have 2 resident cats and one of them (the more aggressive one) started hissing and swatting, jumping on the other resident cat so we didn’t feel comfortable letting them in the room together and trying to keep 3 cats in separate rooms with one human trying to separate them was very difficult. then we did the pet gate for about 2 weeks now.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never followed protocol. If my cat Maggie does not see Coco but knows she's there she will not eat so I feed them side by side. When I rescued Coco she would eat in the living room then slowly day by day she got her courage up. Edit: I just read your post above so I'm not much help. Good luck! It has been over a year. Maggie still does not like Coco but will eat with her

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 That's how it is with Suha and Elvis, too. And it's been five years. But it's okay! Not every cat family is closely bonded, just like not every human family gets along together. As long as they coexist peaceably, each has his or her own favorite spots to relax, and they are enjoying eating, drinking, play, and life in general, I would say it's good.

mtessme3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 That's how it is with Suha and Elvis, too. And it's been five years. But it's okay! Not every cat family is closely bonded, just like not every human family gets along together. As long as they coexist peaceably, each has his or her own favorite spots to relax, and they are enjoying eating, drinking, play, and life in general, I would say it's good.
That’s what I’m at least hoping for. I don’t expect them to be best friends but I just don’t want them fighting. With my one cat trying to attack the new one, and the new one wanting to play all the time (he tries to wiggle his butt and pounce when the gate is there). I’m not sure if they will peacefully get along.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s what I’m at least hoping for. I don’t expect them to be best friends but I just don’t want them fighting. With my one cat trying to attack the new one, and the new one wanting to play all the time (he tries to wiggle his butt and pounce when the gate is there). I’m not sure if they will peacefully get along.
Short interactive play sessions (with you and a wand toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer) will help "new one" expend some of his energy. That's an easy one. And when he's calmer, chances are your longer-term guy will be, too.