Introducing the litter box to a feral cat

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding and loving a feral cat for a year now. She comes inside with me for a couple of hours in the evenings and snuggles with me on the sofa. She is ver comfortable with the inside of my house, and I would like to have our first "sleep over". The problem is, I am having trouble interesting her in the litter box. Last evening I placed her in the box to see what she would do and she just bolted out like lightning. I will not take a chance and have her sleep over until she knows what that box is for if she has to go. Placing her inside a spare bedroom with toys, food, water and litter box is a fine idea, except I work all day, will not leave her alone in a room by herself and she is already acclamated to the inside of my house, is a perfect angel except her understanding what the litter box is for. Please if anybody can throw some suggestions my way, I would appreciate it. Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try putting some of whatever is outside in the litterbox, dirt, sand, etc. Whatever she is likely already using. Or just go for it and put litter in the box, close her in a bathroom or laundry room and hope for the best!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always use Cat Attract litter when transitioning feral cats: http://www.chewy.com/cat/dr-elseys-precious-cat-attract-cat/dp/28978

If you don't want to keep her in during the day, but want to have your first sleep over, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't use it, and just waited to go to the bathroom until she was outside, in familiar grounds.

If she does eliminate in your home and not the box, it really isn't the worst thing in the world. Just soak up some of her pee with a paper towel, and half-bury the pee-soaked paper towel in the litter box, then clean up the spot with an enzyme cleaner and put some aluminum foil down over it until it dries. If she has a bowel movement outside the box, put it in the box, and again, clean with an enzyme cleaner. It is their natural instinct to want to cover up *especially* if they're used to going outside. Having the scent of their urine or stool IN the box is usually all it takes for it to "click" on what the box is for - if the Cat Attract litter didn't attract them to it in the first place. :rub:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the good advice.  What you say makes a lot of sense.  I can see what you are saying in that it would not be the worst thing for a first (hopefully only)  "accident" of the bm kind to happen.  Appreciate what you said!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a feral who will sometimes come inside the house.  About 3 years ago he would stay inside for hours.  I introduced him to a litter box by using Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract.  I used it straight instead of mixing it with regular litter or soil.  He took right to it.  Now 3 years later, he will still come inside for brief periods and use any of the litter boxes. 

I made sure the litter box was in plain sight too.  Not hidden away.  I placed a large sheet down on the floor and just set it in the middle of the room. 

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say also I have taken in many straY's and ferals and they always just used the box out of instinct. Even if they never came inside before they still have the instinct to dig and bury their waste amd to be clean so as long as it's an open box they tend to just go to it naturally.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks  Shadows Rescue, more good advice.  I have the litter box down a hallway in my second bathroom,  a hallway Suzie shows no interest to venture down as of yet.  I guess I had better move the box into the kitchen/living area for now.   Not an attractive place for it, but common sense is showing me that this is what I need to do for the time being. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks  Shadows Rescue, more good advice.  I have the litter box down a hallway in my second bathroom,  a hallway Suzie shows no interest to venture down as of yet.  I guess I had better move the box into the kitchen/living area for now.   Not an attractive place for it, but common sense is showing me that this is what I need to do for the time being. 

I used to bring out a special box just for Shadow.  I kept it covered ( I used a sterlite container) in my laundry room when not in use.  When Shadow wanted to come inside, I would place a blanket or sheet down and bring out the box.  After awhile he found one of the other litter boxes and was happy using that.  He rarely comes inside now, but I still keep a box for him in my laundry room just in case!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We took in an adult feral (around 8 years old) years ago and simply put potting soil in a litter box for him. He used it right away, and we gradually added increasing amounts of litter until he was using litter only.

That said, our local shelter took in 32 absolutely feral cats over a few months and they've all taken to the litter boxes. The first two weeks only non-clumping litter was put in the boxes, but within about 5 weeks they were completely switched over to clumping litter.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Potting soil, what a wonderful idea. I am getting so much good advice from my post, I am so glad I am speaking up!!! Much thanks for the input!

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I had my ferals neutered, each one of them went into a recovery crate aka dog kennel and I had a litter box set up for them in the crate.  All nine of them used the litter box for the 2 or three days that I kept them in it.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, I am getting a lot of good suggestions about the best way to introduce the litter box to a feral cat. I appreciate your input!! I am mentally storing it all