Introducing Second Litter Box?

hypatia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every since we've had our cat she only had the one litter box I bought before bringing her home. For the most part she uses the box well and there aren't any real litter box issues. But I know it's a good idea for there to be 2 litter boxes, even if it's just one cat, so I got a new one. It's the same model as her old one, but in a different color (that I liked). I put the new one where her old one used to stand (in my bedroom) and put the old one in the new location.

She's used the new litter box a couple of times (after ignoring it all morning and for the most part of the afternoon, but then she was also asleep), but only sniffed around the old box in the new location.

The problem here is that the old box is placed in a location where we didn't allow her to go before now. It's down the hallway and right next to the kitchen, the guest bathroom and a wash basin. It's the only probable location for a litter box because our apartment is small as it is (part of why I didn't get a second box sooner). I didn't (don't) think it's a problem because the litter box in the old location is her primary box and always kept clean, and this one's just for emergencies and when we are out of town.

The question is, how do I get her to use the box in the new location? It's only been a couple of days, but is there anything I should do to encourage her to use the second box?

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you just keep both boxes into the usual location? Or you want them to be separated? I have 2 in my bathroom and they use both no problem.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it, unless she is not using any litter box. It's like having two toilets in your house, you probably would just primarily use one, but if need be, like one wont flush (cat version of the box didn't get scooped before needing to go again), it's nice to have a second one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hypatia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you just keep both boxes into the usual location?
Since the usual location is my small bedroom, I can't keep them together. There just isn't any space and the boxes are large. Also, I want one outside of my bedroom so that I have the option of closing and locking my bedroom door occasionally. Right now, my cat has 24/7 access to my bedroom because she has her litter box there and I don't have a place to escape her (like I sometimes want to do when I'm having a severe migraine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hypatia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it, unless she is not using any litter box. It's like having two toilets in your house, you probably would just primarily use one, but if need be, like one wont flush (cat version of the box didn't get scooped before needing to go again), it's nice to have a second one.
I get that, but I was just... hoping for some reassurance that she would use it when needed, perhaps? Like I said, the box is placed in an area she wasn't allowed to go before. So I'm worried she won't KNOW she has another spot to pee or poop when needed - like when we are out of town or when I'm sick.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll have to carry her over and show the new location to her, maybe place her in the box. If she wasn't allowed to go there before, you have to teach her that she's allowed to go there now.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the usual location is my small bedroom, I can't keep them together. There just isn't any space and the boxes are large. Also, I want one outside of my bedroom so that I have the option of closing and locking my bedroom door occasionally. Right now, my cat has 24/7 access to my bedroom because she has her litter box there and I don't have a place to escape her (like I sometimes want to do when I'm having a severe migraine).
I think the others peoples advice is good, show her where it is and I’m sure she will start using it especially when she is locked out of the room. She’s just used to her usual spot but I’m sure she will use the other one if she needs to. Try not to stress and just see how it goes with time.