Introducing Resident Cat (one Year Old) To New Puppy - Help!

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully I caught the right forum...
I need your help! It's been awhile that I've been thinking of enlarging our family to include a dog, and one of the things making me very hesitant is our resident cat. We adopted her at 5 weeks old in October last year, so she's almost been with us for a year, and she is the sweetest! She is a very sociable cat, always wanting to play, very affectionate and quite chilled ;) She's never caused a fuss or a mess...
Now, she's never really seen the outside world (she's an inside-only cat, although she goes out on our balcony which is kitty proofed) and I have no idea how she would react to a new dog in the house... I have read of course that cats are very territorial, but that they can also happily co-exist with dogs, but I wondered if anyone had any words of advice? What's the best way of introducing them when the puppy enters the household? Any tricks for getting them to be compatible?
My boyfriend and I live together, but he works in another country every second month, and I work full time, so I am also figuring out how that would work (I've already contacted dog sitters in the area)...
Any words of advice would help! Thank you

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the dog is crate trained so that it can be in a crated at times so the cat has time where the dog is not around. Also give the cat lots of space to escape. In our house, the dog is only allowed in the living room, kitchen, and dining room. We have a dog gate in the hall that makes it so that the bedrooms other than the master bedroom are just spaces the cats can go into. The dog is crated in our room at night so our cats have the run of the house then without ever having to worry about him.

The big thing is making sure the cat is never being chased or cornered by the dog.