Introducing pre & probiotic - Miralax

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy is currently on Miralax daily. He has what I assume are chronic constipation issues due to non-treatment early in his previous home. We adopted him in July. He is approx 2 years old. He was TNR'd when he was approx 1 at a trailer park - the TNR folks realized he wasn't feral and got him into a rescue. He was adopted shortly after. He was returned after about a year to the rescue (at least they didn't dump him). We had trouble finding anything he would eat more than a few bites of and it took a week to get any poop out of him. He refused the food he was being fed at the rescue (which was the same wet food as his previous home. We finally found something he liked and have not had trouble with getting him to eat since then. He is my 6:00 (and 5:30, 5:45, etc.) alarm clock each morning.

The rescue contacted the previous home and that person admitted that Buddy had digestive issues, but they either thought that was normal, or didn't want to bother with a vet. It looks like Buddy never saw the vet while this person had him, they also "let" him outside, even though Buddy only wants to be with his people. He never wants outside! I am so glad they at least returned him to the vet. So he had constipation and bloating issues with food for about a year before we adopted him.

I finally found he would eat Weruva and Soulistic chicken and chicken and pumpkin. However even with all the juice in those, and me adding water - he still has small hard poops every 3 days or so. We introduced Miralax and that improved things, but he still went back and forth from normal stool to constipated stool, from a good stool every day to one every 2-3 days.

His fur is gorgeous and he is an active boy that loves to play. Vet found no issues. She recommended the Miralax.

Buddy also have allergies - chicken (we think, as he stopped scratching his ears when we removed the chicken) and environmental - pollen.

Buddy had an ear infection in both ears and a yeast infection in one when we adopted him mid-July. We treated him with the prescribed ear drops and it is clear and has been since then.

A coworker mentioned her new rescue pup was having yeast infection issues, itching and digestive issues. She started her pup on a pre/probiotic and her pup is great now - no more yeast, no more digestive and the allergies has lessened greatly.

Buddy's food is canned only - he hates dry anything. He is eating Instinct LID rabbit & Meaty Mates Lamb. I give him Soulistic Lamb & Tuna for a treat and have introduced Lotus Venison in the mix. I don't want to feed him the same exact food with no variety.

Here is the question: I have started Buddy on Fera pro+prebiotics - 1/2 of the cat dose, a bit in each meal. Should I stop the Miralax, continue it, but cut it down to an even smaller dose, etc. What do y'allt think? I have emailed their support to see what they say. No response yet (but it is the weekend).

I also bought Tummyworks Powder (pre+probiotics) in case he didn't like the Fera, or if he has issues with it. Should I stick with one, or rotate? He is good with either mixed into his food.

He had a great poop yesterday!

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey! That was a very informative post thanks..

My vet says that you keep using the Miralax until the poo is so soft that it doesn't hold form (diahera or borderline so), then cut back.

The miralax should not impede his ability to have probiotics as the Miralax is just carrying water to the colon.

On the flip side since he's had this issue so long, he's at risk for Megacolon. So my vet says it's best to have a cat be at risk of diahera for a day or two that we can control over Megacolon.

We just use Flotiflora. After about 6 months we've been able to cut down from 1/4 tsp twice a day to 1/8 tsp every other day.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say if you want to try cutting back on the Miralax, or stopping it all together, just keep a close eye on Buddy and if he stops pooping regularly, add it back in.

As to the pre/probiotics, I don't think it matters if you rotate them. But why are you only giving 1/2 a cat dose? Are you working up to a full dose? I've given Fera before and worked up to a full dose for my guys, only because they wouldn't accept a full dose in the beginning because they are both so darned picky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all! I am starting at 1/2 dose to make sure he doesn't have a bad reaction. I know it's rare but I'd rather be safe. I will lower his Miralax dose and see how he does.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI - I emailed both Fera and TummyWorks this weekend. I received a reply from TummyWorks early this morning:

"You are giving him the best starting dose - about 1/2 the normal cat dose and can increase this to the recommended dose over the next few days.

It is OK to continue giving Miralax for a few days and I would recommend gradually reducing the dose, instead of suddenly stopping. He should not need Miralax as TummyWorks adds the "Good Bacteria" that will help his digestive issues. It will also help to balance his body for the seasonal pollen."

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And here is what FERA said:

We do not recommend stopping the Miralax, it is completely safe to give them together.

Our Probiotics also help with itching and scratching caused by allergies.

You can continue with half the recommended dose and if you don't see any adverse reactions, you can start giving the full recommended dose.

I think I will watch his poops for a while and then taper down the Miralax slowly.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say if you want to try cutting back on the Miralax, or stopping it all together, just keep a close eye on Buddy and if he stops pooping regularly, add it back in.

As to the pre/probiotics, I don't think it matters if you rotate them. But why are you only giving 1/2 a cat dose? Are you working up to a full dose? I've given Fera before and worked up to a full dose for my guys, only because they wouldn't accept a full dose in the beginning because they are both so darned picky.
I use nutramax Proviable-DC. My cats get 1/2 a capsule each morning. One of my cats is sensitive, if she gets a full cap she gets diarrhea. I think it depends on the cat.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Buddy and probiotics. I am using the Tummyworks. The FERA has Saccharomyces Boulardii in it. I have read in several articles that it is best not to use this for constipation uses. He is doing great! Good quality poop each day. It has now been a week. I started at 1/2 the normal dosage and 1/2 the Miralax dosage I had him at. I started today at the full probiotics dosage and tomorrow I am going to reduce the Miralax further and see how he does.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! I have Buddy totally off Miralax and on the normal cat dosage for TummyWorks. I have noticed his eye boogers have subsided almost to nothing as well, and he has a lot more energy (if that is possible). This made me want to try probiotics for myself as well. I have always had issues with probiotics. I did some reading and I found a low histamine brand and version to try and it is helping me as well - better digestion, better sleep, allergies not quite as bad, arthritis in my hands not bothering me quite as much with drastic weather changes. Some people can't tolerate some of the probiotic forms - I guess I am one of them. Thanks Buddy! I wouldn't have thought to try probiotics again if not for seeing how well he is doing on them.