Introducing Our New Kitten!

1st time cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just picked up our 1st kitten! We have never owned a cat before so it is all new to us. I have a question about breed. We were told she is Siamese and Tabby. I just learned Tabby is not actually a breed. Do you know what breed she may be? I was also wondering how big she'll be full grown. She is currently 6 weeks old and 1lb, 1oz.
FB_IMG_1548217888850.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s adorable! You’re right; tabby is a coat marking, not a breed in itself. I don’t see any Siamese in this cute little one; Siamese are colorpointed cats, meaning that they are born white and then develop coloring on the cooler parts of their body (partial albinism). I would describe your kitten as a brown tabby Domestic Shorthair. If you post a sideview picture of her, we can tell you what exact tabby pattern she has (classic, spotted, mackeral, or broken mackeral).

EDIT: Since this is your first kitty (congratulations, by the way!), I’d like to attach a helpful article: First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Please feel free to start a thread if you have any other questions! :D

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable! When they said she was "Siamese and tabby," they might have been referring to the color of the parents... perhaps one parent is pointed in color, and the other parent is tabby in color. Most cats aren't any particular breed, so we call them domestic shorthairs or domestic longhairs.

It's difficult to predict from a kitten's size how big a cat will get, because different cats grow at different rates. If she's only 6 weeks old, that's pretty young to leave mom... was there a reason she had to leave her mom and litter mates so early?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1st time cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw her mom for a moment before she ran off. She was white with a couple dark patches .

1st time cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't really look that close because I didn't know it was her mom until the lasy told me and by then she already ran off. The lady we got her from said the mom was Siamese and that the baby got her tabby color from the dad. She said he hoped the kitten would keepthe blue eyes that the mom has. I know nothing about pointed cats to know if they have blue eyes too.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese have a distinct personality. I guess you can see if she has any of those traits. She is a super cutie!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pointed cats have blue eyes, but that goes along with the pointed color. Your kitten's eyes won't be blue when she matures; they might turn out to be green, yellow, gold or orange.

1st time cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I didn't think they'd be blue anyway because they are already looking green instead of blue.

1st time cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would go along with that too except the mama was the one who looked Siamese or pointed and the dad was the Tabby cat. The mom looked so different than the kittens. Aparently they all looked like the dad.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would go along with that too except the mama was the one who looked Siamese or pointed and the dad was the Tabby cat. The mom looked so different than the kittens. Aparently they all looked like the dad.
Yep, colorpointing is recessive, so it makes sense that they all take after dad. :)