Introducing new kittens to resident cat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a totally natural thing to want to help them get all the way. Years ago, the wife and I didn't know what we were doing and tried to each hold a cat at one end of the hallway, pet and give treats. Which is totally useless and can never work. Because either there is still stress, and they won't take the treats or appreciate the petting or they are far enough along that they should be allowed to go sniff and work things out. As far as I know, there is just nothing anyone can do that will get them the last mile; they need to do that.

Its like raising a teenager. At a certain point, you need to send them off to college even though you know there is probably more stupid **** that will be done. You do the best you can, and then they need to spread their wings . . . and trip and fall a few (more) times.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the book Cat vs Cat by Pam johnson bennet it has loads of great info that could help. You don't want things to escalate, ever. Cats tend to remember things and hold on to that anger, that's where redirection with a distraction helps. It can stop them from holding on to that "you swatted at me so now I need to half kill you". If your not already, start doing wand toy play with all the cats, make sure all the cats are fed in the room or at least can see each other as well. Basically you want them to view each other as a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check out the book Cat vs Cat by Pam johnson bennet it has loads of great info that could help. You don't want things to escalate, ever. Cats tend to remember things and hold on to that anger, that's where redirection with a distraction helps. It can stop them from holding on to that "you swatted at me so now I need to half kill you". If your not already, start doing wand toy play with all the cats, make sure all the cats are fed in the room or at least can see each other as well. Basically you want them to view each other as a good thing.
Hi,

I'm still doing that process.

I agree with you regarding the positive association. I'm not sure why there was an escalation today when an hour before, it was fine with the other kitten.

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Thank you for your excellent advice. I have a positive yet puzzling update.

We are now feeding all cats 'semi-supervised'. This means I put the food down and go off but keep an eye out from the kitchen. This has been going well apart from one incident, which I will mention.

All three of them now play for ages in the room and are engaged in the toys.

We've also allowed some free roaming today. This went well too apart from one issue - which I will outline below.

So the issue now is Ferius winding up Buffy. During semi supervised feed yesterday, Ferius 'stalked' Buffy then snuck up behind her grabbed her tail at the base with both paws! Buffy gave her a hiss and slap down and carried on eating.

Then today during free roaming, Buffy was totally chilled and lying down. Ferius got into a pounce position. Buffy came up to her hissing. Ferius ran so Buffy redirected the hiss and slap to Kellen, who wasn't even doing anything to alienate Buffy.

Then after 5pm feed, Buffy left to go upstairs and groom. Ferius followed her and engaged in a staredown. Buffy gave her a hiss and slap. After I clapped at them, Buffy went off. Ferius got up and went to challenge Buffy again!! She got another hiss and slap!

Not sure why Ferius is winding Buffy up. Buffy is at a place now where she tolerates them unless they touch her or challenge her.

Can you shed any light on this?

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks for your reassurance over the last few weeks.

This weekend, the kittens would have been with us five weeks.

We're going to allow them to roam during the day starting from Saturday.

I'm nervous!!!

Wish me luck.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have a multi cat household and foster kittens once in a while ( and are currently awaiting a new Ragdoll baby to join us this weekend lol ) ... my experience is that kittens get adult cats into play mode ... and even cats that love and care for each other sometimes lay too rough or have a spat ... as long as they can get away from each other ... they will be fine ... lock a bunch of humans into a room and you'll eventually have a conflict or two ... usually that is quite harmless ... same with cats .. even hissing, spitting or a yelp happens in the best of friendships ... I have two sisters who love to snuggle and are exceptionally close but ... on rare occasions - someone is getting the " I need to annoy my sister until she hisses" bug ... one usually escapes under the bed and all is well in a few minutes ... my adult cats usually don't get too rough with kittens unless the babies are REALLY annoying them ... they do however discipline them which can look a bit mean to us humans ... it is very affective though and ensures a good long term relationship- if kitten comes back for more ... it wasn't animosity ... I keep kittens in their bathroom retreat for a few days before I let them meet ... if nobody freaks out beyond a few hisses I let both parties explore the others space - it takes at least a month or two until I let them sleep together in the same space ... but there are exceptions ... some kittens just integrate right away and when the cats start crying for each other ... whom am I to tell them that they are not " in that stage yet" lol ... play it by ear ... some cats simply don't like each other - some will become very close... both should be ok ... I find it fascinating to watch cats interact ... they all are their very own characters - better than TV ..

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear fellow cat guardians,

I want to say a huge thank you for all your support and help.

We have been free roaming this weekend - and it's been great!

Buffy and Ferius have found their equilibrium.

They're still learning about each other - but it's going to be a positive journey.

I'm so grateful for your time and advice.

Thank you!