introducing new cats

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there
Got a little problem here. My wife and I 8 years ago rescued a run from a little. he was small and his brothers/sisters were pushing him around and not allowing him enough food. we have always been Cat people. so we said we would take him. He is still small but totally enjoyable. he has made our home his home. the problem is. My mother-in-law got an Older cat 3 years ago. and can no longer take care of him. he is a sweet Cat and at times very shy. He has also been diagnosed with Mega-esophagus( sorry I know I spelled it wrong) so he needs special care. He had 2 options either we take him, or we have to surrender him to the pound. OUR cat seems to really not be happy with his new roommate. but no fighting. just a little growling and a huge puffy tail.

Is there any way I can get them to behave? they both stare. but the new cat ( ziggy) seems to be ok with the house. Butter OUR cat seems to be taking offense. we have separated them for the first 4 days. but ziggy wants out. any help?
Butters is on the left 8 years old and 8 lbs
Ziggy is on the right 12 years old and 12 lbs
I could use some help here

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Butters and Ziggy are beautiful. LLoydE LLoydE .:blush:

Have you tried doing a step by step 'cat-to-cat introduction' process'?
This Article is from the Cat Site: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Can you set up baby gates...or this type of DIY shelf divider:
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

This is what I suggest doing:
Try doing the cat intros using the 5 Senses method....But spending at least a week, (or more if needed), on each Stage/Step.
  1. Hearing ...where the cats can hear each other, but not see each other.
  2. then Scent....and especially the 'swapping the scents, mingling the scents' and 'allowing all the new cat's scents to be all over the home'...so much so...that your resident cat will recognize and accept the new cat as part of their territory. This is the part where "Scent swaps" and "Room Swaps" are practiced to get both cats' scents everywhere.
  3. Visual is next, but you are still doing Scent Exchange, and rewarding any good interactions with treats/food/praise.
  4. Taste is using food and treats to make positive associations and encourage more Acceptance. Placing food bowls on opposite sides of a gate, marking the floor with tape, and then trying to get the cats closer and closer to each other...but still with a barrier gate...between them. Also using Play...with both cats...to get them more relaxed, and burn off energy.
  5. Finally, Touch,...is when you've observed that your resident cat is no longer bothered by the smells, or sight of the new cat,...and you've noticed a huge decrease in your resident cat's fear responses. This part is where you let the cats finally meet, face to face...without any gate. (Can also raise the gate slightly, and safely on books, or wood, to allow both cats to play with their paws...to touch one another.)
OUR cat seems to really not be happy with his new roommate. but no fighting. just a little growling and a huge puffy tail.

Is there any way I can get them to behave? they both stare. but the new cat ( ziggy) seems to be ok with the house. Butter OUR cat seems to be taking offense. we have separated them for the first 4 days. but ziggy wants out. any help?
If this is only 4 days...then your cats are doing awesome.
Growling and hissing...are to be expected...and just the way cats communicate to one another...that they don't want the other one, to approach.
Best way to introduce the cats,...is with the formal cat intro methods above.
It lessens each cat's fear responses.

Usually it takes about a month, or many months,... for the Resident cat to accept a new cat.
In your case I think that it will go much quicker...since no fights have happened.

Also the Resident cat needs time...to make sure that the 'new cat' in his territory....will not steal all his resources, food, water, litter box. Basically, he just needs time to make sure new cat..is not a threat.
Build up both cats' Confidence...using Play, cat toys, safe rooms...to rest in and relax.

Check out Jackson Galaxy's method, on youtube, for cat to cat intros...as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that cat nap cat nap covered all, so I'll just repeat...for four days in, these cats are really doing very well! Read that article, and follow those steps, and they will be fine. You cannot always expect cats to become best buds, but you can almost always expect peaceful coexistence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks to all of you for the help.
I want to keep you all updated. both Butters and Ziggy are now sharing a floor. but Ziggy seems to be enjoying the exploring. Butters has claimed a high spot so he can watch. still with the pipe cleaner tail. and now the odd growling. I kept them apart at night. only for my wife and I to get some sleep. But last night. Ziggy did not want to be locked up and it was a long night with me in the bedroom with him. so far today. there is no locked door ( other than my shop and only I got there) Both cats have seemed to be getting better. but they don't like to be close. you all have said the same thing I am thinking. it is only 4 days. so maybe tonight Ziggy does not get locked up. I would like to give treats to Ziggy but with the health problem ( he can only eat a slurry of can cat food.) I am feeding them both at the same time. so nobody gets to be a favorite.
I was wondering if it is normal for Ziggy to go to each place that is Butters's place? My wife seems to think he is trying to claim it for himself?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if it is normal for Ziggy to go to each place that is Butters's place? My wife seems to think he is trying to claim it for himself?
Yes, that its entirely normal, for a cat to go around and sniff each of the spots, that another cat has been.
And your wife is right, Ziggy is trying to claim the spots...by leaving his 'own Scent'...at these spots,...by cheek rubbing, leaving a scent with his paws, or body.
Ziggy could also be trying to 'get to know' the Resident cat...and getting accustomed to Butters Scent.

If you have cat blankets, or cat beds, different cat toys,...then try to get one of the cat's Scent on them...and take this fabric item, and place it next to the opposite cat.
For example, take one item...that Ziggy uses...and place it beside Butters.
Watch what they do. If they sniff the items.

Some people use t-shirt, or socks,...and rub one cat with it...to Scent soak the item...and then leave it by the food dish...of the other cat.
So that the cat gets to smell the other cat through the cloth...and at the same time...is eating something they like.

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is a great site. I want to keep all of you updated. Butters and Ziggy are sharing the town house. Ziggy walks around like he owns the place. Butters no longer hisses but seems to be always watching. Now I do need some more advice. Ziggy because of his mega esophagus. has to be on a special diet. no hard food , Butter has been brought up with the hard food. so we are trying to find a way to feed both Cats. the slurry that I make for ziggy. Butters wont touch. ( good thing) but Ziggy still wants to eat Butters food. that the vet says not to give him. could it be that we are going to have to feed them in different room with the door closed? I got them on a feeding schedule. morning and 5 pm and then a midnight snack. All in different rooms.

anybody got ideas? how I can take away butters food from Ziggy

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
this is a great site. I want to keep all of you updated.
Thanks so much LLoydE LLoydE ...it really is a great site. :thumbsup:
Butters and Ziggy are sharing the town house. Ziggy walks around like he owns the place. Butters no longer hisses but seems to be always watching.
Well that went well. :)
And super fast. :lol:
Ziggy being the senior...is okay to 'walk around like he owns the place'. :clover:

As long as Butters feels 'safe'....on some high perches, or high shelves...then it's really good that he's watching where Ziggy goes and what Ziggy does. :catrub::bluecat:
Now I do need some more advice. Ziggy because of his mega esophagus. has to be on a special diet. no hard food , Butter has been brought up with the hard food. so we are trying to find a way to feed both Cats. the slurry that I make for ziggy. Butters wont touch. ( good thing) but Ziggy still wants to eat Butters food. that the vet says not to give him. could it be that we are going to have to feed them in different room with the door closed? I got them on a feeding schedule. morning and 5 pm and then a midnight snack. All in different rooms.

anybody got ideas? how I can take away butters food from Ziggy
This question...I'm not too good at answering...since I'm not that great in the Nutrition part of cats.
You will get better ideas...if you post the above question...(just copy and paste it...with a good title)...in "Nutrition" section..:Cat Nutrition

I think you're right...and you will have to feed both cats in different rooms,...with the door closed.🤔

(One member did buy herself a 'microchip or rfid...activated cat door/flap'...and placed it in a long and tall clear looking tote box...with holes on top and sides for air circulation. So her one cat could enter with a rfid collar tag...but the other cat could not.
Sounded good...but don't know how well it worked...since I didn't read an update.
I would not be able to afford it, though. It's too expensive for me.
It looked similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-Microchip-Cat-Door-White/dp/B003EGIM3O

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was my thought, or you could place the flap in a door, say to the bathroom, for your "problem child" to come and go and eat his slurry without being disturbed.

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update. still having issues with the food. but both cats are no brothers. It is unreal how both of them have become friends. I posted a pic to show you how both of them are. At times I want them to separate. just for my sake. I have a small bed. and now even smaller a wife 2 cats and me. the funny thing. both cats will watch us before we go to bed and as soon as we turn the tv off.. they will run for the bed. the food is still lock one cat in a room and wait for him to finish. the other cat has to eat same time. not like the other times when he could eat when ever he felt like it

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update. still having issues with the food. but both cats are no brothers. It is unreal how both of them have become friends. I posted a pic to show you how both of them are.
Oh, wow, LLoydE LLoydE ,...both Ziggy and Butters have amazingly handsome facial markings.:)
I can't even tell the size differences, from the photos.

They do look so relaxed, and comfortable, taking over the chairs. :cloud9:
Yup, anyone can tell these cats have very caring cat guardians. :thumbsup:
...At times I want them to separate. just for my sake. I have a small bed. and now even smaller a wife 2 cats and me. the funny thing. both cats will watch us before we go to bed and as soon as we turn the tv off.. they will run for the bed.
This is hilarious. :lol:
The part of having an 'even smaller bed'....
but also the part of 'both cats watching you both'...and running off to the bed...before you even arrive. :crackup:
I can just picture it, like you described it.

Oh, well, I guess it's 'first come, first served' as they say....and at your home, whoever reaches the bed first...gets to stay. :lol:
hahaha...That is just adorable, if you ask me.
You have some very, very, smart cats, with you there.
Maybe tv off...means 'go and get bed warm'...for the humans. :blush:
the food is still lock one cat in a room and wait for him to finish. the other cat has to eat same time. not like the other times when he could eat when ever he felt like it
Yeah, I think that is the best way, to go about feeding them,...even if it does mean that Butters has to eat at the same time.
Butters sounds very smart, so he will learn quick.

What you both did, by taking in your mother-in-law's cat, Ziggy, is truly wonderful and kind. :greenpaw::bluepaw::clover:
Bless you both, for saving his life. :touched:
People like you both, set good examples for others to follow,...since your actions speak louder than words. :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My only advice, and it won't really work, is...buy a bigger bed. I had a king-size bed (now a queen), and now, my bed allowance is about 28 inches on the far right of the bed. If I stray off of my allotted portion of the bed, my ONE cat lies on her side, and pushes with all four paws (and claws) until I hunch myself back onto "my place." LOL, when I had the king, my strip of bed was in the middle, and she got BOTH sides!