Introducing new cats

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but they eat the same food - It's the RX Purina EN, which is a bland diet.

Yes, but a huge concern that I have is feeding Duncan. Because he eats so little, I've always had to leave his food out, so he can graze throughout the day. Feeding him 2 or 3 times a day isn't really something I can do. So how in the world do I keep Indy out of his food bowl when I head back to work?
Sorry, I never saw this. :(

"Yes, but they eat the same food - It's the RX Purina EN, which is a bland diet." - Great. That will make it a lot easier.

"Yes, but a huge concern that I have is feeding Duncan." - Understandably but the fact they eat the same food makes it a lot easier.

" Because he eats so little, I've always had to leave his food out, so he can graze throughout the day. Feeding him 2 or 3 times a day isn't really something I can do." - I don't think you'll have to.

"So how in the world do I keep Indy out of his food bowl when I head back to work?" - I would do a couple of things. I would feed Indy a bit more food in his morning feeding. Then on the free feeding I would just add extra food so that Duncan will have access to it even if Indy eats a bunch. Indy at first will probably overeat but in time he will realize the food is always there and the urgency will diminish (someone on here is facing this same issue for the most part). The fact they eat the same food makes it much easier and I honestly wouldn't worry about that. It will work out. We'll figure it out.

Was Indy out any of the night so far? And if so, how did it work out?

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"So how in the world do I keep Indy out of his food bowl when I head back to work?" - I would do a couple of things. I would feed Indy a bit more food in his morning feeding. Then on the free feeding I would just add extra food so that Duncan will have access to it even if Indy eats a bunch."
I'm concerned about Indy gaining weight because he's so obsessed with food. I can try adding more to his morning and evening meals.
Right now, I give him 3/4 of a cup, which is already more than he's supposed to have, according to the back of the bag.

Was Indy out any of the night so far? And if so, how did it work out?
He's out all day, except when I have to leave. At night, he's been sleeping in the house. Duncan has stayed in the bedroom with me. I usually get up once a night or so, so Duncan follows me out. Indy usually tries to start trouble with him, so I pick him up and bring him back to bed with me. I guess this started Friday night.

I took another nap after class yesterday. When I woke up, but cats were sleeping on the bed with me - Indy at the foot of the bed, Duncan snuggled in right next to me. I have no idea how long Duncan was up there, but Indy jumped up there almost right away. I would assume Duncan did as well, as he can never resist napping with me. Clearly, they had no issues...or I was just that exhausted from class!

So this (photo) happened shortly after our nap Saturday...
Don't get too excited, though. Duncan just tried to curl up on the sofa again, and Indy pounced. lol One step forward and back.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned about Indy gaining weight because he's so obsessed with food. I can try adding more to his morning and evening meals.
Right now, I give him 3/4 of a cup, which is already more than he's supposed to have, according to the back of the bag.

He's out all day, except when I have to leave. At night, he's been sleeping in the house. Duncan has stayed in the bedroom with me. I usually get up once a night or so, so Duncan follows me out. Indy usually tries to start trouble with him, so I pick him up and bring him back to bed with me. I guess this started Friday night.

I took another nap after class yesterday. When I woke up, but cats were sleeping on the bed with me - Indy at the foot of the bed, Duncan snuggled in right next to me. I have no idea how long Duncan was up there, but Indy jumped up there almost right away. I would assume Duncan did as well, as he can never resist napping with me. Clearly, they had no issues...or I was just that exhausted from class!

So this (photo) happened shortly after our nap Saturday...
Don't get too excited, though. Duncan just tried to curl up on the sofa again, and Indy pounced. lol One step forward and back.
"I'm concerned about Indy gaining weight because he's so obsessed with food." - Totally agree, I am as well. Sometimes we see a cat knowing there is access the lessen the urgency of eating everything available. We will need to watch it but I am thinking the novelty might wear off for him but at first we will see some overeating.

"I can try adding more to his morning and evening meals." - When you go back to work that is a good idea I think.

"Right now, I give him 3/4 of a cup, which is already more than he's supposed to have, according to the back of the bag." - How is his weight? Since he is young and active he may be burning off more now.

"He's out all day, except when I have to leave. At night, he's been sleeping in the house. Duncan has stayed in the bedroom with me. I usually get up once a night or so, so Duncan follows me out. Indy usually tries to start trouble with him, so I pick him up and bring him back to bed with me. I guess this started Friday night." - Wow, that is great.

"I took another nap after class yesterday. When I woke up, but cats were sleeping on the bed with me - Indy at the foot of the bed, Duncan snuggled in right next to me. I have no idea how long Duncan was up there, but Indy jumped up there almost right away. I would assume Duncan did as well, as he can never resist napping with me. Clearly, they had no issues...or I was just that exhausted from class!" - AWESOME!!! THAT is acceptance. You were probably exhausted but if there were issues you would have known. Indy's issues are all about wanting to play and I think Duncan knows it. IF Duncan jumped up there with Indy already there that would tell us so much. Regardless, they are just fine.

OH MY GOODNESS that pic is ADORABLE!!! Well, that pic tells it all really. If they had issues there is no way that pic would be taken. THAT is trust. Indy gets excited and wants to play with his brother. Big brother doesn't want to. Indy keeps trying but eventually will get it (or Duncan will start playing).

I have to admit, I am excited about that pic. The fact it happens at all tells us everything.

I know it doesn't feel like it but this happened faster than I imagined. You have done an amazing job with them!!

I am more convinced Duncan's issues the other day after eating were an aberration. Sometimes the timing is bad and that happens. IF there really was an issue they would not be acting like this. Reinforces the view Indy does not mean any harm (nor does Duncan).

I have to say, Duncan and Indy are just gorgeous, adorable!! That pic is off the charts cute!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Right now, I give him 3/4 of a cup, which is already more than he's supposed to have, according to the back of the bag." - How is his weight? Since he is young and active he may be burning off more now.
He's gained a couple pounds since he's been here. I think he's at 11# now.

"I took another nap after class yesterday. When I woke up, but cats were sleeping on the bed with me - Indy at the foot of the bed, Duncan snuggled in right next to me. I have no idea how long Duncan was up there, but Indy jumped up there almost right away. I would assume Duncan did as well, as he can never resist napping with me. Clearly, they had no issues...or I was just that exhausted from class!" - AWESOME!!! THAT is acceptance. You were probably exhausted but if there were issues you would have known. Indy's issues are all about wanting to play and I think Duncan knows it. IF Duncan jumped up there with Indy already there that would tell us so much. Regardless, they are just fine.
Duncan definitely jumped up there after Indy.

OH MY GOODNESS that pic is ADORABLE!!!
It gets better! I just took 3 more pictures. The first two, Duncan had been lying on the chair when Indy hopped up. There was no hissing or growling. In fact, Duncan kept on sleeping.
After sitting on top a while, Indy yawned a huge yawn and laid down.

THEN! Duncan eventually stood up, arched his back to stretch. Indy just watched him, and Duncan hopped down. After wandering into the bedroom and back, Duncan jumped back up on the chair, even though Indy was still up there. That's pic #3. After a couple minutes of standing there looking out the window, Duncan curled up on the arm of the chair. Indy continued to lie there.

I have to say, Duncan and Indy are just gorgeous, adorable!! That pic is off the charts cute!!
:) Thank you!

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gained a couple pounds since he's been here. I think he's at 11# now.

Duncan definitely jumped up there after Indy.

It gets better! I just took 3 more pictures. The first two, Duncan had been lying on the chair when Indy hopped up. There was no hissing or growling. In fact, Duncan kept on sleeping.
After sitting on top a while, Indy yawned a huge yawn and laid down.

THEN! Duncan eventually stood up, arched his back to stretch. Indy just watched him, and Duncan hopped down. After wandering into the bedroom and back, Duncan jumped back up on the chair, even though Indy was still up there. That's pic #3. After a couple minutes of standing there looking out the window, Duncan curled up on the arm of the chair. Indy continued to lie there.

:) Thank you!
"He's gained a couple pounds since he's been here. I think he's at 11# now." - Ok, we'll have to monitor it but I think it will be fine.

"Duncan definitely jumped up there after Indy." - WOW, GREAT!!! THAT is a sign of trust, confidence. Fantastic.

"It gets better! I just took 3 more pictures." - WOW!!! Those pics are AMAZING!!! The body language is amazing. They look like cats that have lived with each other for years.

"The first two, Duncan had been lying on the chair when Indy hopped up. There was no hissing or growling." - Amazing. Duncan trusts.

"In fact, Duncan kept on sleeping." - Fantastic!! An amazing amount of trust.

"After sitting on top a while, Indy yawned a huge yawn and laid down." - Awwww, I just love this. He is near his friend but focused on what is outside. LOVE IT!!!

"THEN! Duncan eventually stood up, arched his back to stretch. Indy just watched him, and Duncan hopped down. After wandering into the bedroom and back, Duncan jumped back up on the chair, even though Indy was still up there. That's pic #3. After a couple minutes of standing there looking out the window, Duncan curled up on the arm of the chair. Indy continued to lie there." - I have the BIGGEST SMILE on my face right now!!! Duncan feels confident enough to jump back up AND Indy has no issue. I LOVE that they are looking out of the window together. The body language looks so great.

I just love your cats. They are so gorgeous!!! Those pics are not only amazing on the behavior but they are just such ADORABLE cats!!

What a great way to start a new week!!!

GREAT JOB!!! I am so proud of you and Indy and especially Duncan. Indy really should be an Ambassador. He has the skills!!! :)

pam10144

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is giving me hope that my two will eventually learn to live together!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is giving me hope that my two will eventually learn to live together!
Best of luck to you!

As you can see, it's been quite a process with lots of ups and downs. I think we're finally turning a corner, though.
With that said, I did just put Indy back in the bathroom for a bit, since he was being a pistol to Duncan. Duncan was peacefully sleeping on the couch, when Indy pounced. There was a lot of screaming. When I got out there and picked Duncan up, chunks of his fur were falling to the ground. :(

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best of luck to you!

As you can see, it's been quite a process with lots of ups and downs. I think we're finally turning a corner, though.
With that said, I did just put Indy back in the bathroom for a bit, since he was being a pistol to Duncan. Duncan was peacefully sleeping on the couch, when Indy pounced. There was a lot of screaming. When I got out there and picked Duncan up, chunks of his fur were falling to the ground. :(
"I think we're finally turning a corner, though." - You are well down the path. :)

"With that said, I did just put Indy back in the bathroom for a bit, since he was being a pistol to Duncan. Duncan was peacefully sleeping on the couch, when Indy pounced." - Indy wanted to play. :/ Too much energy.

"There was a lot of screaming." - Yeah, he caught Duncan off guard. :/

" When I got out there and picked Duncan up, chunks of his fur were falling to the ground." - :/

How did Duncan act after that?

In multi-cat households this happens a fair amount. One wants to play or groom the other and the other one wants to be left alone/not bothered and they get into a tussle. :/ But with a strong base of trust they get over it. It is like siblings or spouses, we have our moments but we still love each other and get over it (fairly) quickly typically.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put Indy in the bathroom right away. I picked Duncan up, put him back on the couch, and he feel right back to sleep.
"he feel right back to sleep." - Perfect!!! :clap2: That tells us Duncan didn't think it was a big deal. Annoying, sure, but no bad intent. That is great. :yess:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good Thursday morning!

I wanted to catch you up on how things have been going.

Long story short - Indy is still being a pest for periods of time (I thought the novelty would've worn off by now), but he goes much longer periods of leaving Duncan alone, playing on his own, or sleeping.

When I left for class yesterday, once I got the house all locked up, I realized I'd forgotten to put Indy in the bathroom. I decided to chance it. When I got home, Indy was still sleeping on my bed, and Duncan was sleeping on a pillow on the living room sofa. :cheerleader:

At night, I sleep with the bedroom door closed, and Duncan sleeps in the room with me. Indy has the house to himself. I would be happy to leave the door open for him, but when I've tried, he becomes super rambunctious and goes after Duncan. If I get up during the night, he will immediately head to the bedroom to cause trouble.
In the morning, when I open the door, he's sitting right on the other side, ready to pounce on Duncan. The growling and hissing start immediately. This morning, Indy relentlessly pestered Duncan for 45 minutes. I finally just put him in the bathroom to cool down. Duncan seems okay. He's come back into the bedroom a few times for head scratches, and then he heads back out. I think he enjoys the peace and quiet and getting the house all to himself.

Indy has got to settle down. He has to, or I just don't see how this can work long term. It's not fair to Duncan to constantly have to be fighting him off and teaching him lessons that he doesn't seem to be getting.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Thursday morning!

I wanted to catch you up on how things have been going.

Long story short - Indy is still being a pest for periods of time (I thought the novelty would've worn off by now), but he goes much longer periods of leaving Duncan alone, playing on his own, or sleeping.

When I left for class yesterday, once I got the house all locked up, I realized I'd forgotten to put Indy in the bathroom. I decided to chance it. When I got home, Indy was still sleeping on my bed, and Duncan was sleeping on a pillow on the living room sofa. :cheerleader:

At night, I sleep with the bedroom door closed, and Duncan sleeps in the room with me. Indy has the house to himself. I would be happy to leave the door open for him, but when I've tried, he becomes super rambunctious and goes after Duncan. If I get up during the night, he will immediately head to the bedroom to cause trouble.
In the morning, when I open the door, he's sitting right on the other side, ready to pounce on Duncan. The growling and hissing start immediately. This morning, Indy relentlessly pestered Duncan for 45 minutes. I finally just put him in the bathroom to cool down. Duncan seems okay. He's come back into the bedroom a few times for head scratches, and then he heads back out. I think he enjoys the peace and quiet and getting the house all to himself.

Indy has got to settle down. He has to, or I just don't see how this can work long term. It's not fair to Duncan to constantly have to be fighting him off and teaching him lessons that he doesn't seem to be getting.
Good morning!! :)

"I wanted to catch you up on how things have been going." - Great

"Long story short - Indy is still being a pest for periods of time" - Yep, not surprising. He loves Duncan and wants to play.

" (I thought the novelty would've worn off by now)" - Well, is it wearing off a little? I don't expect it to be gone but it should keep diminishing each week. Indy is so excited to have a friend so it is not surprising.

"but he goes much longer periods of leaving Duncan alone, playing on his own, or sleeping." - GREAT!!! THAT is GREAT to hear. So it is going well.

"When I left for class yesterday, once I got the house all locked up, I realized I'd forgotten to put Indy in the bathroom." - :O

" I decided to chance it. When I got home, Indy was still sleeping on my bed, and Duncan was sleeping on a pillow on the living room sofa. :cheerleader: " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: PERFECT!!!! Yep, they are just fine. It usually happens like that when the human is gone but sometimes they get into mischief and play to much and knock things over.

"At night, I sleep with the bedroom door closed, and Duncan sleeps in the room with me. Indy has the house to himself." - Perfect.

" I would be happy to leave the door open for him, but when I've tried, he becomes super rambunctious and goes after Duncan. If I get up during the night, he will immediately head to the bedroom to cause trouble." - Yes, cats LOVE the night and that is hunting (play for indoors cats) time so not surprising at all especially if they had a calm day that burn off energy but even when they do burn off energy. Young cats have energy. Though older cats can as well. Mine play at night once in a while.

"In the morning, when I open the door, he's sitting right on the other side, ready to pounce on Duncan." - Awwwwwwww, he loves Duncan.

"The growling and hissing start immediately." - Yep, Duncan is like not yet you pest".

"This morning, Indy relentlessly pestered Duncan for 45 minutes. I finally just put him in the bathroom to cool down." - Yes, they will do that. That is fine to let him cool down. Or keep telling him "no", etc. It is all that pent up energy that he wants to play with Duncan.

"Duncan seems okay. He's come back into the bedroom a few times for head scratches, and then he heads back out." - Awwwwww, yeah, Duncan is annoyed with Indy at times but he does like him. That supports that view.

"I think he enjoys the peace and quiet and getting the house all to himself." - Yeah or just the peace and quiet. I think Duncan actually kinda like Indy just not the playing. Like they can sleep near each other, and hang out near each other. If he didn't there is no way Duncan would be like that. And of course Indy loves Duncan. Pretty obvious. It seems like a typical cool big brother worship while the big brother thinks the little brother is a pest.

"Indy has got to settle down." - He will

" He has to, or I just don't see how this can work long term." - Wow, I did not see that coming. Don't worry, Indy will.

"It's not fair to Duncan to constantly have to be fighting him off and teaching him lessons that he doesn't seem to be getting." - Well, I think Duncan would be telling us it is an issue. He would be acting totally different than he is. The rebound is what is most telling but also just the general behavior. Duncan has accepted Indy as family. It is just Indy is the annoying brother at times. (Though it seems like it is getting better though still not were you would like). We all go through what you are going through. We tend to be very protective over our loved resident cat and we tend to be a bit more protective. I have gone through it, I have helped so many people through it. It is totally normal. But we have to let the cat (Duncan) tell us what they really are thinking. If I thought there is ANY risk to Duncan (and we took this slower because of our concerns about Duncan) I would absolutely tell you. But I think this is going extremely well, there is a lot of trust and confidence. Indy is a young cat pest but doesn't mean harm and every indication is, Indy loves Duncan. And the fact Duncan is accepting Indy so quickly and fully it tells me he is much better than you fear. He would/will tell us but they are well, well past the risk point. I think you experience leaving the, out while you were at class is very telling.

Hang in there, I think you will see this more and please trust Duncan. Duncan is telling us Indy is fine (albeit annoying at times).

Just keep doing what you are doing and I would keep the sleeping arrangements for now.

Does Duncan come out right away when you are up out of bed and about? Or does he want to hang out in the bedroom for awhile?

Don't worry, all is going to be fine.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
" He has to, or I just don't see how this can work long term." - Wow, I did not see that coming. Don't worry, Indy will.

"It's not fair to Duncan to constantly have to be fighting him off and teaching him lessons that he doesn't seem to be getting." - Well, I think Duncan would be telling us it is an issue. He would be acting totally different than he is. The rebound is what is most telling but also just the general behavior. Duncan has accepted Indy as family. It is just Indy is the annoying brother at times. (Though it seems like it is getting better though still not were you would like). We all go through what you are going through. We tend to be very protective over our loved resident cat and we tend to be a bit more protective. I have gone through it, I have helped so many people through it. It is totally normal. But we have to let the cat (Duncan) tell us what they really are thinking. If I thought there is ANY risk to Duncan (and we took this slower because of our concerns about Duncan) I would absolutely tell you. But I think this is going extremely well, there is a lot of trust and confidence. Indy is a young cat pest but doesn't mean harm and every indication is, Indy loves Duncan. And the fact Duncan is accepting Indy so quickly and fully it tells me he is much better than you fear. He would/will tell us but they are well, well past the risk point. I think you experience leaving the, out while you were at class is very telling.

Well, I wouldn't want to take him back, but Duncan is my first priority. I don't want him living out the rest of his years constantly hissing growling, and fighting off an annoying little brother.
But to your second point, I'm sure you're right. Duncan is just so sweet, so it makes me sad to see him constantly running for safety.

Does Duncan come out right away when you are up out of bed and about? Or does he want to hang out in the bedroom for awhile?
Like during the night when I get up? I'd say that half the time, he gets up and wanders, but Indy is quickly on him. I only let him come out because I figure he might want to use the litter box. That never really seems to be a need, though.
Other times, he sleeps right through.

In the morning, (he can tell time, I swear) he's standing on me, walking across my head, or just sitting next to me, waiting for me to get up. This is always the case, whether the bedroom door is open or not. As soon as I get up, he's up and ready to go.
On yucky days, he likes to sleep in on my bed, but that's pretty rare. He's been like this for years, so it has nothing to do with Indy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't want to take him back, but Duncan is my first priority. I don't want him living out the rest of his years constantly hissing growling, and fighting off an annoying little brother.
But to your second point, I'm sure you're right. Duncan is just so sweet, so it makes me sad to see him constantly running for safety.

Like during the night when I get up? I'd say that half the time, he gets up and wanders, but Indy is quickly on him. I only let him come out because I figure he might want to use the litter box. That never really seems to be a need, though.
Other times, he sleeps right through.

In the morning, (he can tell time, I swear) he's standing on me, walking across my head, or just sitting next to me, waiting for me to get up. This is always the case, whether the bedroom door is open or not. As soon as I get up, he's up and ready to go.
On yucky days, he likes to sleep in on my bed, but that's pretty rare. He's been like this for years, so it has nothing to do with Indy.
"Well, I wouldn't want to take him back, but Duncan is my first priority." - Understandable.

"I don't want him living out the rest of his years constantly hissing growling, and fighting off an annoying little brother." - Agreed. Though if that was even happening to a significant degree now he would be acting very differently. Hissing and growling happens but doesn't always suggest issues. It is how they act after that tells us how significant the "issues" are. And on the "fighting" some batting in the moment happens all the time but real fighting would be long lasting, persistent, etc. It would be very different than what you are currently witnessing.

"But to your second point, I'm sure you're right. Duncan is just so sweet, so it makes me sad to see him constantly running for safety." - I know. But he is bouncing back right away and acts normal all the other times and they get along. So he is handling it really well. Often, it is much harder for us than for them. If Duncan shows us issues I will be the first to say this is not working. Duncan reminds me of one of mine so I have a soft spot for him. If I thought there were issues I would tell you. Indy will continue to get better.

"Like during the night when I get up?" - And to begin the day.

"I'd say that half the time, he gets up and wanders, but Indy is quickly on him." - Yes, Indy gets excited, it is playtime. BUT if Duncan really feared Indy or there were real issues he would not go out, he would be hiding, really cautious, etc. It would be noticeably different.

" I only let him come out because I figure he might want to use the litter box. That never really seems to be a need, though." - Makes sense.

"Other times, he sleeps right through." - Ok, I only ask because I am thinking maybe we keep Duncan in the bedroom and have Indy burn off that excess energy and then after Duncan eats and the food settles he then comes out. Of course this is when you start the day. Just something I am thinking about and not suggesting.

"In the morning, (he can tell time, I swear)" - Yep, they totally can. Though my girl ( a former feral) likes to start her day at 3am which of course I don;t want to so she is messing with me from 3am on. :/

"he's standing on me, walking across my head, or just sitting next to me, waiting for me to get up." - Yep. That is how they will do it (some of them).

" This is always the case, whether the bedroom door is open or not. As soon as I get up, he's up and ready to go." - Yep, start the day with mom. Again, that is a sign he doesn't really fear Indy.

"On yucky days, he likes to sleep in on my bed, but that's pretty rare. He's been like this for years, so it has nothing to do with Indy." - Yes.

Good info. Let me think about this. I am trying to figure out how to lessen the initial burst of energy Indy has towards Duncan.

Hang in there. You are doing great.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"In the morning, (he can tell time, I swear)" - Yep, they totally can. Though my girl ( a former feral) likes to start her day at 3am which of course I don;t want to so she is messing with me from 3am on. :/
Duncan went through a phase like that a few years back. He started screaming at 2:30am every. single. morning. This went on for months and months. I just ignored him, and eventually, he stopped doing it...but how annoying! lol Funny thing is, he was probably 8 or 9 at the time, so it's not as though he was a kitten or new to my home. It just started out of the blue.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duncan went through a phase like that a few years back. He started screaming at 2:30am every. single. morning. This went on for months and months. I just ignored him, and eventually, he stopped doing it...but how annoying! lol Funny thing is, he was probably 8 or 9 at the time, so it's not as though he was a kitten or new to my home. It just started out of the blue.
Duncan is better behaved than mine!!! Yep, it is so annoying. I am always exhausted. I ignore her and it doesn't matter. She was always the most persistent cat I ever ever met. She is also the one that opens cabinets, thinks anything on my plate is hers, helps herself to any food left unattended, etc. I love her but ohhhhhhhhh does she annoy me at times!!! Hahahaha

I am impressed he learned. Yeah, it often does start out of the blue. I am not surprised with Duncan, he tried it, it didn't work so he was pragmatic and moved on.

Can I send my girl over to you to teach her to stop it??????? Hahahahaha. Actually, I wouldn't do that to an enemy let alone a friend.

My cats are all former ferals so they tend to be much more active at night than most cats. :/

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duncan is better behaved than mine!!! Yep, it is so annoying. I am always exhausted. I ignore her and it doesn't matter. She was always the most persistent cat I ever ever met. She is also the one that opens cabinets, thinks anything on my plate is hers, helps herself to any food left unattended, etc. I love her but ohhhhhhhhh does she annoy me at times!!! Hahahaha
I once had a cat like that. My dad had to make special locks to put on bi-fold doors, and at night, I would literally have to barricade myself in my bedroom with a plant stand under the doorknob because he knew how to open doors with actual round doorknobs! And one time, he got into a bottle of rx prevacid and ate all of them.

I am impressed he learned. Yeah, it often does start out of the blue. I am not surprised with Duncan, he tried it, it didn't work so he was pragmatic and moved on.
It was A LOT of ignoring. I wouldn't even allow myself to move in the bed until he had walked away. I was afraid that any little movement would've been seen as encouragement to him.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had a cat like that. My dad had to make special locks to put on bi-fold doors, and at night, I would literally have to barricade myself in my bedroom with a plant stand under the doorknob because he knew how to open doors with actual round doorknobs! And one time, he got into a bottle of rx prevacid and ate all of them.

It was A LOT of ignoring. I wouldn't even allow myself to move in the bed until he had walked away. I was afraid that any little movement would've been seen as encouragement to him.
You know then. I can't figure out how they get so smart. Impressive your dad knows how to do that.

Yep, mine knows how to open doors with the round doorknobs as well. :/ It is unreal. I have learned to have everything secure.

Oh wow, he is smart. To open a bottle. They can be persistent and figure things out. It is really amazing how smart they can be.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, interesting. I need to try that. What she will do is put her head into me and into my arms etc. But I never tried totally still. Mine will actually start grooming me. Headbutting. Pawing (gently) but still worry when she goes by my cheeks. Then she settles but then tries again. And it goes on until I get up. Then after she eats breakfast she sleeps most of the morning. :/ She definitely takes good care of herself!!!

I need to try your method. Fingers crossed.

If I would try to keep her out she would have serious issues. So I have to let her have access. So that is my only hope to actually get a full night of sleep. :/

It is amazing the spectrum of cat personalities. Never ceases to amaze me.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not quite the same, but had the same thoughts about my 2 residents I've had the longest when I brought 2 more adult cats in.
Ziggy is the most recent, and 14 years old. She can be out for some hours then gets an idea to chase and whap the others (I don't think it's play.) Not to hurt, not aggressive, but the others hiss, growl, crouch run a bit and hide in plain sight so I have Ziggy out for limited periods then back in her safe room 3-4 times throughout the day right now. The others immediately recover and are fine. They even know the noise of me putting Ziggy's gates back up at her room when they are in another part of the house :lol:. To have some separation for the others to have quiet time and eat and litter box.
I know Indy is young and energetic so not saying close him up in the bathroom but having some breaks for the others is what I do.
Ziggy's episodes are decreasing, have had her since March.

Indy will calm :).

And for nighttime Waffles and Mooshoo will not share my bed with Gracie, and Gracie won't with them. So, every other night Waffles and Moo get to sleep with me and Gracie on the other nights. Sheesh enough already, can't you guys share a bed? :lol:
It's been a year for that.

I had to laugh at the night time antics. I can relate.

Cats2AM.jpg