Introducing new cats

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursday afternoon:

Duncan is currently sleeping in his carrier in the living room, so I've brought Into into the sun room with me and closed the french doors. He's passed out in Duncan's favorite spot on the cat tree, feet hanging out over the edge. :lol:

Once they wake up from their naps, I'll try putting them together again.

ETA:
They're both out right now, and there's been minimal hissing/growling...more growling than hissing.
For about 5 minutes, there was a little bit of a standoff in the kitchen. Duncan was hunched up on the floor, and Indy sat directly across from him. Indy stared at him the whole time, and I imagine him saying to Duncan, "Duncannnnnnn....look at me...You lovvvvvvvee meeeee!" Duncan, while facing Indy, mostly didn't look at Indy, kind of off to the side.

When Duncan decided it was time to leave, Indy started to follow him out. They were standing side by side, so I gave them each 2 treats. It's been a while since they've gotten any, so I thought it was a good time.

This said, just now - I'm sitting in the sun room, and Duncan came running in with Indy in hot pursuit. Duncan quickly climbed the less popular cat tree, and Indy didn't bother trying to climb up after him. It's not as easy to get up and down, so hopefully this will become Duncan's new place to run to get away.

Duncan remains on the cat tree, Indy is curled up under the dining room table.
"Thursday afternoon: Duncan is currently sleeping in his carrier in the living room, so I've brought Into into the sun room with me and closed the french doors. He's passed out in Duncan's favorite spot on the cat tree, feet hanging out over the edge. :lol: " - Hahahahaha, a little scent swapping and of course saving the energy for later. ;) I can just see his legs hanging over. Cats.........

"Once they wake up from their naps, I'll try putting them together again." - Sounds good.

"ETA: They're both out right now, and there's been minimal hissing/growling...more growling than hissing." - Great on minimal. Growling is fine, communication.

"For about 5 minutes, there was a little bit of a standoff in the kitchen. Duncan was hunched up on the floor, and Indy sat directly across from him. Indy stared at him the whole time, and I imagine him saying to Duncan, "Duncannnnnnn....look at me...You lovvvvvvvee meeeee!" " - Too funny. I actually think you are probably spot on. Indy so wants to play and just can't figure out why it isn't happening. You should see if Indy wants to be the UN Ambassador at some point. He is pretty good at being diplomatic.

"Duncan, while facing Indy, mostly didn't look at Indy, kind of off to the side." - Hahahaha. Yep. Aloof.

"When Duncan decided it was time to leave, Indy started to follow him out. They were standing side by side, so I gave them each 2 treats. It's been a while since they've gotten any, so I thought it was a good time." - How close were they? Great job on the treats. How did it go?

"This said, just now - I'm sitting in the sun room, and Duncan came running in with Indy in hot pursuit. Duncan quickly climbed the less popular cat tree, and Indy didn't bother trying to climb up after him. It's not as easy to get up and down, so hopefully this will become Duncan's new place to run to get away." - How long after the treats? What did they do in that time between? Yeah, Indy wants to play, doesn't want to hurt, etc. Really good that Indy respected Duncan.

"Duncan remains on the cat tree, Indy is curled up under the dining room table." - :yess: Awwwwwww. too cute. Indy showing Duncan exactly what Duncan needs to see. Fantastic. No doubt Duncan is accepting and trusting more.

Well that is a great situation!!!

"He knows it, too! :) " - Yes he does!!! VERY charismatic!!! And photogenic!! He could be/should be on Chewy commercials.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"For about 5 minutes, there was a little bit of a standoff in the kitchen. Duncan was hunched up on the floor, and Indy sat directly across from him. Indy stared at him the whole time, and I imagine him saying to Duncan, "Duncannnnnnn....look at me...You lovvvvvvvee meeeee!" " - Too funny. I actually think you are probably spot on. Indy so wants to play and just can't figure out why it isn't happening. You should see if Indy wants to be the UN Ambassador at some point. He is pretty good at being diplomatic.
lol I love it!

"When Duncan decided it was time to leave, Indy started to follow him out. They were standing side by side, so I gave them each 2 treats. It's been a while since they've gotten any, so I thought it was a good time." - How close were they? Great job on the treats. How did it go?
Inches.
And good...they both happily ate the treats, no side glances or growls.

"This said, just now - I'm sitting in the sun room, and Duncan came running in with Indy in hot pursuit. Duncan quickly climbed the less popular cat tree, and Indy didn't bother trying to climb up after him. It's not as easy to get up and down, so hopefully this will become Duncan's new place to run to get away." - How long after the treats? What did they do in that time between? Yeah, Indy wants to play, doesn't want to hurt, etc. Really good that Indy respected Duncan.
I don't remember how long...maybe half an hour? It definitely wasn't right after.

"He knows it, too! :) " - Yes he does!!! VERY charismatic!!! And photogenic!! He could be/should be on Chewy commercials.
yeah, he should - it's time that little slacker started pulling his weight and brought home some cash for their food! ;)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol I love it!

Inches.
And good...they both happily ate the treats, no side glances or growls.

I don't remember how long...maybe half an hour? It definitely wasn't right after.

yeah, he should - it's time that little slacker started pulling his weight and brought home some cash for their food! ;)
"lol I love it!" - :)

"Inches." - Wow!!! Duncan is a lot further along than even I realized. Awesome!!!

"And good...they both happily ate the treats, no side glances or growls." - Perfect!!! Positive association, positive encounter. Confidence and trust building. Perfect.

"I don't remember how long...maybe half an hour? It definitely wasn't right after." - Fantastic. I can't say how positive that is because they gave some alone time. It is such a trust and confidence building situation.

"yeah, he should - it's time that little slacker started pulling his weight and brought home some cash for their food! ;) " - Hehehehehe :) I have a feeling he would love that!!! He is a total character. Awesome!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friday morning:

I let Indy out this morning, after Duncan had had his breakfast. The growling started right away. Indy would obey by lying down in front of Duncan, he even rolled over on his side exposing his belly. "That's awesome, looking at him being submissive..." Before I finished that thought, Duncan had started to walk away, and Indy pounced on him. smh

Then, I was scooping litter boxes, when I heard awful screams from the kitchen. I went out, and neither cat was to be found, and there were grey tufts of fur scattered about. :( Poor, Duncan.

Once I found him, I put him up on the harder cat tree. Shortly after, Indy came in and raced up the side of the tree, and the standoff began again.

Currently, Indy is curled up in Duncan's favorite spot, Duncan is sitting next to my monitors, watching and growling. <sigh>

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday morning:

I let Indy out this morning, after Duncan had had his breakfast. The growling started right away. Indy would obey by lying down in front of Duncan, he even rolled over on his side exposing his belly. "That's awesome, looking at him being submissive..." Before I finished that thought, Duncan had started to walk away, and Indy pounced on him. smh

Then, I was scooping litter boxes, when I heard awful screams from the kitchen. I went out, and neither cat was to be found, and there were grey tufts of fur scattered about. :( Poor, Duncan.

Once I found him, I put him up on the harder cat tree. Shortly after, Indy came in and raced up the side of the tree, and the standoff began again.

Currently, Indy is curled up in Duncan's favorite spot, Duncan is sitting next to my monitors, watching and growling. <sigh>
"Friday morning: I let Indy out this morning, after Duncan had had his breakfast." - Good

" The growling started right away." - Expected.

" Indy would obey by lying down in front of Duncan, he even rolled over on his side exposing his belly." - Great!! Awwwwwwww, that is so sweet.

" "That's awesome, looking at him being submissive..." " - Agreed!!

" Before I finished that thought, Duncan had started to walk away, and Indy pounced on him. smh " - I LOVE that Duncan walks away. Yep, Indy is like "Hey, I wanna play!!!"

What happened after this? How did Duncan respond? What did Indy do? I did read the scooping so it seems like not much happened? If so, great.

"Then, I was scooping litter boxes, when I heard awful screams from the kitchen." - Oh, I did not expect this.

" I went out, and neither cat was to be found, and there were grey tufts of fur scattered about. :( Poor, Duncan." - :( Poor Duncan. I guess it escalated. :/ But let's see what happens as what happens after matters.

"Once I found him, I put him up on the harder cat tree." - So they did separate on their own? If so, that is great. That is the negotiating, respect, etc. How was Duncan acting? How long did it take you to find him? How was his body language? I suspect he was rattled.

Did you see Indy? How was Indy acting?

"Shortly after, Indy came in and raced up the side of the tree, and the standoff began again." - Ok, Indy wasn't shaken it seems. How was Duncan?

How was this resolved? The standoff? How did Duncan get down? How was his body language?

"Currently, Indy is curled up in Duncan's favorite spot" - Wow. How long after the incident is this?

"Duncan is sitting next to my monitors, watching and growling. <sigh>" - Is Duncan basically back to normal at this point?

I know it may not feel like it but this is either positive or really positive depending on the answers to the above questions. This is really a test of where they are and it sounds like they passed.

It is all about the rebound. That tells us so much.

I will say, it sounds like you handled it perfectly!!! Well done!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What happened after this? How did Duncan respond? What did Indy do? I did read the scooping so it seems like not much happened? If so, great.
Well, I picked Indy up and moved him elsewhere. I think I took him out to the kitchen while I did...something. I can't remember.

"Once I found him, I put him up on the harder cat tree." - So they did separate on their own? If so, that is great. That is the negotiating, respect, etc. How was Duncan acting? How long did it take you to find him? How was his body language? I suspect he was rattled.
Yes. By the time I made it around to the kitchen, Duncan was in the half bath and Indy was somewhere else. I have no idea where, but he wasn't in the kitchen.
Soon after I walked in the kitchen, Duncan walked right out of the bathroom toward me. He seemed okay.

"Shortly after, Indy came in and raced up the side of the tree, and the standoff began again." - Ok, Indy wasn't shaken it seems. How was Duncan?
Well, annoyed, I'm sure, but he was up on the tree, immediately scratched his nails on the scratch post, as is his typical routine when I put him on the trees. Then, he turned around and watched for Indy so he could make some noise if Indy came around. He didn't seem too shaken.
As far as when Indy raced up the tree? Duncan made a lot of noise, Indy squatted down like he was going to pounce upward, but then he hopped down and walked away. Duncan sat up there for quite some time before Indy finally decided to crawl into the box on the other tree. Eventually, Duncan hopped over to my desk, stretched in front of me (back toward Indy) and then sat facing Indy. He would make some noise, but that was it.

Soon after that, it was time for breakfast. Indy raced into the bathroom to eat, and I put Duncan's food out, too. Duncan walked out to the LR keeping an eye out for Indy, but he wasn't slinking around or anything. He was definitely looking, though.
Since I needed to run out, I closed the LR/hallway door and left the house. They're still on each side of the door, since I'm trying to get some work done. I'll open it again in a bit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I picked Indy up and moved him elsewhere. I think I took him out to the kitchen while I did...something. I can't remember.

Yes. By the time I made it around to the kitchen, Duncan was in the half bath and Indy was somewhere else. I have no idea where, but he wasn't in the kitchen.
Soon after I walked in the kitchen, Duncan walked right out of the bathroom toward me. He seemed okay.

Well, annoyed, I'm sure, but he was up on the tree, immediately scratched his nails on the scratch post, as is his typical routine when I put him on the trees. Then, he turned around and watched for Indy so he could make some noise if Indy came around. He didn't seem too shaken.
As far as when Indy raced up the tree? Duncan made a lot of noise, Indy squatted down like he was going to pounce upward, but then he hopped down and walked away. Duncan sat up there for quite some time before Indy finally decided to crawl into the box on the other tree. Eventually, Duncan hopped over to my desk, stretched in front of me (back toward Indy) and then sat facing Indy. He would make some noise, but that was it.

Soon after that, it was time for breakfast. Indy raced into the bathroom to eat, and I put Duncan's food out, too. Duncan walked out to the LR keeping an eye out for Indy, but he wasn't slinking around or anything. He was definitely looking, though.
Since I needed to run out, I closed the LR/hallway door and left the house. They're still on each side of the door, since I'm trying to get some work done. I'll open it again in a bit.
"Well, I picked Indy up and moved him elsewhere. I think I took him out to the kitchen while I did...something. I can't remember." - Ok, how agitated was he? Can you remember at all? My guess is since it isn't that memorable he probably was ok.

"Yes. By the time I made it around to the kitchen, Duncan was in the half bath and Indy was somewhere else." - Ok, great. So they chose to separate rather than escalate. That is REALLY positive.

"I have no idea where, but he wasn't in the kitchen." - OK, that is fine. He chose to leave and that is the important point. A lot of times it escalates and the cats are kinda shocked. Where they didn't want to do that but it kinda escalates and happens. It is really hard to describe but when you see it you know. I see it fairly often.

"Soon after I walked in the kitchen, Duncan walked right out of the bathroom toward me. He seemed okay." - WOW!!! How soon after? How was his body language? If he "seemed ok" he must have been good. THAT is REALLY GOOD!! And suggests it was probably an incident like I mentioned just previously.

"Well, annoyed, I'm sure, but he was up on the tree" - That is good. Yeah, he was probably a bit annoyed.

" immediately scratched his nails on the scratch post, as is his typical routine when I put him on the trees." - Yep. Good way to get his scent on it and relieve some stress.

" Then, he turned around and watched for Indy so he could make some noise if Indy came around. He didn't seem too shaken." - Wow, that is pretty good.

"As far as when Indy raced up the tree? Duncan made a lot of noise, Indy squatted down like he was going to pounce upward, but then he hopped down and walked away." - :yess: THIS is SO POSITIVE and tells me it is all about play.

"Duncan sat up there for quite some time before Indy finally decided to crawl into the box on the other tree. Eventually, Duncan hopped over to my desk, stretched in front of me (back toward Indy) and then sat facing Indy. He would make some noise, but that was it." - WOW!!! I LOVE the stretch!!!! That is confidence.

This was SO POSITIVE. They faced a big test and passed with flying colors!!! This tends to always happen in intros and they passed the test. They respected each other and the line. No intent to hurt, some of it was defensive. It escalated BUT they chose to separate and not go at it. So they didn't really fear each other.

Yep, it is not perfect yet but they are definitely intro'd.

And I LOVE that you left Indy out after that and all went well.

You and the cats handled it perfectly!! Really well done. I am so proud of all you of. :clap2:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Well, I picked Indy up and moved him elsewhere. I think I took him out to the kitchen while I did...something. I can't remember." - Ok, how agitated was he? Can you remember at all? My guess is since it isn't that memorable he probably was ok.
He was fine.

"Soon after I walked in the kitchen, Duncan walked right out of the bathroom toward me. He seemed okay." - WOW!!! How soon after? How was his body language? If he "seemed ok" he must have been good. THAT is REALLY GOOD!! And suggests it was probably an incident like I mentioned just previously.
I continued to clean the box after I heard the screeching because it ended fairly quickly, and I didn't hear anything else. I would say it took me 2 or 3 minutes to get to the kitchen, and then Duncan came right out of the bathroom toward me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was fine.

I continued to clean the box after I heard the screeching because it ended fairly quickly, and I didn't hear anything else. I would say it took me 2 or 3 minutes to get to the kitchen, and then Duncan came right out of the bathroom toward me.
"He was fine." - That is really good. If it was serious he would have been seriously worked up, intense.

"I continued to clean the box after I heard the screeching because it ended fairly quickly, and I didn't hear anything else." - Ahhhhh, ok. That is even more positive.

"I would say it took me 2 or 3 minutes to get to the kitchen, and then Duncan came right out of the bathroom toward me." - :yess:

It is even better than I thought. I am ecstatic right now. I know it is not ideal but this tells us a lot about where they are. They ae going to be just. THEY handled it which is REALLY positive. :clap2:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"He was fine." - That is really good. If it was serious he would have been seriously worked up, intense.

"I continued to clean the box after I heard the screeching because it ended fairly quickly, and I didn't hear anything else." - Ahhhhh, ok. That is even more positive.

"I would say it took me 2 or 3 minutes to get to the kitchen, and then Duncan came right out of the bathroom toward me." - :yess:

It is even better than I thought. I am ecstatic right now. I know it is not ideal but this tells us a lot about where they are. They ae going to be just. THEY handled it which is REALLY positive. :clap2:
Duncan was happily sleeping in the living room when I let Indy back out. Indy ignored him for maybe 15-20 minutes, but then discovered where Duncan was. I heard more loud hissing or something, and I came out to the living room. Poor Duncan. Every time he tries to relax, Indy is there to disrupt. How much longer before Indy doesn't feel the need to antagonize him. At this point, he's spent a huge chunk of the last 2 or 3 days out in the house. By now, the novelty should've worn off.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duncan was happily sleeping in the living room when I let Indy back out. Indy ignored him for maybe 15-20 minutes, but then discovered where Duncan was. I heard more loud hissing or something, and I came out to the living room. Poor Duncan. Every time he tries to relax, Indy is there to disrupt. How much longer before Indy doesn't feel the need to antagonize him. At this point, he's spent a huge chunk of the last 2 or 3 days out in the house. By now, the novelty should've worn off.
"Duncan was happily sleeping in the living room when I let Indy back out." - Great

" Indy ignored him for maybe 15-20 minutes, but then discovered where Duncan was." - Yep, pretty good it was that long. Was he searching for Duncan? Looking around for him?

"I heard more loud hissing or something, and I came out to the living room. Poor Duncan."- Yep.

"Every time he tries to relax, Indy is there to disrupt." - I know. :/ But the fact it isn;t escalating is really good. Indy is tryng to get him to play and respect the boundary.

"How much longer before Indy doesn't feel the need to antagonize him." - Tough to know. Number of times will diminish but there will be interest at times. It is hard to really know. Some cats it really lingers, some end it quickly. Depends on how social, bored, energetic, etc they are. For Indy I am not exactly sure how it will balance out. I think Duncan will be taking care of it though which is good.

"At this point, he's spent a huge chunk of the last 2 or 3 days out in the house." - Serious? WOW. Like how "big of a chunk"? I thought he wasn't out that much.

"By now, the novelty should've worn off." - Not really. A few days would be really fast BUT if he is out a big chunk and this is all that is going on that is really good. Usually it is much more often than this.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
" Indy ignored him for maybe 15-20 minutes, but then discovered where Duncan was." - Yep, pretty good it was that long. Was he searching for Duncan? Looking around for him?
Not the whole time, no. He followed me out to the sun room, and he sat on my desk for a bit, explored the kitchen, that sort of thing.

"At this point, he's spent a huge chunk of the last 2 or 3 days out in the house." - Serious? WOW. Like how "big of a chunk"? I thought he wasn't out that much.
Several hours over the course of the day. For the most part, they were both out in the house. Occasionally, like right now, when Duncan heads into the bedroom to try to sleep on the bed, I show him some mercy, and I will close the door to let him sleep. Duncan had gone in there to get some peace and quiet, and Indy immediately followed and then scaled the bed where more shenanigans took place. This was when I decided to give Duncan some peace. So Duncan is in the bedroom, the LR/hallway door is closed, and Indy is relaxing on the top of the LR chair, looking out the large window.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not the whole time, no. He followed me out to the sun room, and he sat on my desk for a bit, explored the kitchen, that sort of thing.

Several hours over the course of the day. For the most part, they were both out in the house. Occasionally, like right now, when Duncan heads into the bedroom to try to sleep on the bed, I show him some mercy, and I will close the door to let him sleep. Duncan had gone in there to get some peace and quiet, and Indy immediately followed and then scaled the bed where more shenanigans took place. This was when I decided to give Duncan some peace. So Duncan is in the bedroom, the LR/hallway door is closed, and Indy is relaxing on the top of the LR chair, looking out the large window.
"Not the whole time, no. He followed me out to the sun room, and he sat on my desk for a bit, explored the kitchen, that sort of thing." - That is great. The behavior Indy is showing is "Pest" not "Problem" if that makes sense.

"Several hours over the course of the day." - Wow, great. I am impressed.

"For the most part, they were both out in the house." - Perfect. And not bothering each other.

" Occasionally, like right now, when Duncan heads into the bedroom to try to sleep on the bed, I show him some mercy, and I will close the door to let him sleep." - That is fine.

" Duncan had gone in there to get some peace and quiet, and Indy immediately followed and then scaled the bed where more shenanigans took place." - But nothing serious? And how did they act after that?

"This was when I decided to give Duncan some peace. So Duncan is in the bedroom, the LR/hallway door is closed, and Indy is relaxing on the top of the LR chair, looking out the large window." - Sounds perfect.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saturday:

Indy was out for quite a few hours yesterday. There were periods of time where they were in the same room and lived peacefully. Indy would curl up on the chair and look out, while Duncan sat or laid on the arm of the recliner. Sometimes, Indy would be lying on the floor beneath the recliner, and Duncan would be on the recliner or the table next to the recliner.

So all well and good...and then...

There were also a few dust-ups sprinkled throughout. Lots of hissing and growling, chases through the house. After those, I would usually find Duncan hiding behind the toilet in the half bath.
One particular feud last night was so loud. I went to the kitchen to check on them, and Indy was puffed up like he stuck his claw in an electrical outlet. Duncan was hiding behind the toilet.

After that one, I picked Indy up and put him back in the hall/bath area and called it a night on that.

So far this morning, Indy is still in the bathroom, but I'll be releasing him soon. Right now, I'm just enjoying the peaceful purring coming from a content Duncan. :catlove:

Girltreadwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my vet just recommended feliway multicat diffusers to us after introducing a 3 yo boy to my senior 12 yo boy. We are on day two and they seem to all (we also have a 7yo girl who is chill with the introduction) be hanging in the same room with each other (bedroom). However older cat still hisses and swipes when new edition gets too close. If I see any significant changes in the next week I'll update here!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my vet just recommended feliway multicat diffusers to us after introducing a 3 yo boy to my senior 12 yo boy. We are on day two and they seem to all (we also have a 7yo girl who is chill with the introduction) be hanging in the same room with each other (bedroom). However older cat still hisses and swipes when new edition gets too close. If I see any significant changes in the next week I'll update here!
I have the warmer, but I need to refill the actual liquid. Thanks for the reminder.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday:

Indy was out for quite a few hours yesterday. There were periods of time where they were in the same room and lived peacefully. Indy would curl up on the chair and look out, while Duncan sat or laid on the arm of the recliner. Sometimes, Indy would be lying on the floor beneath the recliner, and Duncan would be on the recliner or the table next to the recliner.

So all well and good...and then...

There were also a few dust-ups sprinkled throughout. Lots of hissing and growling, chases through the house. After those, I would usually find Duncan hiding behind the toilet in the half bath.
One particular feud last night was so loud. I went to the kitchen to check on them, and Indy was puffed up like he stuck his claw in an electrical outlet. Duncan was hiding behind the toilet.

After that one, I picked Indy up and put him back in the hall/bath area and called it a night on that.

So far this morning, Indy is still in the bathroom, but I'll be releasing him soon. Right now, I'm just enjoying the peaceful purring coming from a content Duncan. :catlove:
"Saturday: Indy was out for quite a few hours yesterday." - Great

"There were periods of time where they were in the same room and lived peacefully. Indy would curl up on the chair and look out, while Duncan sat or laid on the arm of the recliner." - Perfect. This is what tells me they are fine. That the shenanigans are mischievous rather than something to be worried about.

"Sometimes, Indy would be lying on the floor beneath the recliner, and Duncan would be on the recliner or the table next to the recliner." - WOW!!!! That is awesome. Was Duncan calm, relaxed?

"So all well and good...and then..." - Agreed and ohhhhhhhhhhhh

"There were also a few dust-ups sprinkled throughout." - Yes

"Lots of hissing and growling, chases through the house." - Ok

" After those, I would usually find Duncan hiding behind the toilet in the half bath." - Hmmmmmmm. What was Indy doing at that point?

"One particular feud last night was so loud. I went to the kitchen to check on them, and Indy was puffed up like he stuck his claw in an electrical outlet. Duncan was hiding behind the toilet." - Hmmmmmm, I wonder what happened? His tail was puffed or was the hair on his back up as well? How was Duncan?

"After that one, I picked Indy up and put him back in the hall/bath area and called it a night on that." - Yeah, makes sense.

How did Duncan act after? Any lingering issues? And Indy?

"So far this morning, Indy is still in the bathroom, but I'll be releasing him soon." - Great

" Right now, I'm just enjoying the peaceful purring coming from a content Duncan. :catlove: " - Awwwwwwwww, doesn't get much better than that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is a bit fast to have face to face contact with the cats in my opinion.

It is always best to follow the formal introduction process to build trust between them while building confidence as a confident cat is more likely to accept or be accepted.

We want to make positive associations (using food mainly) and to make every encounter as positive as possible. Having negativity can cause delays to intro'ing the cats.

If you would like specific advice I am happy to help. just start a new thread and let me know the title and I will help you through the process.

Cats are territorial so any new cat coming into "their" territory can be unsettling and cause issues including worry about physical well being and access to food etc. Some cats do better than others but it is best to build trust. Seeing each other so early is a risky strategy in my opinion. Following the formal process is the best to make the transition successful.

It is all about building confidence in each cat through Play, Food, Height and Love, making positive associations using food, and maximizing positive encounters and minimizing or avoiding negative encounters. Those are the fundamental building blocks of successful intros. Always keep those in mind.

Just let me know if you need help and if so what your new thread is. Good luck.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Saturday: Indy was out for quite a few hours yesterday." - Great

"There were periods of time where they were in the same room and lived peacefully. Indy would curl up on the chair and look out, while Duncan sat or laid on the arm of the recliner." - Perfect. This is what tells me they are fine. That the shenanigans are mischievous rather than something to be worried about.

"Sometimes, Indy would be lying on the floor beneath the recliner, and Duncan would be on the recliner or the table next to the recliner." - WOW!!!! That is awesome. Was Duncan calm, relaxed?

"So all well and good...and then..." - Agreed and ohhhhhhhhhhhh

"There were also a few dust-ups sprinkled throughout." - Yes

"Lots of hissing and growling, chases through the house." - Ok

" After those, I would usually find Duncan hiding behind the toilet in the half bath." - Hmmmmmmm. What was Indy doing at that point?

"One particular feud last night was so loud. I went to the kitchen to check on them, and Indy was puffed up like he stuck his claw in an electrical outlet. Duncan was hiding behind the toilet." - Hmmmmmm, I wonder what happened? His tail was puffed or was the hair on his back up as well? How was Duncan?

"After that one, I picked Indy up and put him back in the hall/bath area and called it a night on that." - Yeah, makes sense.

How did Duncan act after? Any lingering issues? And Indy?

"So far this morning, Indy is still in the bathroom, but I'll be releasing him soon." - Great

" Right now, I'm just enjoying the peaceful purring coming from a content Duncan. :catlove: " - Awwwwwwwww, doesn't get much better than that.
Sunday:

Indy has been out since shortly after I put my last comment on here. It's been hours and only some mild hissing and growling. Duncan has decided that the kitchen counter and the dining room table are good places to "hide" when Indy starts getting rambunctious.
For the most part, though, they've done well with doing their own thing. I have no idea where Indy is currently, but Duncan is curled up on top of the sofa. All is peaceful in the house. Ahhhhhhh

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday:

Indy has been out since shortly after I put my last comment on here. It's been hours and only some mild hissing and growling. Duncan has decided that the kitchen counter and the dining room table are good places to "hide" when Indy starts getting rambunctious.
For the most part, though, they've done well with doing their own thing. I have no idea where Indy is currently, but Duncan is curled up on top of the sofa. All is peaceful in the house. Ahhhhhhh
"Sunday: Indy has been out since shortly after I put my last comment on here." - Great

"It's been hours and only some mild hissing and growling." - Wow!!!! AWESOME!!!!

"Duncan has decided that the kitchen counter and the dining room table are good places to "hide" when Indy starts getting rambunctious." - I LOVE that he is going "high" to escape.

"For the most part, though, they've done well with doing their own thing." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

"I have no idea where Indy is currently, but Duncan is curled up on top of the sofa." - Perfect

" All is peaceful in the house. Ahhhhhhh " - 😍

Sounds like yesterday wasn't a big deal to the cats. Pretty good. Exactly what we want to see. They are going to be fine. :)