Introducing new cats

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday morning:

I went to open the hallway door this morning, and Duncan was right behind me. I figured Indy was right on the other side, but I opened the door anyway, since Duncan was so curious.

The second he saw Indy, he jumped back a little, and then he promptly made his way around the back of the recliner. Indy marched confidently out into the living room. Every time they would come face to face, Duncan would hiss and Indy would immediately walk in another direction. Great.

This went on for maybe 10-15 minutes. Eventually, Duncan was sitting in the dining room, and Indy came up behind him. He launched himself on Duncan, and Duncan let out a loud, angry screech. He raced into the kitchen, and Indy stayed behind in the dining room. I went out to the kitchen and pet Duncan who was slightly hunched up. He let me pet him just fine, but he wouldn't relax.
Indy soon joined Duncan in the kitchen, parading around in front of Duncan, tail held high, no worries. Duncan growled and hissed the whole time.
Indy left the kitchen, so I tried to coax Duncan into coming over to me. He wouldn't move. Eventually, I went over and picked Duncan up. He kind of let out a sad little cry, but he relaxed in my arms.

I saw on the living room chair, and he immediately hopped to the back of the chair and laid down. He kept his eyes on Indy the entire time.

Indy tried to get to him a few times, but he failed every time, usually because the jump was just a tad too much for him. Indy hopped on the cedar chest and looked out the window, Duncan watched him, growling occasionally. At one point, Indy sprawled out on the cedar chest, watching Duncan. Duncan mostly watched him, but there were times when he turned his head away from Indy for a few minutes.

Nearing the 1 hour mark, Indy tried one last time to get to Duncan. He missed the jump again, but it was enough to get more growls and hisses.

By this point, I just needed a break, so I put Indy back in the bathroom, and I'm considering a nap. Duncan has already headed that way.

I may try again a little later.
Sunday morning: I went to open the hallway door this morning, and Duncan was right behind me. I figured Indy was right on the other side, but I opened the door anyway, since Duncan was so curious." - Ok. Pretty good Duncan was right there.

"The second he saw Indy, he jumped back a little, and then he promptly made his way around the back of the recliner. Indy marched confidently out into the living room. Every time they would come face to face, Duncan would hiss and Indy would immediately walk in another direction. Great." - Agreed

"This went on for maybe 10-15 minutes. Eventually, Duncan was sitting in the dining room, and Indy came up behind him. He launched himself on Duncan, and Duncan let out a loud, angry screech." - Yep. Playtime to Indy, annoyance to Duncan.

"He raced into the kitchen, and Indy stayed behind in the dining room." - GREAT that Indy did not chase. A really good sign and greaty for Duncan's confidence and trust..

"I went out to the kitchen and pet Duncan who was slightly hunched up. He let me pet him just fine, but he wouldn't relax." - Ok, understandable.

"Indy soon joined Duncan in the kitchen, parading around in front of Duncan, tail held high, no worries. Duncan growled and hissed the whole time." - BUT Indy showed Duncan he doesn't mean harm which is GREAT!!!

"Indy left the kitchen" - Without a confrontation? If so GREAT!!!

" so I tried to coax Duncan into coming over to me. He wouldn't move. Eventually, I went over and picked Duncan up. He kind of let out a sad little cry, but he relaxed in my arms." - :/

"I saw on the living room chair, and he immediately hopped to the back of the chair and laid down. He kept his eyes on Indy the entire time." - Ok, GREAT. Sounds like he rebounded well.

This actually was positive. Indy showed Duncan he doesn't mean harm.

"Indy tried to get to him a few times, but he failed every time, usually because the jump was just a tad too much for him. Indy hopped on the cedar chest and looked out the window, Duncan watched him, growling occasionally. At one point, Indy sprawled out on the cedar chest, watching Duncan. Duncan mostly watched him, but there were times when he turned his head away from Indy for a few minutes." - Great. I am every bit convinced Indy just wants to play.

"Nearing the 1 hour mark, Indy tried one last time to get to Duncan. He missed the jump again, but it was enough to get more growls and hisses." - WOW, 1 hour!!! AWESOME!!!! Yeah, growling and hissing doesn't seem too serious as Indy doesn't seem fazed. So it is more of a warning than something more serious.

"By this point, I just needed a break, so I put Indy back in the bathroom, and I'm considering a nap. Duncan has already headed that way." - Perfect. Enjoy the well deserved nap!!!

"I may try again a little later." - Sounds good.

They are intro'd. We just need to tidy things up. But no doubt all is going to be well. Just keep doing what you are doing.

"Yes and no. He always started in the bed with me...ALWAYS. Sometime during the night, he was move out to the chair in the living room. When I'd get up to go to the bathroom or get water or something, I'd always stop and hug on him. That was all he needed, and he'd race me to the bedroom, where he'd sleep the rest of the night. Pretty much every morning, I'd wake up sandwiched between the two, or Admiral would be curled up on my chest with his face right in mine. :) " - Great.

"The funniest mornings would be when I'd wake up with Admiral on my chest and Duncan on my legs." - :) Yep. And sometimes we are so tired we didn't even know until we awaken. :)

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunday night:

We just tried again, and it didn't go well at all.

After letting Indy into the living room, he promptly went straight for a hissing/growling Duncan. Duncan was hiding under the dining room table. I was able to coax Indy back to the living room to play with his fishing pole toy. That lasted all of a minute before he raced after Duncan again. Duncan kept backing away, growling and hissing, his body in a recoiled position. Indy just isn't picking up Duncan's cues. He charged at him, Duncan yelled out, there was screeching on both sides, and Duncan ran to hide in the kitchen. I corralled Indy and put him back in the hallway.

I went to check on Duncan who was hiding around the corner. When I went to pet him, he kind of slinked away by backing up. He let me pick him up, but he was letting out these little cries the whole time. I carried him back into the living room, and I held him for a couple minutes. I could tell he wanted to get down, so I opened my arms, and he hopped out. He's currently hiding behind my recliner. :argh:

I just really don't think Duncan is into having another kitty around, and Indy doesn't seem to be understanding that he needs to settle down. The woman I adopted him from said he doesn't understand boundaries or personal space. I'm starting to see what she means.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday night:

We just tried again, and it didn't go well at all.

After letting Indy into the living room, he promptly went straight for a hissing/growling Duncan. Duncan was hiding under the dining room table. I was able to coax Indy back to the living room to play with his fishing pole toy. That lasted all of a minute before he raced after Duncan again. Duncan kept backing away, growling and hissing, his body in a recoiled position. Indy just isn't picking up Duncan's cues. He charged at him, Duncan yelled out, there was screeching on both sides, and Duncan ran to hide in the kitchen. I corralled Indy and put him back in the hallway.

I went to check on Duncan who was hiding around the corner. When I went to pet him, he kind of slinked away by backing up. He let me pick him up, but he was letting out these little cries the whole time. I carried him back into the living room, and I held him for a couple minutes. I could tell he wanted to get down, so I opened my arms, and he hopped out. He's currently hiding behind my recliner. :argh:

I just really don't think Duncan is into having another kitty around, and Indy doesn't seem to be understanding that he needs to settle down. The woman I adopted him from said he doesn't understand boundaries or personal space. I'm starting to see what she means.
"Sunday night: We just tried again, and it didn't go well at all." - Hmmmm, ok.

"After letting Indy into the living room, he promptly went straight for a hissing/growling Duncan." - Ok, not surprising. Indy wants to play. Where was Duncan?

"Duncan was hiding under the dining room table." - Ok, so was Duncan already under there went Indy came out or was he close and just went under there?

"I was able to coax Indy back to the living room to play with his fishing pole toy." - GREAT!!! This is really a big deal to both us and Duncan. It shows us the intent is not one of malice but of play/interest. And it shows Duncan the same.

"That lasted all of a minute before he raced after Duncan again." - Ok. Yeah, cats tend to be more interesting than toys.

"Duncan kept backing away, growling and hissing, his body in a recoiled position. Indy just isn't picking up Duncan's cues." - Yeah, this is where confidence comes into the picture. They are fine and then when a cat shows a lack of confidence the other cat tends to respond. If we can get Duncan to be more confident, hold his ground, etc Indy will stop.

"He charged at him, Duncan yelled out, there was screeching on both sides, and Duncan ran to hide in the kitchen." - I would assume Indy went after him towards the kitchen and you scooped Indy up before?

Was there any hair out, blood, etc?

"I corralled Indy and put him back in the hallway." - Ok

"I went to check on Duncan who was hiding around the corner. When I went to pet him, he kind of slinked away by backing up. He let me pick him up, but he was letting out these little cries the whole time." - :(

"I carried him back into the living room, and I held him for a couple minutes. I could tell he wanted to get down, so I opened my arms, and he hopped out." - Awwwwwww

" He's currently hiding behind my recliner. :argh: " - :( How long was he behind there?

I think Duncan is still haunted by the attack from the previous cat. But this was surprising to me since they had over a week of Duncan showing a lot of confidence and acceptance. I am trying to figure out what was different here. I am wondering if it was the place where it happened?

"I just really don't think Duncan is into having another kitty around" - I don't get that sense. This past week I saw acceptance, trust. This is the first incident that I would consider negative and it really wasn't that negative. I actually expected this sooner. These are the blips I have been talking about. Now if Indy really attacked, etc it would be a different story but Indy is showing restraint and so is Duncan. If Duncan really feared we would have had a full blown fight. I am thinking back to when Duncan was on the back of the couch and Indy jumped up and Duncan didn't even flinch. There is trust and confidence by the couch. . We just need to expand that into other areas.

" and Indy doesn't seem to be understanding that he needs to settle down." - Yeah, he is a young kitten. And he sense Duncan is cool and is a friend he wants to play with.

" The woman I adopted him from said he doesn't understand boundaries or personal space. I'm starting to see what she means." - Hmmmmmm, most young cats are like that. If it was serious there would be no way you can distract him, he would be on top of Duncan, etc. Indy knows where the line is, there is no doubt in my mind. And actually, I think Duncan is probably not forceful enough in getting his point across (which is another reason why I think Duncan actually kinda likes Indy). How did Duncan handle Admiral in times like these? How does it differ from his interactions with Indy?

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"After letting Indy into the living room, he promptly went straight for a hissing/growling Duncan." - Ok, not surprising. Indy wants to play. Where was Duncan?
Living room

"Duncan was hiding under the dining room table." - Ok, so was Duncan already under there went Indy came out or was he close and just went under there?
He went there to get away from Indy.

"He charged at him, Duncan yelled out, there was screeching on both sides, and Duncan ran to hide in the kitchen." - I would assume Indy went after him towards the kitchen and you scooped Indy up before?
Correct.

Was there any hair out, blood, etc?
No.

" He's currently hiding behind my recliner. :argh: " - :( How long was he behind there?
I would guess 15 minutes.

I think Duncan is still haunted by the attack from the previous cat. But this was surprising to me since they had over a week of Duncan showing a lot of confidence and acceptance. I am trying to figure out what was different here. I am wondering if it was the place where it happened?
Where what happened? Gracie going after him? That was in the sun room.

" The woman I adopted him from said he doesn't understand boundaries or personal space. I'm starting to see what she means." - Hmmmmmm, most young cats are like that. If it was serious there would be no way you can distract him, he would be on top of Duncan, etc. Indy knows where the line is, there is no doubt in my mind. And actually, I think Duncan is probably not forceful enough in getting his point across (which is another reason why I think Duncan actually kinda likes Indy). How did Duncan handle Admiral in times like these? How does it differ from his interactions with Indy?
The only times they ever wrestled or went so far as to fight was when Admiral didn't know to stop grooming Duncan, and Duncan had enough.
There was never a time where one or the other was sitting somewhere or walking and the other came up and pounced. That kind of stuff never happened.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living room

He went there to get away from Indy.

Correct.

No.

I would guess 15 minutes.

Where what happened? Gracie going after him? That was in the sun room.

The only times they ever wrestled or went so far as to fight was when Admiral didn't know to stop grooming Duncan, and Duncan had enough.
There was never a time where one or the other was sitting somewhere or walking and the other came up and pounced. That kind of stuff never happened.
"Living room" - Ok. He was on the floor not on the couch? Was he surprised or kinda knew Indy was coming?

"He went there to get away from Indy." - Yep, his "go to" place it seems.

"Correct." - How far did Indy chase before you scooped him up?

"No. " - Great

"I would guess 15 minutes." Longer than he has been but that is still a fast rebound. He did rebound back to normal shortly thereafter? Any lingering issues?

"Where what happened? Gracie going after him? That was in the sun room." - Ok.

"The only times they ever wrestled or went so far as to fight was when Admiral didn't know to stop grooming Duncan, and Duncan had enough." - Ok. The wrestling they did was more contact than what Duncan and Indy have had, correct?

"There was never a time where one or the other was sitting somewhere or walking and the other came up and pounced. That kind of stuff never happened." - Ok. That pounce play is very common among cats especially young ones.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Living room" - Ok. He was on the floor not on the couch? Was he surprised or kinda knew Indy was coming?
He was on the floor and saw him coming.

"Correct." - How far did Indy chase before you scooped him up?
Only a couple steps. He didn't actually start to chase because I was there in an instant. I could sense he was going to try something, so I was nearby.

"I would guess 15 minutes." Longer than he has been but that is still a fast rebound. He did rebound back to normal shortly thereafter? Any lingering issues?
No. He hopped on the arm of the recliner after he had time to decompress.

"The only times they ever wrestled or went so far as to fight was when Admiral didn't know to stop grooming Duncan, and Duncan had enough." - Ok. The wrestling they did was more contact than what Duncan and Indy have had, correct?
Not really. I would say theirs was just more tame, whereas with Indy, it's more angry.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was on the floor and saw him coming.

Only a couple steps. He didn't actually start to chase because I was there in an instant. I could sense he was going to try something, so I was nearby.

No. He hopped on the arm of the recliner after he had time to decompress.

Not really. I would say theirs was just more tame, whereas with Indy, it's more angry.
"He was on the floor and saw him coming." - Makes sense. He probably felt a little insecure and vulnerable there.

"Only a couple steps. He didn't actually start to chase because I was there in an instant. I could sense he was going to try something, so I was nearby." - Great job. Avoiding a negative is a positive and does build confidence.

"No. He hopped on the arm of the recliner after he had time to decompress." - Great. THAT is very important. Doesn't sound like it was that bad judging by Duncan's behavior which is great.

"Not really. I would say theirs was just more tame, whereas with Indy, it's more angry." - Do you really think angry? Or more energetic? I just don't get a sense Indy means harm. If he did we would be having severe interactions, no line being respected and Duncan would be acting way differently (negatively). Indy may be a pest (like most young cats) but I just get a sense he respects and likes Duncan and doesn't mean harm. And in Duncan I have seen multiple instances of acceptance and trust. It isn't perfect but what is left is fine tuning. The base of acceptance is strong judging by all I am reading. If Duncan was reacting differently then I would be concerned but I just see Duncan acting well.

I just got off another thread. They were intro'd about a year ago. The cats were very interactive, lots of wrestling, etc. Some marking going on though I am not sure that was relationship driven. Now, they have interactions that result in hissing, growling before feeding times. But after eating the get along, there is no residual, lingering issues, etc. We don't like that and we need to work to "clean it up" but the relationship is filled with love and respect between them. And that base is what allows for improvement.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Not really. I would say theirs was just more tame, whereas with Indy, it's more angry." - Do you really think angry? Or more energetic? I just don't get a sense Indy means harm. If he did we would be having severe interactions, no line being respected and Duncan would be acting way differently (negatively). Indy may be a pest (like most young cats) but I just get a sense he respects and likes Duncan and doesn't mean harm. And in Duncan I have seen multiple instances of acceptance and trust. It isn't perfect but what is left is fine tuning. The base of acceptance is strong judging by all I am reading. If Duncan was reacting differently then I would be concerned but I just see Duncan acting well.
A "pest" is a good way to describe Indy. He's like a gnat to Duncan. lol Awwww, poor Indy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A "pest" is a good way to describe Indy. He's like a gnat to Duncan. lol Awwww, poor Indy.
Yep. My oldest (girl) has to deal with a few "pests" and she needs to tell them sometimes.

But boys tend to be the biggest pests.

Boys..................... They seem to never grow up. Both human and cat!!

Yes, Indy sure seems to want to play with him. :/ Either he will figure it out or Duncan will start paying with him.

It is funny, I helped another person that reminds me of your situation. The resident cat is a female, same age as Duncan, has arthritis. The younger cat is energetic, playful, male and a pest like they are at that age. Mom was going through the same things you are (though the issues were more severe in appearance but when looking into it it looked worse than it really was). She updates us and when I see them I cry with joy. They are thick as thieves and the young cat actually helped the resident cat be younger. But it was bumpy to that point (again in appearance rather than in actuality). The working out period can be tricky, stressful, challenging, frustrating, etc but the other side is so special.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

I let Indy out for a while. I can't remember too many details, since I'm doing this Wednesday morning, but it went OK.

Once again, Indy had his eye on Duncan. He tried to play and chase him a few times, but Duncan held his ground. I will say, too, that Duncan started curled up on the couch. There was no reason for him to venture out to the rest of the living space, especially since he knew Indy was out there. He even watched him from there, so I know he realized what he was getting himself into. Yet, he hopped down and walked right toward where Indy was. Once he saw him face to face, he started growling and hissing.

There was a small dustup, BUT.... I DID notice that, even when it sounds bad, Duncan's ears (and Indy's, but especially Duncan's) are straight up, not back and flat. I know that's a good sign.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

I let Indy out for a while. I can't remember too many details, since I'm doing this Wednesday morning, but it went OK.

Once again, Indy had his eye on Duncan. He tried to play and chase him a few times, but Duncan held his ground. I will say, too, that Duncan started curled up on the couch. There was no reason for him to venture out to the rest of the living space, especially since he knew Indy was out there. He even watched him from there, so I know he realized what he was getting himself into. Yet, he hopped down and walked right toward where Indy was. Once he saw him face to face, he started growling and hissing.

There was a small dustup, BUT.... I DID notice that, even when it sounds bad, Duncan's ears (and Indy's, but especially Duncan's) are straight up, not back and flat. I know that's a good sign.
"Tuesday night: I let Indy out for a while. I can't remember too many details, since I'm doing this Wednesday morning, but it went OK." - Ok, let's see

"Once again, Indy had his eye on Duncan." - Yes and I think for a few reasons. One he wants a playmate. Two I think the novelty of "being out" is driving some of it. It is like a kid seeing Santa, it is exciting but if the kid sees Santa everyday then it looses the excitement factor.

"He tried to play and chase him a few times, but Duncan held his ground." - Wow, GREAT JOB Duncan!!! This is what we want. NOW, we need to see what happened next...........

"I will say, too, that Duncan started curled up on the couch." - Great, his place of most confidence.

"There was no reason for him to venture out to the rest of the living space, especially since he knew Indy was out there. He even watched him from there, so I know he realized what he was getting himself into. Yet, he hopped down and walked right toward where Indy was." - WOW!!!! What was Duncan's body language? Did he slink or walk tall? Etc. THIS is a BIG DEAL. If Duncan was afraid, etc there is no way he would do this. Now I need to see what happened next BUT you said it went "OK" at the beginning of this post so I am guessing it didn't escalate. But let's see.

"Once he saw him face to face, he started growling and hissing." - Yep, expected, teaching, lecturing, negotiating.

"There was a small dustup, BUT.... " - DO you remember what exactly happened? Any fur out? How did they act after?

"I DID notice that, even when it sounds bad, Duncan's ears (and Indy's, but especially Duncan's) are straight up, not back and flat. I know that's a good sign." - Yes, that is very good. It often sounds a lot worse than what reality is. The key is if lines are respected and how they act after.

Overall, I would say this is better than ok. I do have those above questions but given the "tone" of your post I get a sense it was fine. But I just want to read it to make sure.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"There was no reason for him to venture out to the rest of the living space, especially since he knew Indy was out there. He even watched him from there, so I know he realized what he was getting himself into. Yet, he hopped down and walked right toward where Indy was." - WOW!!!! What was Duncan's body language? Did he slink or walk tall? Etc. THIS is a BIG DEAL. If Duncan was afraid, etc there is no way he would do this. Now I need to see what happened next BUT you said it went "OK" at the beginning of this post so I am guessing it didn't escalate. But let's see.
At that point, he just walked normally. There was a point a little later on where, after their encounter, he was slinking around the kitchen.

"There was a small dustup, BUT.... " - DO you remember what exactly happened? Any fur out? How did they act after?
No fur or anything. They were in the dining room, and Indy did his typical thing where he was being, well...Indy.
Duncan ran out to the kitchen, Indy followed. It wasn't like an intense follow, he mostly trotted after him. Duncan stood there with his back to Indy, so Indy took his paw and tapped Duncan's tail, which was humerous.

They were in the kitchen a little while. Duncan hissed and growled, while Indy paraded back and forth with his tail held high. He was walking around sniffing things until he got bored and then exited the kitchen. Duncan stayed in there, kind of hunched up, so I put Indy back in the hallway and picked Duncan up for a bit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that point, he just walked normally. There was a point a little later on where, after their encounter, he was slinking around the kitchen.

No fur or anything. They were in the dining room, and Indy did his typical thing where he was being, well...Indy.
Duncan ran out to the kitchen, Indy followed. It wasn't like an intense follow, he mostly trotted after him. Duncan stood there with his back to Indy, so Indy took his paw and tapped Duncan's tail, which was humerous.

They were in the kitchen a little while. Duncan hissed and growled, while Indy paraded back and forth with his tail held high. He was walking around sniffing things until he got bored and then exited the kitchen. Duncan stayed in there, kind of hunched up, so I put Indy back in the hallway and picked Duncan up for a bit.
"At that point, he just walked normally." - Wow, that is great.

"There was a point a little later on where, after their encounter, he was slinking around the kitchen." - Yes, understandable and not surprising. Was there any follow on negativity after Duncan was slinking around?

"No fur or anything." - Great. That tells me they each (and most importantly Indy) know the line and are not wanting to hurt the other. That is very important and very positive.

"They were in the dining room, and Indy did his typical thing where he was being, well...Indy." - Yep

"Duncan ran out to the kitchen, Indy followed. It wasn't like an intense follow, he mostly trotted after him." - THAT is REALLY GOOD. Reinforces the view it is all play driven.

"Duncan stood there with his back to Indy" - WHAT?!?!?!?!!? He can't be too afraid to have his back to him. That is really positive.

"so Indy took his paw and tapped Duncan's tail, which was humerous." - Awwwwww, he wants Duncan to play. That is really positive in telling us his intent BUT also (and more importantly) telling Duncan his intent.

"They were in the kitchen a little while. Duncan hissed and growled, while Indy paraded back and forth with his tail held high. He was walking around sniffing things until he got bored and then exited the kitchen." - GREAT. Indy respected Duncan and then chooses to leave rather than fight etc. Indy is doing all the right things. THAT is VERY helpful.

"Duncan stayed in there, kind of hunched up" - Hmmmm, ok. I wonder why.

" so I put Indy back in the hallway and picked Duncan up for a bit." - One of these times can you just pick him up and let Indy do his thing? Though what you did is fine.

I think this was really positive. They are going to be just fine. No doubt in my mind. We need to clean up some loose ends but they check every box on what we need to see to be confident. Duncan is actually showing progress and Indy is doing like 99% of the right things.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wednesday afternoon:

Indy is currently out in the house. Duncan had been curled up on the couch when I first opened the door. Indy walked over to Duncan several times. Duncan hissed and Indy walked away every time.

Eventually, Indy jumped at Duncan on the couch, hopping right up next to him. Duncan shared his feelings, paws were swiped. Then, Indy crawled to the top of the couch directly above Duncan's head. This didn't go over well, so Duncan left the couch and the room.

Indy semi-slowly went in search of Duncan, who was sitting in the dining room. Duncan ran out to the kitchen, and Indy basically stayed behind in the dining room. I picked Duncan up and put him out on one of the cat trees. Indy promptly followed and jumped right up the tree. Duncan growled and hissed, and Indy just sat there.
Indy grabbed at Duncan's tail, which prompted more hissing and growling, so Indy decided to look out the window instead. (pics below)

Next, Indy wandered in and out of the rooms, and Duncan had his eye on him the whole time. (pic below)

For about 10 minutes now, Indy has been curled up on top of the living room chair, looking out the big window. Duncan is happily laying on the cat tree. I'm afraid to move my chair for fear it might disrupt the peace. :eek:

Uh oh...I spy Duncan walking this way. He's somewhat cautiously walking into the room, but it's not bad at all. Indy is watching him from the chair. Nope...just jumped down, and he wants to know what Duncan is doing. Answer: he was heading to the bedroom to hang out on the bed. Duncan hissed a few times, so I picked Indy up and sat on the chair. I'm hoping Duncan has continued on to the bedroom, as Indy has moved on out to the dining room in the opposite direction.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday afternoon:

Indy is currently out in the house. Duncan had been curled up on the couch when I first opened the door. Indy walked over to Duncan several times. Duncan hissed and Indy walked away every time.

Eventually, Indy jumped at Duncan on the couch, hopping right up next to him. Duncan shared his feelings, paws were swiped. Then, Indy crawled to the top of the couch directly above Duncan's head. This didn't go over well, so Duncan left the couch and the room.

Indy semi-slowly went in search of Duncan, who was sitting in the dining room. Duncan ran out to the kitchen, and Indy basically stayed behind in the dining room. I picked Duncan up and put him out on one of the cat trees. Indy promptly followed and jumped right up the tree. Duncan growled and hissed, and Indy just sat there.
Indy grabbed at Duncan's tail, which prompted more hissing and growling, so Indy decided to look out the window instead. (pics below)

Next, Indy wandered in and out of the rooms, and Duncan had his eye on him the whole time. (pic below)

For about 10 minutes now, Indy has been curled up on top of the living room chair, looking out the big window. Duncan is happily laying on the cat tree. I'm afraid to move my chair for fear it might disrupt the peace. :eek:

Uh oh...I spy Duncan walking this way. He's somewhat cautiously walking into the room, but it's not bad at all. Indy is watching him from the chair. Nope...just jumped down, and he wants to know what Duncan is doing. Answer: he was heading to the bedroom to hang out on the bed. Duncan hissed a few times, so I picked Indy up and sat on the chair. I'm hoping Duncan has continued on to the bedroom, as Indy has moved on out to the dining room in the opposite direction.
"Wednesday afternoon: Indy is currently out in the house." - Great

"Duncan had been curled up on the couch when I first opened the door." - Perfect
"Indy walked over to Duncan several times. Duncan hissed and Indy walked away every time." - :yess: :clap2::hyper: GREAT JOB Indy!!!

"Eventually, Indy jumped at Duncan on the couch, hopping right up next to him." - Awwwwwww.

" Duncan shared his feelings, paws were swiped." - Yep, no swipes landed?

"Then, Indy crawled to the top of the couch directly above Duncan's head." - Wow. You think Indy trusts Duncan????

"This didn't go over well, so Duncan left the couch and the room." - How so? Body language? Did Indy chase?

"Indy semi-slowly went in search of Duncan, who was sitting in the dining room." - Yep, makes sense

" Duncan ran out to the kitchen, and Indy basically stayed behind in the dining room." - Wow, great job Indy!!

"I picked Duncan up and put him out on one of the cat trees. Indy promptly followed and jumped right up the tree. Duncan growled and hissed, and Indy just sat there." - Wow. Indy trusts Duncan.

"Indy grabbed at Duncan's tail, which prompted more hissing and growling, so Indy decided to look out the window instead. (pics below)" - :yess::hyper::clap2: GREAT JOB Indy!!! THAT is exactly what we want. Indy wanted to play and then realizes (and respects) Duncan's wishes and chooses the window. PERFECT!!!

The pics are AMAZING!!! Duncan looks great, Indy is totally fine. AMAZING!!!

"Next, Indy wandered in and out of the rooms, and Duncan had his eye on him the whole time. (pic below)" - Yep

"For about 10 minutes now, Indy has been curled up on top of the living room chair, looking out the big window. Duncan is happily laying on the cat tree. I'm afraid to move my chair for fear it might disrupt the peace. :eek:" - Perfection. This is what builds trust. Perfect!! Yes, I know the feeling, not wanting to move to disrupt.

"Uh oh...I spy Duncan walking this way. He's somewhat cautiously walking into the room, but it's not bad at all." - A sign of confidence and trust.

" Indy is watching him from the chair. Nope...just jumped down, and he wants to know what Duncan is doing." - Of course.

" Answer: he was heading to the bedroom to hang out on the bed. Duncan hissed a few times, so I picked Indy up and sat on the chair." - That was all, hissing?

"I'm hoping Duncan has continued on to the bedroom, as Indy has moved on out to the dining room in the opposite direction." - Did he? I LOVE that Indy went to the dinning room.

"And just now: Just know that Duncan is around the corner growling his little head off, and here is Indy's reaction - little by little, he keeps stretching his body and slowly pulling himself toward Duncan. lol " - Awwwwww, Indy is trying SO HARD to tell Duncan he just wants to play. That is SO ADORABLE!!! Exposing his belly is a total sign of trust.

My goodness Indy is adorable!!!!

Yep, yesterday was a great day. They are intro'd. We have to fine tune but no doubt there is acceptance, trust. It may not feel like it but you have succeeded. :)

Let's keep getting Duncan to trust more.

Thanks for the pictures, they were very helpful. Body language looks great. :clap2:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thursday afternoon:

Duncan is currently sleeping in his carrier in the living room, so I've brought Into into the sun room with me and closed the french doors. He's passed out in Duncan's favorite spot on the cat tree, feet hanging out over the edge. :lol:

Once they wake up from their naps, I'll try putting them together again.

ETA:
They're both out right now, and there's been minimal hissing/growling...more growling than hissing.
For about 5 minutes, there was a little bit of a standoff in the kitchen. Duncan was hunched up on the floor, and Indy sat directly across from him. Indy stared at him the whole time, and I imagine him saying to Duncan, "Duncannnnnnn....look at me...You lovvvvvvvee meeeee!" Duncan, while facing Indy, mostly didn't look at Indy, kind of off to the side.

When Duncan decided it was time to leave, Indy started to follow him out. They were standing side by side, so I gave them each 2 treats. It's been a while since they've gotten any, so I thought it was a good time.

This said, just now - I'm sitting in the sun room, and Duncan came running in with Indy in hot pursuit. Duncan quickly climbed the less popular cat tree, and Indy didn't bother trying to climb up after him. It's not as easy to get up and down, so hopefully this will become Duncan's new place to run to get away.

Duncan remains on the cat tree, Indy is curled up under the dining room table.

Last edited: