Introducing new cats

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday morning:

Another positive feeding, but this time, it only lasted 4 minutes before Duncan was done and headed toward the dining room and his water fountain.

I moved their bowls closer to each other, and both boys ate right away. This time, I also let Indy walk into the room vs carrying him to his spot.

They looked over at each other a couple times, but both went right back to eating. After a couple minutes, Duncan came over for head scratches and grabbed a couple looks over at Indy, who kept eating.

Once Indy was done (and Duncan was out in the dining room,) Indy sat straight up and looked over at Duncan's unattended food bowl. He started walking in that direction. I'm not sure if he was looking for Duncan or the bowl of food. Given his track record, I'm guessing the bowl of food. :lol: I stopped him, though, grabbed his bowl, and put him back in the hallway.

We're done until later this evening.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday night:

It went very well again.

Again, I put Indy's empty bowl out in the living room, so Duncan could examine it. While he did that, I played with Indy to try to wear him out. It never seems to work, as I believe he is the energizer kitty, but I'm sure it helps some.

Before bringing him out to the LR, I got Duncan settled with his food on the opposite side of the LR. I moved his bowl a little closer than last time. He went to it immediately, so I snatched up Indy and brought him out. He went straight to his bowl. Duncan ate for a couple of minutes, and then he came straight over to me, so I could rub his head and scratch his ears. There was no hesitation on his part. He did look over at Indy a few times, but he didn't seem concerned.
After a minute or two of that, he turned around and walked straight over to his bowl and starting eating again...this time, he had his back to Indy the whole time he ate.
After another minute or so of that, he came right back over for some more love. There were periods during that that he sat with his back to Indy.

Indy paid little to no attention to Duncan while he ate. Eventually, after maybe 10 minutes of eating, Indy looked like he was slowing down, and I noticed him eyeing Duncan. I'm not sure what he would've done, but I didn't want to find out. I picked up his food bowl, and he followed immediately, as I put it in the hallway and closed the door.

As I type this, moments after ending their session, Duncan is sprawled out on the LR floor, across the room from me - no worries or concern. Yay!
"Again, I put Indy's empty bowl out in the living room, so Duncan could examine it." - Perfect. A little scent swapping.

"While he did that, I played with Indy to try to wear him out." - Perfect.

"It never seems to work, as I believe he is the energizer kitty, but I'm sure it helps some." - Most importantly it helps in building confidence and territorial security and it maybe drains a little energy. But the former is most important really.

"Before bringing him out to the LR, I got Duncan settled with his food on the opposite side of the LR. I moved his bowl a little closer than last time." - Perfect

"He went to it immediately" - LOVE that.

" so I snatched up Indy and brought him out. He went straight to his bowl." - Perfect and great. Choosing food over shenanigans.

"Duncan ate for a couple of minutes, and then he came straight over to me, so I could rub his head and scratch his ears. There was no hesitation on his part." _ perfect. Love that builds confidence and reassurance and positive association and positive encounter.

"He did look over at Indy a few times, but he didn't seem concerned." - Perfect. Choosing love over shenanigans.

"After a minute or two of that, he turned around and walked straight over to his bowl and starting eating again...this time, he had his back to Indy the whole time he ate." - :yess: :hyper::clap2: EXACTLY what we want.

"After another minute or so of that, he came right back over for some more love. There were periods during that that he sat with his back to Indy." - PERFECT. SO sweet he loves his love!!!

"Indy paid little to no attention to Duncan while he ate." - Perfect.

" Eventually, after maybe 10 minutes of eating, Indy looked like he was slowing down, and I noticed him eyeing Duncan. I'm not sure what he would've done, but I didn't want to find out. I picked up his food bowl, and he followed immediately, as I put it in the hallway and closed the door." - Perfect. I LOVE that he followed the bowl and chose the bowl over investigating Duncan. Again, another positive sign. Great job!!

"As I type this, moments after ending their session, Duncan is sprawled out on the LR floor, across the room from me - no worries or concern. Yay!" - :yess::hyper::clap2:

"Monday morning:"

"Another positive feeding, but this time, it only lasted 4 minutes before Duncan was done and headed toward the dining room and his water fountain." - That is fine. He didn't try to drive Indy into the bathroom, etc.

"I moved their bowls closer to each other, and both boys ate right away." - Perfect.

" This time, I also let Indy walk into the room vs carrying him to his spot." - Great. How did Duncan respond?

"They looked over at each other a couple times, but both went right back to eating." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: EXACTLY what we want to see. Choosing something good (food) over shenanigans.

"After a couple minutes, Duncan came over for head scratches and grabbed a couple looks over at Indy, who kept eating." - Perfect. I am seeing a routine here. :)

"Once Indy was done (and Duncan was out in the dining room,) Indy sat straight up and looked over at Duncan's unattended food bowl. He started walking in that direction. I'm not sure if he was looking for Duncan or the bowl of food. Given his track record, I'm guessing the bowl of food. :lol: I stopped him, though, grabbed his bowl, and put him back in the hallway." - Perfect. It could be a bit of both. If the body language was good it is fine. I love that Duncan was roaming around not worried about defending his territory or worrying about a threat from Indy.

"We're done until later this evening." - Perfect.

Where are Duncan's litter boxes?

Does Duncan stay in the bedroom at night or does he go out, get a drink, etc?

In the next day or two you can give them a little more leeway. Distract as needed.

Then when you feel "adventurous" after that (later this week) or next weekend when you have more time we'll want to bring Indy out into the LR etc and use a toy and play and then if possible feed after. Logistically it is a bit of a challenge but your talent and instincts are good and you'll figure it out.

Also, we'll have to start planning for places for Indy to hang out in the LR etc. Cat tree, comfy bedding, etc. Not sure if you want but cat shelving can look nice and give the cats places to hang out. We'll start planning for them to be able to hang out in the same room and still have some space and ownership.

Keep up the great work!! :cheerleader:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
" This time, I also let Indy walk into the room vs carrying him to his spot." - Great. How did Duncan respond?
I'm not sure he noticed, as it's not as though Indy had to walk past Duncan to get to his bowl.

Where are Duncan's litter boxes?
Duncan's is in the sun room. Indy's will be as well, but for now, it's in the bathroom.

Does Duncan stay in the bedroom at night or does he go out, get a drink, etc?
Not every night. I think he slept in his carrier last night. He came in sometime very early this morning. I got up to go to the bathroom, and he got up to eat. He followed me to the bedroom after that, and I closed the door. This was about the time Indy decided it was time to play, and he was making quite the noise.

Since I've had Indy, I've been keeping an extra bowl of water in my bedroom. I did this simply because I was closing the door at night, and Duncan was in the room with me. I used to bring his food bowl in, too, but the water bowl has been way more popular than I anticipated.

In the next day or two you can give them a little more leeway. Distract as needed.
Sure, but how do you mean exactly?

Also, we'll have to start planning for places for Indy to hang out in the LR etc. Cat tree, comfy bedding, etc. Not sure if you want but cat shelving can look nice and give the cats places to hang out. We'll start planning for them to be able to hang out in the same room and still have some space and ownership.
Well, I already have 2 very large cat trees in front of the sun room windows, and I have "nests" all over the house. When I've allowed him to roam freely, he's never shown much interest in the cat trees. He's shown some interest in the fish tank. :shocked: I got the fish tank for Admiral. He used to LOVE to sit there and watch the fish. He never tried anything funny, but I'm not sure I can say the same for Indy. I guess we'll have to see.
He mostly just likes to hang out near where I am. He likes to lie in one of the nests on the couch, sit in the large front window, or sprawl out on top of the couch. It just depends, but those places seem to be his go-to. Once he starts spending more time out and about, I'll bring his carrier out to the LR as well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure he noticed, as it's not as though Indy had to walk past Duncan to get to his bowl.

Duncan's is in the sun room. Indy's will be as well, but for now, it's in the bathroom.

Not every night. I think he slept in his carrier last night. He came in sometime very early this morning. I got up to go to the bathroom, and he got up to eat. He followed me to the bedroom after that, and I closed the door. This was about the time Indy decided it was time to play, and he was making quite the noise.

Since I've had Indy, I've been keeping an extra bowl of water in my bedroom. I did this simply because I was closing the door at night, and Duncan was in the room with me. I used to bring his food bowl in, too, but the water bowl has been way more popular than I anticipated.

Sure, but how do you mean exactly?

Well, I already have 2 very large cat trees in front of the sun room windows, and I have "nests" all over the house. When I've allowed him to roam freely, he's never shown much interest in the cat trees. He's shown some interest in the fish tank. :shocked: I got the fish tank for Admiral. He used to LOVE to sit there and watch the fish. He never tried anything funny, but I'm not sure I can say the same for Indy. I guess we'll have to see.
He mostly just likes to hang out near where I am. He likes to lie in one of the nests on the couch, sit in the large front window, or sprawl out on top of the couch. It just depends, but those places seem to be his go-to. Once he starts spending more time out and about, I'll bring his carrier out to the LR as well.
"I'm not sure he noticed, as it's not as though Indy had to walk past Duncan to get to his bowl." - Great. If he was really worried about Indy he would have noticed and reacted.

"Duncan's is in the sun room. Indy's will be as well, but for now, it's in the bathroom." - Ok, thank you. We wont do any site swapping overnight then and just do daytime sessions which is fine.

"Not every night. I think he slept in his carrier last night. He came in sometime very early this morning. I got up to go to the bathroom, and he got up to eat. He followed me to the bedroom after that, and I closed the door." - Are there 2 bedroom doors or just one?

"This was about the time Indy decided it was time to play, and he was making quite the noise." - Yep, they like to hear movement.

"Since I've had Indy, I've been keeping an extra bowl of water in my bedroom. I did this simply because I was closing the door at night, and Duncan was in the room with me. I used to bring his food bowl in, too, but the water bowl has been way more popular than I anticipated." - Pretty good. Water is good.

"Sure, but how do you mean exactly?" - Give them a little more time to look at each other, roam, etc. Not face to face but to see each other, distract so they look away, see their reactions and body language, etc. If Duncan is in the kitchen and Indy goes towards the sunroom let him explore a little. Have the toy ready. Use words to distract if needed. Things like that. Does that help a little? Focus on maximizing positives, distract to get them to look away from each other (which is a great sign).

"Well, I already have 2 very large cat trees in front of the sun room windows, and I have "nests" all over the house." - Perfect.

"When I've allowed him to roam freely, he's never shown much interest in the cat trees." - That is fine.

"He's shown some interest in the fish tank. :shocked: I got the fish tank for Admiral. He used to LOVE to sit there and watch the fish." - Yep, they can be fascinated by them.

"He never tried anything funny, but I'm not sure I can say the same for Indy. I guess we'll have to see." - Yes. :/

"He mostly just likes to hang out near where I am. He likes to lie in one of the nests on the couch, sit in the large front window, or sprawl out on top of the couch. It just depends, but those places seem to be his go-to. Once he starts spending more time out and about, I'll bring his carrier out to the LR as well." - When you mention "he" are you talking about Indy or Duncan? It sounds like Duncan. What we will do is probably have Duncan with you and let Indy roam a bit (in time) and see how Duncan responds. You could be the "positive association" to help Duncan accept Indy in Duncan's "territory.

It is more art than science so we'll play it by ear. But you have a good instinct so if you get the general strategic objective you can do the tactical actions. It really is art. It really is all about positive encounters (quality over quantity). Building trust. They are well on the way if not already there so it is really just fine tuning and reinforcement now. In Duncan's territory (LR/Sunroom) it is the final test.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Not every night. I think he slept in his carrier last night. He came in sometime very early this morning. I got up to go to the bathroom, and he got up to eat. He followed me to the bedroom after that, and I closed the door." - Are there 2 bedroom doors or just one?
No, there's one. Indy is kept in the bathroom at night.

"Sure, but how do you mean exactly?" - Give them a little more time to look at each other, roam, etc. Not face to face but to see each other, distract so they look away, see their reactions and body language, etc. If Duncan is in the kitchen and Indy goes towards the sunroom let him explore a little. Have the toy ready. Use words to distract if needed. Things like that. Does that help a little? Focus on maximizing positives, distract to get them to look away from each other (which is a great sign).
I'll give it a shot.

"He mostly just likes to hang out near where I am. He likes to lie in one of the nests on the couch, sit in the large front window, or sprawl out on top of the couch. It just depends, but those places seem to be his go-to. Once he starts spending more time out and about, I'll bring his carrier out to the LR as well." - When you mention "he" are you talking about Indy or Duncan? It sounds like Duncan. What we will do is probably have Duncan with you and let Indy roam a bit (in time) and see how Duncan responds. You could be the "positive association" to help Duncan accept Indy in Duncan's "territory.
I was talking about Indy, when I let him roam the house and Duncan is sleeping in the bedroom.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday night:

I decided to let them have a little breathing room, as you suggested.

They started off by devouring their meals. When Duncan was done, he came right over to me, and I scratched his ears. Right after, he sat down next to me, back toward Indy's direction.

Then...Indy saw the unattended food bowl. Immediately, he sets off for it. He stopped to look in the fireplace first, and then the food. I snatched Duncan's bowl up, so Indy went straight back to his bowl.

Duncan was still sitting where I left him, a few feet away from Indy, kind of off to the side.

Indy ate a bit more, and at some point, Duncan made his way back to the side of the room where his food bowl was. The entryway is right there, so Duncan went in there and half-laid down He didn't look terribly comfortable, but there he was.

Indy left his food bowl, and without fear, he started heading in that direction. He got within a few feet, and Duncan started growling and kept growling. I went over with the toy, and I tried, in vain, to distract Indy. He couldn't care less about that toy, but he didn't try to go after Duncan in that moment either. Instead, he headed off toward the dining room and sun room. He peaked here and there, and Duncan stayed in the entryway. I pet Duncan. He was okay, but wasn't thrilled.
Indy weaved in and out of the 3 rooms, eventually coming back into the LR.

By this time, Duncan had made his way to the far side of the coffee table. He was walking fairly low, lower than normal, but not belly crawling across the floor or anything. Indy headed that way, too, ending up several feet away. I continued trying to distract Indy, but he had his eye in Duncan's direction. He (Indy) hopped up from where he was sitting, and he legitimately tried to head in Duncan's direction. I think Duncan was growling at this point, too, but I'm not 100% sure. I corralled him using the fishing pole toy, so he ended up walking behind the recliner, around to his food bowl. At this point, I decided to call it quits. I picked up his bowl, and he dutifully followed me into the hallway, and I closed the door.

As I am typing this, Duncan is back to eating. I had put his food bowl back down, once Indy was back in the hallway. I just called his name, and he came trotting right over. He's acting completely normal, and it's been maybe 5 minutes since I put Indy back in the hallway. He was fine right away, actually.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday night:

I decided to let them have a little breathing room, as you suggested.

They started off by devouring their meals. When Duncan was done, he came right over to me, and I scratched his ears. Right after, he sat down next to me, back toward Indy's direction.

Then...Indy saw the unattended food bowl. Immediately, he sets off for it. He stopped to look in the fireplace first, and then the food. I snatched Duncan's bowl up, so Indy went straight back to his bowl.

Duncan was still sitting where I left him, a few feet away from Indy, kind of off to the side.

Indy ate a bit more, and at some point, Duncan made his way back to the side of the room where his food bowl was. The entryway is right there, so Duncan went in there and half-laid down He didn't look terribly comfortable, but there he was.

Indy left his food bowl, and without fear, he started heading in that direction. He got within a few feet, and Duncan started growling and kept growling. I went over with the toy, and I tried, in vain, to distract Indy. He couldn't care less about that toy, but he didn't try to go after Duncan in that moment either. Instead, he headed off toward the dining room and sun room. He peaked here and there, and Duncan stayed in the entryway. I pet Duncan. He was okay, but wasn't thrilled.
Indy weaved in and out of the 3 rooms, eventually coming back into the LR.

By this time, Duncan had made his way to the far side of the coffee table. He was walking fairly low, lower than normal, but not belly crawling across the floor or anything. Indy headed that way, too, ending up several feet away. I continued trying to distract Indy, but he had his eye in Duncan's direction. He (Indy) hopped up from where he was sitting, and he legitimately tried to head in Duncan's direction. I think Duncan was growling at this point, too, but I'm not 100% sure. I corralled him using the fishing pole toy, so he ended up walking behind the recliner, around to his food bowl. At this point, I decided to call it quits. I picked up his bowl, and he dutifully followed me into the hallway, and I closed the door.

As I am typing this, Duncan is back to eating. I had put his food bowl back down, once Indy was back in the hallway. I just called his name, and he came trotting right over. He's acting completely normal, and it's been maybe 5 minutes since I put Indy back in the hallway. He was fine right away, actually.
"Monday night: I decided to let them have a little breathing room, as you suggested."- Great

"They started off by devouring their meals. When Duncan was done, he came right over to me, and I scratched his ears. Right after, he sat down next to me, back toward Indy's direction."- Perfect

"Then...Indy saw the unattended food bowl. Immediately, he sets off for it. He stopped to look in the fireplace first, and then the food. I snatched Duncan's bowl up, so Indy went straight back to his bowl." - Perfect. How far away was Duncan (at the nearest point)? Love that Indy did not go for Duncan. How did Duncan react?

"Duncan was still sitting where I left him, a few feet away from Indy, kind of off to the side." - Great!!! Question answered

"Indy ate a bit more" - Perfect

" and at some point, Duncan made his way back to the side of the room where his food bowl was." - So away from Indy?

" The entryway is right there" - To the house, correct?

" so Duncan went in there and half-laid down He didn't look terribly comfortable, but there he was." - Ok, that is fine. No negativity so far

"Indy left his food bowl, and without fear, he started heading in that direction. He got within a few feet, and Duncan started growling and kept growling." - Ok

" I went over with the toy, and I tried, in vain, to distract Indy. He couldn't care less about that toy, but he didn't try to go after Duncan in that moment either." - Ok

" Instead, he headed off toward the dining room and sun room." - So Indy chose to redirect himself and moved away from Duncan? If so, THAT is AMAZING!!!

"He peaked here and there, and Duncan stayed in the entryway. I pet Duncan. He was okay, but wasn't thrilled." - To be expected as Indy is now "invading" Duncan's territory. Great job on reassuring Duncan.

"Indy weaved in and out of the 3 rooms, eventually coming back into the LR." - Perfect, more interested in exploring than messing with Duncan, That is important for Duncan and to see where Indy is.

"By this time, Duncan had made his way to the far side of the coffee table. He was walking fairly low, lower than normal, but not belly crawling across the floor or anything." - That is fine, totally normal.

"Indy headed that way, too, ending up several feet away." - Yep. This is the "more leeway" I was talking about.

"I continued trying to distract Indy, but he had his eye in Duncan's direction."- Good try.

"He (Indy) hopped up from where he was sitting, and he legitimately tried to head in Duncan's direction." - Yep, normal.

" I think Duncan was growling at this point, too, but I'm not 100% sure." - I would expect that.

"I corralled him using the fishing pole toy, so he ended up walking behind the recliner, around to his food bowl." - Great job. Avoiding negativity is a positive.

" At this point, I decided to call it quits. I picked up his bowl, and he dutifully followed me into the hallway, and I closed the door." - Perfect. GREAT job!!!

"As I am typing this, Duncan is back to eating. I had put his food bowl back down, once Indy was back in the hallway. I just called his name, and he came trotting right over. He's acting completely normal, and it's been maybe 5 minutes since I put Indy back in the hallway. He was fine right away, actually." - :yess: :hyper::clap2: AWESOME!!!

I would say this was terrific. Indy showed Duncan he isn't an ":issue". Duncan communicated with Indy and Indy respected it. Indy chose to re-direct himself and later was able to be re-directed by you. Duncan was unsure but rebounded quickly as negativity was avoided.

Rinse and repeat. You did an amazing job so just keep it up. You did it like a pro. :cheerleader:

From the previous post - "I was talking about Indy, when I let him roam the house and Duncan is sleeping in the bedroom." - WOW, THAT is GREAT!!! He got comfortable quickly.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Then...Indy saw the unattended food bowl. Immediately, he sets off for it. He stopped to look in the fireplace first, and then the food. I snatched Duncan's bowl up, so Indy went straight back to his bowl." - Perfect. How far away was Duncan (at the nearest point)? Love that Indy did not go for Duncan. How did Duncan react?
Either he didn't notice, or he wasn't bothered.

" and at some point, Duncan made his way back to the side of the room where his food bowl was." - So away from Indy?

" The entryway is right there" - To the house, correct?
Correct and correct.

" Instead, he headed off toward the dining room and sun room." - So Indy chose to redirect himself and moved away from Duncan? If so, THAT is AMAZING!!!
I think I might've directed him with the fishing pole toy. The toy didn't distract him, but I think it helped guide him away.

From the previous post - "I was talking about Indy, when I let him roam the house and Duncan is sleeping in the bedroom." - WOW, THAT is GREAT!!! He got comfortable quickly.
Definitely. Confidence is NOT lacking in that cat!

We will give it another go tonight. I had an early class this morning, so I just put their food down in their spaces and left.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either he didn't notice, or he wasn't bothered.

Correct and correct.

I think I might've directed him with the fishing pole toy. The toy didn't distract him, but I think it helped guide him away.

Definitely. Confidence is NOT lacking in that cat!

We will give it another go tonight. I had an early class this morning, so I just put their food down in their spaces and left.
"Either he didn't notice, or he wasn't bothered." - Yep, either way positive. If he isn't paying attention then he isn't feeling threatened and if he did notice and wasn't bothered it is positive. I suspect he noticed and wasn't bothered.

"Correct and correct." - Great

"I think I might've directed him with the fishing pole toy. The toy didn't distract him, but I think it helped guide him away." - Great

"Definitely. Confidence is NOT lacking in that cat!" - I suspect that is helping a lot with this intro. A confident cat is more likely to accept and be accepted. Really helpful.

"We will give it another go tonight. I had an early class this morning, so I just put their food down in their spaces and left." - Perfect. I admire you being able to go to an early class. On so many levels. I wish I had the energy................ Nice to be young!! Good for you!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

This one lasted 10 minutes.
They both ate immediately. I would say Duncan watched Indy more than the other way around. After 2 or 3 minutes, Duncan came over for an ear scratch, and then he took a few steps away from me. I would say he was 7 feet away from Indy, and he had his back toward that direction. He stood there for a minute or two, and then he made his way back to his bowl. I don't think he actually ate anymore before heading into the entryway and hunkering down.

Indy continued eating, and then he also made his way in that direction. I had the fishing pole toy ready, but I always wanted to see what would transpire. He walked right over near Duncan who immediately started growling and hissing. Indy didn't move any closer. This happened a few times, and either Indy would sprawl out nearby, or he would wander into the dining room/sun room and back. At one point, he hopped on the cedar chest that's in front of a large glass window. Of course, it's night, so he couldn't see anything. That's one of his favorite places, though. Since he couldn't look out, he hopped down and, again, sprawled out near Duncan. I would say they were a 2-3 feet apart. Duncan continued with his growling and hissing, but it didn't see to bother Indy.

I decided to give the toy a try. He chased it, rolled around with it, etc. I dragged it through the LR in an attempt to naturally get Indy back near the hallway. This worked. I picked up his bowl, and he walked back into the hallway.

It's been a few minutes, and Duncan is out and about. I just called him, and he came trotting over for head rubs, so he's good. :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

This one lasted 10 minutes.
They both ate immediately. I would say Duncan watched Indy more than the other way around. After 2 or 3 minutes, Duncan came over for an ear scratch, and then he took a few steps away from me. I would say he was 7 feet away from Indy, and he had his back toward that direction. He stood there for a minute or two, and then he made his way back to his bowl. I don't think he actually ate anymore before heading into the entryway and hunkering down.

Indy continued eating, and then he also made his way in that direction. I had the fishing pole toy ready, but I always wanted to see what would transpire. He walked right over near Duncan who immediately started growling and hissing. Indy didn't move any closer. This happened a few times, and either Indy would sprawl out nearby, or he would wander into the dining room/sun room and back. At one point, he hopped on the cedar chest that's in front of a large glass window. Of course, it's night, so he couldn't see anything. That's one of his favorite places, though. Since he couldn't look out, he hopped down and, again, sprawled out near Duncan. I would say they were a 2-3 feet apart. Duncan continued with his growling and hissing, but it didn't see to bother Indy.

I decided to give the toy a try. He chased it, rolled around with it, etc. I dragged it through the LR in an attempt to naturally get Indy back near the hallway. This worked. I picked up his bowl, and he walked back into the hallway.

It's been a few minutes, and Duncan is out and about. I just called him, and he came trotting over for head rubs, so he's good. :)
"Tuesday night: This one lasted 10 minutes." - Perfect

"They both ate immediately." - Great. Positive Association. And choosing something good (food) over shenanigans.

"I would say Duncan watched Indy more than the other way around." - To be expected as it is Duncan's "territory" that Indy is in. So there is some uncertainty.

"After 2 or 3 minutes, Duncan came over for an ear scratch, and then he took a few steps away from me. I would say he was 7 feet away from Indy, and he had his back toward that direction. He stood there for a minute or two, and then he made his way back to his bowl. I don't think he actually ate anymore before heading into the entryway and hunkering down." - Perfect. He wanted Love (reassurance). He got it. Turns his back on Indy (positive). Indy didn't do anything negative (trust building). And Duncan was like "yep, been there, done that, all is fine".

"Indy continued eating" - Perfect shows Duncan (and us) that he choses something good over messing with Duncan.

" and then he also made his way in that direction. I had the fishing pole toy ready, but I always wanted to see what would transpire." - Good job.

" He walked right over near Duncan who immediately started growling and hissing." - Expected. Tells us Duncan does not yet totally trust.

"Indy didn't move any closer." - And this is important. Indy respects that communication. So this tells Duncan that INdy doesn;t mean harm, that he respects Duncan's wishes. It doesn't escalate.

"This happened a few times, and either Indy would sprawl out nearby, or he would wander into the dining room/sun room and back." _ Sprawling out is showing Duncan he not only doesn't mean harm but he trusts Duncan. This is really important and also very positive.

"At one point, he hopped on the cedar chest that's in front of a large glass window. Of course, it's night, so he couldn't see anything. That's one of his favorite places, though. Since he couldn't look out, he hopped down and, again, sprawled out near Duncan. I would say they were a 2-3 feet apart. Duncan continued with his growling and hissing, but it didn't see to bother Indy." - Perfect. Indy doing his part. Duncan is unsure BUT Indy is showing him he doesn't mean harm or anything negative. The process of building trust. The fact it doesn't bother Indy tells me Duncan isn't being unreasonable and I LOVE that Indy is respecting Duncan. EXACTLY what we want to see.

"I decided to give the toy a try. He chased it, rolled around with it, etc. I dragged it through the LR in an attempt to naturally get Indy back near the hallway. This worked. I picked up his bowl, and he walked back into the hallway." - PERFECT!!! EXACTLY the right thing to do. And it shows Duncan that Indy doesn't mean any harm and can be focused on something else.

"It's been a few minutes, and Duncan is out and about. I just called him, and he came trotting over for head rubs, so he's good. :) " - Perfect. No lingering negativity. Acting normally. Fantastic.

Indy did his part, you did a great job. Honestly, perfect.

I am ecstatic. Just rinse and repeat. Keep doing what you are doing reinforcing these positive associations and positive encounters. You and the cats are doing a GREAT job!! :cheerleader:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wednesday Night:

They both ate immediately, looking over at each other from time to time.
Indy actually broke away from his food bowl 2 or 3 times to come over for head scratches. Duncan also came over for one and then sat on the far side of the coffee table.

Once Indy was done eating, he started looking for Duncan. This time, I had a couple different toys with me - a rattle ball and a catnip mouse. I immediately threw the rattle ball, and he chased that down. Duncan watched the whole thing.

Then back and forth - interest in Duncan, interest in the toys, interest in Duncan, interest in the toys. Each time he showed interest in Duncan, Duncan would growl and hiss. Indy would immediately hit the deck, not sprawled out and not in a pounce sort of way. Then, I'd distract him with a toy.

Eventually, Duncan moved over by the entryway, and Indy soon followed, coming within a couple feet of Duncan, who...you guessed it - growled and hissed. Indy hit the floor. I grabbed the rattle ball one more time and tossed it into the hallway. Indy sprang to life and chased it down, I closed the door. Game over.

I did forget to mention that Tuesday night, after the meet and greet, Duncan was drinking water in my bedroom. Indy was safely tucked away in the bathroom, and I walked into the bedroom. Duncan swung his head around, as if he was afraid it might be Indy. Once he saw it was me, he went back to the water.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday Night:

They both ate immediately, looking over at each other from time to time.
Indy actually broke away from his food bowl 2 or 3 times to come over for head scratches. Duncan also came over for one and then sat on the far side of the coffee table.

Once Indy was done eating, he started looking for Duncan. This time, I had a couple different toys with me - a rattle ball and a catnip mouse. I immediately threw the rattle ball, and he chased that down. Duncan watched the whole thing.

Then back and forth - interest in Duncan, interest in the toys, interest in Duncan, interest in the toys. Each time he showed interest in Duncan, Duncan would growl and hiss. Indy would immediately hit the deck, not sprawled out and not in a pounce sort of way. Then, I'd distract him with a toy.

Eventually, Duncan moved over by the entryway, and Indy soon followed, coming within a couple feet of Duncan, who...you guessed it - growled and hissed. Indy hit the floor. I grabbed the rattle ball one more time and tossed it into the hallway. Indy sprang to life and chased it down, I closed the door. Game over.

I did forget to mention that Tuesday night, after the meet and greet, Duncan was drinking water in my bedroom. Indy was safely tucked away in the bathroom, and I walked into the bedroom. Duncan swung his head around, as if he was afraid it might be Indy. Once he saw it was me, he went back to the water.
"They both ate immediately, looking over at each other from time to time." - Perfect.

"Indy actually broke away from his food bowl 2 or 3 times to come over for head scratches." - Interesting.

"Duncan also came over for one and then sat on the far side of the coffee table." - Awwwwwww, he loves that.

"Once Indy was done eating, he started looking for Duncan. This time, I had a couple different toys with me - a rattle ball and a catnip mouse. I immediately threw the rattle ball, and he chased that down. Duncan watched the whole thing." - PERFECT!!! I LVOE that he chooses the toys over messing with Duncan. Helps Duncan build trust.

"Then back and forth - interest in Duncan, interest in the toys, interest in Duncan, interest in the toys. Each time he showed interest in Duncan, Duncan would growl and hiss." - Indy so wants to be friends. Duncan is just not there yet.

"Indy would immediately hit the deck, not sprawled out and not in a pounce sort of way." - Playfully or submissively?

"Then, I'd distract him with a toy." - Perfect, great job.

"Eventually, Duncan moved over by the entryway, and Indy soon followed, coming within a couple feet of Duncan, who...you guessed it - growled and hissed. Indy hit the floor. I grabbed the rattle ball one more time and tossed it into the hallway. Indy sprang to life and chased it down, I closed the door. Game over." - Perfect. Great job distracting.

"I did forget to mention that Tuesday night, after the meet and greet, Duncan was drinking water in my bedroom. Indy was safely tucked away in the bathroom, and I walked into the bedroom. Duncan swung his head around, as if he was afraid it might be Indy. Once he saw it was me, he went back to the water." - That is normal. What is good about this is nothing negative happened which builds trust.

Overall, I would say this was great. You are doing great, Indy is doing great and Duncan is building trust and doing what resident cats tend to do (warn the new cat not to try anything).

Feel free to reassure with words as well. "It's ok", "Good Boy Duncan/Indy" etc.

This weekend when you have more time we'll extend the time. Work on reassuring Duncan and distracting him a touch (if possible) as well. Keeping yourself safe.

Keep up the great work. I think we are pretty close now. Great job.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Then back and forth - interest in Duncan, interest in the toys, interest in Duncan, interest in the toys. Each time he showed interest in Duncan, Duncan would growl and hiss." - Indy so wants to be friends. Duncan is just not there yet.
Yep! I'm just so glad that Indy hasn't lost his confidence through all of this.

"Indy would immediately hit the deck, not sprawled out and not in a pounce sort of way." - Playfully or submissively?
I would think more submissively, since he did it every time Duncan started hissing or growling, and he wasn't in a pounce kind of position.

Feel free to reassure with words as well. "It's ok", "Good Boy Duncan/Indy" etc.
I definitely do this all the time.

This weekend when you have more time we'll extend the time. Work on reassuring Duncan and distracting him a touch (if possible) as well. Keeping yourself safe.
Sounds good!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! I'm just so glad that Indy hasn't lost his confidence through all of this.

I would think more submissively, since he did it every time Duncan started hissing or growling, and he wasn't in a pounce kind of position.

I definitely do this all the time.

Sounds good!
"Yep! I'm just so glad that Indy hasn't lost his confidence through all of this." - Agreed. That is why it is going quicker than expected.

"I would think more submissively, since he did it every time Duncan started hissing or growling, and he wasn't in a pounce kind of position." - Great, that is what I suspected. He is trying to show Duncan he doesn't mean anything negative. Very good and helpful.

"I definitely do this all the time." - Perfect. You are really important to him. A big part of his confidence.

"Sounds good!" - Great.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thursday night:

I feel like tonight wasn't as successful as the other few times.

It started off as normal - both eating. After a couple minutes, Duncan came over for head scratches and then parked himself on the right side of the coffee table.
Here's the layout -
LR/hallway door and directly ahead is where Indy's bowl is.
My recliner, and where I sit during these intros is to the right of that by a foot and a half or so.
Slightly ahead/to the right of the recliner is the coffee table. That sits about 4 feet away from Indy's food bowl.

The coffee table is a 2 level table, in other words, there's a lower shelf.

So Duncan sat on the right side of the coffee table, peering between the levels, watching Indy.
Indy would come over for a head scratch or to see what Duncan was doing, and I'd direct him back to his bowl. After a couple minutes, he walked straight ahead in the LR out to the front entryway. He sniffed around for a minute or so and then made his way back.

Eventually, he made his way to the coffee table, and the stare downs began. First, he made his way around the coffee table to Duncan and raised a paw/took a swing at Duncan. I managed to redirect. Then, he climbed on the shelf and made his way over to Duncan...who, naturally, was still growling up a storm.

Then, Indy slid out from the shelf and laid on the ground (opposite side of the coffee table). Duncan continued growling.

Indy then decided on an aerial attack, jumping up on the coffee table to get to Duncan. Duncan ran toward the dining room, and Indy was in hot pursuit.

When I got out there, Duncan was sitting between the 4 legs of a dining room chair, growling, and Indy was nearby, watching him. Indy laid down and continued staring.

At this point, I'd decided Duncan had had enough, so I grabbed the rattle ball, tossed it into the hallway, and Indy raced to chase it down.

I got Indy settled back down in the bedroom/hallway area, and then I went to check on Duncan. He was still sitting under the dining room chair, so I sat on the ground for a minute and rubbed his head. I came back out to the LR and sat in the recliner. Maybe a minute or 2 later, he was walking out toward me. I put my hand down, called him, and he came trotting right over. I scratched his head, and then he hopped up on the arm of the recliner. He's on the other arm now. He seems calm and right back to being my typical sweet boy.

I worry that Indy is always going to want to attack or pursue Duncan. If he wants Duncan to like him, he sure didn't win any points tonight!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I worry that Indy is always going to want to attack or pursue Duncan.
Not always, and I think attack is a strong word here.

This is one of the first times Indy has had a chance (from his perspective) to interact with an interesting "other cat". The fact that he was so easily distracted by the rattle ball says to me that he doesn't have bad intentions towards Duncan.

Also, that Duncan himself came out and was his normal loving self in such an incredibly short period of time after Indy left the vicinity speaks huge volumes about a positive atmosphere.